Andy Copping Talks acts for 2012

Guest luckysalt

Its rare that a headliner will play 2 hours of all hits. Usually a band might have a new album out or coming out so they will throw a few songs from the new album.

When it comes to QOTSA i think if they got a chance they could pull it off especially if bands like MCR/Offspring/Lostprophets headlined

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing I find with qotsa quite funny. On their day (or night as it's more apt), they'd absolutely kill it. Don't judge Josh Homme's ability to perform on TCV, who should have never been that high but were due to the people involved.

People stating "x, y and z" are nowhere near big enough to headline need to realise that it creates a vicious circle for download, since they alienate themselves from bands that are capeable of headlining, who in turn wont get the shot, they'll run out of options by having such a small pool of acts they think are acceptable to headline, or just get continuous repeat bookings.

I enjoyed download when i went, but they need to be realistic. Sonisphere have shown in two years they're willing to take the odd risk (Biffy), willing to do things other metal festivals don't cater for (Booking a comedian in a prominent position), and actually branch away from the metal moniker. That along with their booking power (Multiple locations plus same weekend as t/ oxygen) and I could very well see them beating out all the competition in their field unless download start offering something different.

The whole thing I find with qotsa quite funny. On their day (or night as it's more apt), they'd absolutely kill it. Don't judge Josh Homme's ability to perform on TCV, who should have never been that high but were due to the people involved.

People stating "x, y and z" are nowhere near big enough to headline need to realise that it creates a vicious circle for download, since they alienate themselves from bands that are capeable of headlining, who in turn wont get the shot, they'll run out of options by having such a small pool of acts they think are acceptable to headline, or just get continuous repeat bookings.

I enjoyed download when i went, but they need to be realistic. Sonisphere have shown in two years they're willing to take the odd risk (Biffy), willing to do things other metal festivals don't cater for (Booking a comedian in a prominent position), and actually branch away from the metal moniker. That along with their booking power (Multiple locations plus same weekend as t/ oxygen) and I could very well see them beating out all the competition in their field unless download start offering something different.

The difference is that Biffy are at the highest they've ever been popularity & sales wise, it's all about timing. Machine Head are at the highest they've ever been after The Blackening & are about to embark on their first ever arena tour. QOTSA peaked at Songs For The Deaf & due to constant line-up changes, Josh Homme is the only original member! That's just about passable for someone as iconic as GnR but even they get slated for it.

I agree that new bands need to be given a shot at headlining & Andy Copping has said what makes a 'headliner', the combination of record/ticket sales & being a proven draw. Slipknot's first headline slot anywhere was only in 2009 & they'd done a couple of arena tours by that point.

There's no way a band who just play 'Academy' venues will be given a headline slot, hence why all eyes are on how well this Machine Head arena jaunt sells. IMO they're the next band to be given the chance at Download (they'd never headline R&L) seeing as they're a proven hit with the Donington masses & pull a headline sized crowd whenever they play, they just need the ticket numbers behind them to justify that slot.

achinehead wont headline Download yet, not big enough, sub main or second stage headliner will be their position next year.

The act to move up is Paramore without doubt, their last festivals they subbed at Reading which in that place would normally be high enough to be considered at Download as headliner, plus sales constant high, huge crossover appeal and two huge arena tours sold out, and not sold out over the period of months and months like Machinehead will be, but sold out straight away. Thats the draw Andy Copping is after, plus they don't play festivals ofton, haven't played Download for years and thats when they were small time, nd they haven't ever played Soni. The thing is though I guess its how their next album does, cus I thought the new single was very poppy and if they're losing their rock sound in favour of pop, he may not risk the booking. Mind you it didn't stop him with Hollywood Undead and promoting the f**k out of them and then the album was shocking and they were cack at Doni and people walked off.

achinehead wont headline Download yet, not big enough, sub main or second stage headliner will be their position next year.

The act to move up is Paramore without doubt, their last festivals they subbed at Reading which in that place would normally be high enough to be considered at Download as headliner, plus sales constant high, huge crossover appeal and two huge arena tours sold out, and not sold out over the period of months and months like Machinehead will be, but sold out straight away. Thats the draw Andy Copping is after, plus they don't play festivals ofton, haven't played Download for years and thats when they were small time, nd they haven't ever played Soni. The thing is though I guess its how their next album does, cus I thought the new single was very poppy and if they're losing their rock sound in favour of pop, he may not risk the booking. Mind you it didn't stop him with Hollywood Undead and promoting the f**k out of them and then the album was shocking and they were cack at Doni and people walked off.

I was only citing Machine Head as they were one of the handful of bands that Mr Copping listed as future mainstage headliners (that hadn't headlined before), the list IIRC was MH, Paramore, Pendulum, BFMV, A7X & ADTR (although he said ADTR were a couple of years away).

Paramore look good on paper but I'm unsure how they'd fare with the Download crowd, especially as it's a much older general demographic that at R&L? I've only ever seen Paramore the once, at Leeds last year. They were OK but for me didn't have the 'wow' factor I was expecting. I've read that the audience at their own shows is considerably younger, is this fitting with the average 'Downloader'?

Hey guys, my bad on the Velvet Revolver lol, totally forgot he was continuing his own stuff next year.

Chase and Status below is a very good thought. Original booking too and not the just recycled Limp Bizkit.

You agree with the rest? Evanescence are bound to make an appearance

^ all very possible. I put Limp Bizkit under Paramore too as I couldn't think which band would play directly before them.

Although if Evanescence were clashing with Rammstein on the 2nd stage I think I'd cry lol. How about Journey to headline 2nd stage against Rammstein (or Machine Head :rolleyes:)?

Hey guys, my bad on the Velvet Revolver lol, totally forgot he was continuing his own stuff next year.

Chase and Status below is a very good thought. Original booking too and not the just recycled Limp Bizkit.

You agree with the rest? Evanescence are bound to make an appearance

Oh dear, why this obsession with Chase & Status? :huh: That may be an original booking for Download but, seeing as they're playing every other festival this year, it's hardly original as festivals go :huh:

Personally, we're a bit too old for school discos ........ ;) But how about Prodigy? - we missed them when they played the other year ...

Oh dear, why this obsession with Chase & Status? :huh: That may be an original booking for Download but, seeing as they're playing every other festival this year, it's hardly original as festivals go :huh:

Personally, we're a bit too old for school discos ........ ;) But how about Prodigy? - we missed them when they played the other year ...

^ all very possible. I put Limp Bizkit under Paramore too as I couldn't think which band would play directly before them.

Although if Evanescence were clashing with Rammstein on the 2nd stage I think I'd cry lol. How about Journey to headline 2nd stage against Rammstein (or Machine Head :rolleyes:)?

I can not believe people actually want Paramore or Nickleback to headline a festival like Download, or 30STM. 2012 is supposed to be the biggest Download so far and you want those crappy bands. I've seen them all, Paramore and 30STM at Rock Werchter and Nickleback at Pinkpop and all played midday and all were crap...never headliner for Download, NEVER....in my opinion.

Andy has said next year(10 year anniversary) will be big so i'm expecting names like Rammstein, Pearl Jam, Tool, Van Halen, Kiss, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Pink Floyd or The Rolling Stones...the last two in my dreams maybe :) My guess is Iron Maiden - Metallica - Kiss .....but my hope is Pink Floyd - Pearl Jam - Kiss, with Soundgarden playing same day as Pearl Jam.

Edited by Gossard