Paul Simon

Guest CaledonianGonzo

So, what did we all think? Some of us muts have been there given the vast crowd he managed to attract.

On the whole I enjoyed it, but I'm not going to be any more effusive than that. OK, he was struggling from a throat infection which accounted for his somewhat subdued demeanour and he's not exactly Mr Showbiz at the best of times, but it all seemed a little - I dunno - over-relaxed and low-key.

On the setlist front, no complaints generally except for one and it's a whopper. Not a single S&G song. Presumably done - along with all the numerous instrumental solos - to save his voice, but it was still a bummer when you see that just the week before he'd been singing The Only Living Boy In New York and The Sound of Silence.

Luckily, I just happened to be standing with what appeared to be some of the world's biggest Paul Simon fans in the arena and their enthusiasm carried me through. My friends were all down at the periphery after tarrying longer at Bellowhead and they all unanimously hated it.

I'd give him 3 stars out of 5, and one of those stars might be for You Can Call Me Al.

So, what did we all think? Some of us muts have been there given the vast crowd he managed to attract.

On the whole I enjoyed it, but I'm not going to be any more effusive than that. OK, he was struggling from a throat infection which accounted for his somewhat subdued demeanour and he's not exactly Mr Showbiz at the best of times, but it all seemed a little - I dunno - over-relaxed and low-key.

On the setlist front, no complaints generally except for one and it's a whopper. Not a single S&G song. Presumably done - along with all the numerous instrumental solos - to save his voice, but it was still a bummer when you see that just the week before he'd been singing The Only Living Boy In New York and The Sound of Silence.

Luckily, I just happened to be standing with what appeared to be some of the world's biggest Paul Simon fans in the arena and their enthusiasm carried me through. My friends were all down at the periphery after tarrying longer at Bellowhead and they all unanimously hated it.

I'd give him 3 stars out of 5, and one of those stars might be for You Can Call Me Al.

Guest blackcockerel

Sadly we were sat next to the family from hell, who ordered their son to refuse to let anyone past their little den, including several old people, and thought they were funny for doing so. The most obnoxious people I've ever met there, and they really spoilt our enjoyment of Paul Simon

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't all it could be. I was fine with the absence of S&G songs, but there were a few solo songs I was holding out for. I guess he dropped some tracks in favour of instrumentals, to save his voice.

He cancelled his Bournemouth show with 30 minutes notice, so I suppose we're lucky to have got anything :(

We made our one trip to the Pyramid stage for PS. It was a mediocre performance - he just struck me as bored and going through the motions.

The crowd was awful - full of people who were camped in front of the stage all day, reading the paper and taking no interest in the music, people around them or anything else. I cannot imagine a worse environment in which to enjoy music. We lasted half an hour before going somewhere more enjoyable.

He's been a solo act since 1974. Gracelands, Paul Simon, and There Goes Rhymin' Simon are among the best albums ever made. He doesn't need Art Garfunkel. He needs to be healthy and on form.

(and arguably, 20 years younger - but we can't get that)

Edited by tinktink

I had also been to Bellowhead first, and they are a hard act to follow, plus getting to the Pyramid from west Holts meant I missed the start. But I had been looking forward to Paul Simon and was really disappointed. I know he was unwell but that doesn't excuse the dreary and anonymous-sounding song choices. I left after listening for half an hour - the only disappointing act of the weekend for me.

Edited by pinback

This - I enjoyed Boy in the Bubble, 50 ways to leave your lover, but it kinda tailed off thereafter.

Sad, an opportunity missed. I can only hope he is harbouring desires of playing with Art some day, and didn't want to wet his powder so to speak. He has been playing a few S&G songs during his own shows, hasn't he?

Well, that's answered that question for me.

And agreed regarding Don McLean, Tolywoly. Vincent was nice, Pie was great - and I particularly enjoyed singing Crying in the style of "Only Fools and Horses".

He's been a solo act since 1974. Gracelands, Paul Simon, and There Goes Rhymin' Simon are among the best albums ever made. He doesn't need Art Garfunkel. He needs to be healthy and on form.

(and arguably, 20 years younger - but we can't get that)

Biggest disappointment of my entire Glasto career. I am a HUGE S&G fan and I knew he would focus on solo stuff. I was happy for him to do that so long as he cracked out 1/2/3 tunes. I would have been happy with 1 of the following. Ecstatic with 2! Sounds of silence, kathys song, homeward bound, mrs robinson, america, the boxer.

Gutted. So disappointed ive sold my ticket to his solo show as well.

If he'd changed just 2 songs, and played 'Me and Julio', 'Mother and Child Reunion' it would have tipped the balance and turned the gig around. Too much twiddly shite from the members of his band.