What changes would make 2013 even better

Guest dingbat2

Right, firstly no negativity here please, this is meant to be a positive thread!

I have read a few great threads in the last couple of weeks about what didn't quite work this year and what needs to be looked at. So, the Eavii have two years to have a long look at things and make a few changes, to make 2013 something really special. What needs to be changed? The areas I think that need to be looked at again are:

1. The Dance Village - an excellent thread on this elsewhere, I agree, it doesn't quite work at the moment, not much atmosphere, more of a walk throught to other stages, lots of sound bleeding between the stages. Too many stages. I think they either need to move this area, provide a theme, move some stages to the middle of the ares so its not such a no mans land in the middle? Needs more of a character / identity all of its own. Perhaps fewer DJ sets? Saying that Oxlyers was my favourite stage this year, some great stuff there!

2. Arcadia/Shangi La, etc - this didnt quite work for me this year, it was too far away so we, like lots of others, ended up leaving the main stages to get there before the queues started which is'nt great as far as the headline acts are concerned. I am not sure what the answer is really, and even bigger area than this year? Put Acadia somwhere different because a lot of peeple go just for the Arcadia show and are less bothered with the Block9, Shangri La stuff? Swap the Acoustic area with Arcadia maybe?

3. Arcadia - the wonder wasn't there for me this year, they need to keep this fresh and put new things there, a big fire explosion is only impressive so many times, and I cant remember the lightning-rod people there this year, although I may have missed them. Appreciate that the weather didn't help this year but the atmosphere wasn't quite up to previous years imo. Always needs something new to keep the area alive

4. Park stage - this depends on whether they continue to get such high profile special quests as this year. It was a bit mental this year because the acts were so big, if this continues then they need to do something such as make the hill more of an official area to watch bands, or put these bands on soewhere bigger such as West Holts at 10am?!

5. Overcrowding - didn't really notice this until the Sunday when they (rightly) let the locals in. It was so overcrowded, I couldnt believe how rammed it was for Paul Simon - we tried to go from the top of the Pyramid stage across to JP, but just couldn't, the walkway was dangerously clogged up.

6. Chairs - similar to above, there just seemed loads more this year than previous, blocking up walkways, and a lot of the people with chairs refused to move at all. May need to ban them, or at least allow them in certain areas only. Only noticed this as being a real problem at the Pyramid. I dont have a problem with chairs themselves - JP seemed OK - they just need to be managed properly

7. Secret sets - make these secret again, don't tell people the time or location of these in advance. Everyone knew about Pulp and Radiohead this year so they weren't really secret sets. I would love to have seen Mumford in Strummerville, and really enjoyed Metronomy in the Crows Nest, that's a real surprise set, the way it should be!

What do you think needs to be looked at. Dont get me wrong I still love the festival, but it would be good if they looked at some bits again over the next couple of years!

Edited by dingbat2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replace the Rabbit Hole. I hate to say it, but I attempted to get in it twice only for it to be shut down for health and safety and the 2nd time massive queues. It's lost the je ne sais quoi that made it special. The site could do with one or two more genuine surprises.

Not much else, which says a lot for the festival. Just incredible. I went to V and could have rattled off a long list of it's faults.

Replace the Rabbit Hole. I hate to say it, but I attempted to get in it twice only for it to be shut down for health and safety and the 2nd time massive queues. It's lost the je ne sais quoi that made it special. The site could do with one or two more genuine surprises.

Not much else, which says a lot for the festival. Just incredible. I went to V and could have rattled off a long list of it's faults.

Edited by dingbat2

Unfortunately the main element that seems to stand out from your suggestions is the issue of overcrowding. Granted the Dance Village could probably be managed better and some of the traffic spread more into this site. Having said that, at night on the first two evenings this area was far too crowded aswell.

What to do? :huh:

More signage, more benches, more Kate Bush.

Find some way to sort out the bottlenecks (and no I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head, save Eavis rearranging his farm...)

Sort out the Dance Village - its too cramped and as said basically serves as a thoroughfare - expanding the village onto the camping area would be an idea (although they would then have to find space for the existing camp area elsewhere) and if they can get around the sound restrictions, have it be an actual dance village come night time - also, must point out to the OP that they already had less DJ sets this year, they stuck loads of fairly popular bands on in the afternoon for the first time.

--------

With regards to point 7 - not sure its really Glasto's fault that The Sun and NME saw fit to leak the special guests - although, if they're going to keep putting huge special guests on in the park (and the area is getting more and more popular each year anyway) then trying to fit a screen or two in and turning the sound up might be an idea.

Fair point! I was trying to provide areas where I think things could be looked at. Not so much slagging off areas, but positively identifying areas which could be looked at in the next 2 years which could further enhance the Glasto experience.. I

.. But I think you knew that already! ;)

Fair point! I was trying to provide areas where I think things could be looked at. Not so much slagging off areas, but positively identifying areas which could be looked at in the next 2 years which could further enhance the Glasto experience.. I

.. But I think you knew that already! ;)

mobile phones that you can shave with

donkeys

naked eavis pops out of bushes randomly, shouting and waving like a mental

deep fried brothers

popup poo tubes around stages

proper old fashioned deck chairs

gazebo hats

orthopaedic mud

Edited by hedgepeg

They're mainly little things, but I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with the festival as it is:

- 10p deposit scheme on cups. They could do it easily, Reading and Leeds have proved it's workable, and it would really help clean up the mess.

- It's meant to be a GREEN festival, so more incentives for people arriving by public transport. A bigger Gate A (to reduce queueing on the way in), some way to allow public transport people to arrive earlier or queue for the best camping spots too.

- Refill hand sanitiser and soap near the toilets more often, please. It's a small thing, but it's really annoying to not be able to wash your hands because there's no soap. (In fairness, I'd say this was better this year.)

- More indie / rock music in late night venues.

- Wherever possible, replace portaloos in the campsites with long drops. (I've no idea if this is workable at all.)

- An EVEN WIDER selection of real ale please.

Make sure the family camping areas are just that, for families. Ive been told that Cockmill Meadow was full of people without families which is the reason why some of us had to walk all the way to Wicket Ground to get camped. It should be policed by the camping crew better.

How about another couple of pedestrian entrances? Since the car parks have been open on the Tuesday night the queues to get in seem to be immense. I remember getting to the west car parks around 1 pm on the Wednesday and practically walking through gate A, this year it was a ridiculous three hour queue, the same at gate b last year.