Arcade Fire for 2013 Headliner?

Guest JackieMoon

I was at Hyde Park last night, seeing Arcade Fire who were incredible.

During the break in one song, Win Butler mentioned Glastonbury and how great it is. Also as they walked off, Butler said: "see you in 2 years", which seemed an oddly precise thing to say.

Now, I'm sure it was an off-the-cuff comment, but what with the next Glastonbury in 2 years AND Michael Eavis saying plans are in place for all 3 headliners already, could Arcade Fire feasibly do it?

I'm sure they would pull it off, and with names such as Elbow and QOTSA being touted as possible future headliners, I reckon Arcade Fire could be a decent shout to be there or thereabouts.

Thoughts?

Or am I ready for a 'first-post' slaying?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the break in one song, Win Butler mentioned Glastonbury and how great it is. Also as they walked off, Butler said: "see you in 2 years", which seemed an oddly precise thing to say.

Now, I'm sure it was an off-the-cuff comment, but what with the next Glastonbury in 2 years AND Michael Eavis saying plans are in place for all 3 headliners already, could Arcade Fire feasibly do it?

I'm sure they would pull it off, and with names such as Elbow and QOTSA being touted as possible future headliners, I reckon Arcade Fire could be a decent shout to be there or thereabouts.

Thoughts?

They could definitely pull it off, and they've already headlined major European festivals. I guess it all depends on if their 4th album is out in time, and it could well be. I really don't buy the idea of QOTSA or Elbow being headliners though.

Edited by glastofun

I was at that gig too, they were great. Amazing stuff.

They absolutely could headline glastonbury. The festival should have grown some balls and given them their chance in 2007. Sadly the festival seems to have given up it's policy of giving emerging bands a chance to headline before they become megastars.

Elbow and arcade fire should both have headlined by now, certainly in place of dull and predictable bookings like coldplay.

They could definitely pull it off, and they've already headlined major European festivals. I guess it all depends on if their 4th album is out in time, and it could well be. I really don't buy the idea of QOTSA or Elbow being headliners though.

Thoughts?

Agree with the QOTSA-fanbase issue, although I would like to see them given a chance.

Also, as an aside, and I'm sure Russycarps will have noticed, is how rammed it was for Mumford & Sons, and how it emptied pre-Arcade Fire. I've never known a band to endure such a huge amount of hype. They were very good live, but the hype seems disproportionate to what they have achieved. Maybe it's because 'folk' is still fashionable with the TopShop brigade. Surely if they play 2013 they will be fairly high up (Other Stage sub? or headliner? what with a new album being out by then)

I would love it but really not sure. Even though he mentioned Glastonbury, I thought that he said it was muddy which was why he didn't go. Although I may have got this wrong as the sound was absolutely diabolical where I was - worst I have ever experienced at a major gig. Shame as the band seemed up for it and the setlist was great.

Where we were stood (left of the stage by the overpriced food outlets) the sound was f**king dreadful, we decided to move before the encore towards the middle and it sounded perfectly fine there.

If it wasn't for them absolutely nailing it once again I would have been fuming with those who set up the sound there.

Agree with the QOTSA-fanbase issue, although I would like to see them given a chance.

Also, as an aside, and I'm sure Russycarps will have noticed, is how rammed it was for Mumford & Sons, and how it emptied pre-Arcade Fire. I've never known a band to endure such a huge amount of hype. They were very good live, but the hype seems disproportionate to what they have achieved. Maybe it's because 'folk' is still fashionable with the TopShop brigade. Surely if they play 2013 they will be fairly high up (Other Stage sub? or headliner? what with a new album being out by then)

2 of the people in our group (I went with non-glasto goers) were only there to see mumford & sons and didnt know a single song by arcade fire! I was staggered. I reckon quite a few people were there for mumford only.

I have to say I am not keen on mumford & sons at all. Fair play to them though, they have definitely found a niche for themselves. I think the only way is down for them from here though.

The sound is vary variable at those hyde park gigs. You really do need to pick your spot carefully.

I wanted to go to the Hyde Park gig so badly! Unfortunately, had tickets booked to travel back to Finland that day.

But if they were to headline 2013.. I would be the happiest girl in the world. I'd probably get up nice and early, and camp out in front the stage just to get a good spot!!

Where we were stood (left of the stage by the overpriced food outlets) the sound was f**king dreadful, we decided to move before the encore towards the middle and it sounded perfectly fine there.

If it wasn't for them absolutely nailing it once again I would have been fuming with those who set up the sound there.

I think they could but no matter what anyone says they haven't got enough songs that the general public will know. You'll find it extremely hard to find somebody who doesn't like Arcade Fire to name anything other than Wake Up - that's if they even know that. I know they've headlined festivals before (and very well, might I add) but I get the feeling Glastonbury needs big, jaw-dropping headliners, and for the majority of the public, Arcade Fire aren't that.

I think we'll find them subbing on the Pyramid next time around, but not headlining.

Edited by Sketchead

I think they could but no matter what anyone says they haven't got enough songs that the general public will know. You'll find it extremely hard to find somebody who doesn't like Arcade Fire to name anything other than Wake Up - that's if they even know that. I know they've headlined festivals before (and very well, might I add) but I get the feeling Glastonbury needs big, jaw-dropping headliners, and for the majority of the public, Arcade Fire aren't that.

I think we'll find them subbing on the Pyramid next time around, but not headlining.