Paul Simon

Guest CaledonianGonzo

I enjoyed bits of it, mostly because I was hanging around with other efesters and I managed to have a little boogie to the more upbeat numbers but I did find it lacked something.

I've seen him before and he cracked out a number of S&G songs. So I was surprised he didn't. Overall a disappointment. He had the potential to be excellent, but in the end was just good.

My mate went to see ron sexsmith and tbh I wish I'd joined him, except then I wouldn't have had the chance to have a little boogie and see my pals. So in the end I'm happy I went.

I was 3/4 of the way up the hill, lying on my back in the sunshine, barefoot (great to be welly-free!) listening to the sound of someone I grew up listening to.. Pretty perfect Sunday afternoon in my opinion!

Sure, he could have done some more classics, but that would have probably motivated me to get onto my feet and boogie, and My legs and back were already wrecked from stomping around Arcadia and Shangri-la for 8 hours the night before - so I was more than happy to appreciate him from a horizontal aspect!

Thought it was good but not great, when interviewed after he said he would have done some more ballads had his voice not been dodgy, think he thought he wouldn't do the classic S&G songs justice with a substandard voice, maybe we are being a bit hard on him,if he had sang them and sounded crap maybe we would have been more disappointed.

I was fairly disappointed too - yes there was the throat problem but I think it was an opportunity missed. It was a roasting afternoon and he could have lifted the entire field with just a slight change as someone has already said - chuck Me and Julio and Mother and Child reunion in. And he COULD have done one or two S&G songs - for goodness sake, he wrote so much and sang loads of them anyway!!

My mum loves his solo stuff and she saw his interview on the Beeb after his set - she thought he was a t*sser. Said he made a comment about having played bigger gigs and that he just didn't seem to understand what Glasto and an appearance on the Pyramid actually means (I'm taking her word for this). Given that SOOOOOO many performers are somewhat over-whelmed by it, perhaps a little more humility and a little deference to the crowd might have made all the difference....?

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly we were sat next to the family from hell, who ordered their son to refuse to let anyone past their little den, including several old people, and thought they were funny for doing so. The most obnoxious people I've ever met there, and they really spoilt our enjoyment of Paul Simon

I'm another one who was bored, even though I was excited before. Having been told that he'd done a few S+G songs, I was pretty disappointed that he didn't do any, particularly as I'm relatively unfamiliar with his solo stuff. Also he could have done Me + Julio, my favourite of his solo songs that I know.

I'm aware that I can't really complain, and you can't really ever complain with setlists just because you're ignorant and don't know the songs, but it just left me a little disappointed when I expected to know more than I did.

Certainly, when comparing with the same slot last year, I thought Ray Davies did it much better.

He's been a solo act since 1974. Gracelands, Paul Simon, and There Goes Rhymin' Simon are among the best albums ever made. He doesn't need Art Garfunkel. He needs to be healthy and on form.

(and arguably, 20 years younger - but we can't get that)

Hugely underwhelmed.

Was really looking forward to a good sob, you know that Glastonbury moment when it's all too beautiful and the crowd gets you in their happiness. The potential was there, even if he'd played something like 'Feeling Groovy' for a bit of a sing a long.

Hadn't realised that he was ill though, so maybe he can be forgiven. Left me in no doubt though that Garfunkle must be the talented one.

There is something slightly peverse about people going to see a solo artist and complaining that he didn't sing any of his songs from a previous life (and I include myself in that).

That said, I thought the setlist of his solo work was 6/10 at best. Some great great songs left out and possibly one or two too many from So Beautiful or So What.

Biggest disappointment of the weekend, mainly because my expectations had been sky high. Glad I didn't pay £84 for the Hammersmith gig (albeit that got cancelled eventually).

There is something slightly peverse about people going to see a solo artist and complaining that he didn't sing any of his songs from a previous life (and I include myself in that).

That said, I thought the setlist of his solo work was 6/10 at best. Some great great songs left out and possibly one or two too many from So Beautiful or So What.

Biggest disappointment of the weekend, mainly because my expectations had been sky high. Glad I didn't pay £84 for the Hammersmith gig (albeit that got cancelled eventually).

It looks like the Glasto scorecard reflects the general sense of disappointment. Paul Simon got an average score of 5.55 out of 10 from the 119 people who rated him.

That was the second highest number of votes (behind only U2). Really quite a poor score though.