PULP

Guest Vogue

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blackcockerel

I was so happy when Jarvis said "you didn't really think we wouldn't play did you?" it was great to see the band that inspired me to go to Glasto in the first place return for what was probably my last Glasto for years. Even had room to dance! A lot of the people complained in the run-up that Pulp weren't worthy of headlining, or that they weren't playing as they had sold out. I feel vindicated now. Now I can't wait for Wireless, a longer set and hopefully a better view!

My mate took this during the set which conveys the joy of the crowd quite well (me on the right looking quite pleased with myself). We managed to coordinate loads of our massive group to the same spot in the park which made it all the sweeter.

k0oufd.jpg

This was one of the highlights for me too, weather improving and Jarvis in fine form.

I had seen Big Audio Dynamite on Friday and struggled down from the park against the tide of of what I thought were Radiohead Fans (not a fan) on reaching the relative calm of the Other Stage I received a text from daughter saying that the special guests were Pulp, I was gutted, but I couldn't face making the climb back up to the Park, she later texted me to she was wrong and it was in fact Radiohead,I was so relieved.

Delighted that Pulp were there on the Saturday and the special guest wasn't all of Destiny's Child or Take That.

I have to agree with other posters that there were too many people talking through the set and, furthermore, we were stood by the tower, there was a band in the Rabbit Hole and possibly the Stonebridge Bar, both of which were competing and drowned out Pulp's quieter bits and Jarvis' banter between songs, so at times it was like the good old days of am radio, listening to John Peel or Radio Luxemburg going in and out of tune.

Seems i made a wrong decision :-(

Yomped up to the Park on my own on Friday to see Radiohead and it wasn;t worth the effort imo. So Saturday was decision of leaving the gang who were watching Elbow to yomp to the Park again on my own.... seeing them this weekend in Hyde Park so made the decision not o go.... ever so slightly (OK massively) gutted now, Elbow were awesome but there's just something about Jarvis ;-)

AMAZING! I think the highlight of my life, not just Glasto 2011!! I was 11 when His 'n Hers came out and have remained a life long fan. Being a little young in the 90s though, I never got to see them live. My lovely boyfriend bought tickets for Wireless this Sunday for my birthday but getting to see them at a smaller stage like the Park was just incredible. I've a friend who works in musical circles and he'd already let slip on the Wednesday that it was Radiohead and Pulp who were playing (Radiohead was also wicked) so we got there at about 3, stood at the front barriers and crossed our legs as we waited. Was awesome to see Graham Coxon (another hero) but Tame Impala (despite hearing good things) were awful. Maybe I'm a little unfair in that because I think the main trouble was that they were very nervous, and very VERY young but... nah, had no stage presence.

But Pulp... oh my goodness, it surpassed all my expectations. I love the fact that, now they're all a bit older (can you believe Jarvis is nearly 50?!) and not on so many drugs, they are all more relaxed and smiling and enjoying the experience. I think that's what made the gig, it just seemed like they were all so chuffed to be there. I also liked it when Jarvis admonished the people shouting 'Jarvis' by saying, 'No, no, the band is called Pulp. It's very important you remember that.' Being a musician (and not a singer) I appreciate that immensely- not many singers do that, but then again, we all knew Jarvis is a dude, didn't we?!

Fantastic stuff.

Towards the end of the set (before Sunrise, I think) Jarvis was talking about being transported to Shangri-La and something about the sunrise at Stone Circle. I didn't catch exactly what he said BUT later that night we wandered into Club Dada and there was Jarvis singing again with a drummer and DJ! Amazing.

So the Shangri-La part had become true, we then optimistically went to Stone Circle at sunrise, expecting to see him again. It had been a long night and didn't see him but didn't stay long.

Can anyone remember exactly what he said and did he turn up at Stone Circle at all?

Guest blackcockerel

But Pulp... oh my goodness, it surpassed all my expectations. I love the fact that, now they're all a bit older (can you believe Jarvis is nearly 50?!) and not on so many drugs,

Good times :D It was a 9.5 out of 10 for me, fantastic set, funny banter between songs, they were right on form and I loved it. It would have been a 10, but I couldn't see the stage at all, which was a bit crap. For the sake of us shorty people it would be nice to have screens up there, oh and louder/more speakers to drown out the ignorant twats who wouldn't STFU during the set <_<

But anyhoo, yeah, they were fookin awesome :D

Meself and the missus did agree that was our highlight of glasto this year. And it'll be right up there with some of my most remembered festival memories too. Jarvis's connection with the crowd was just what it's all supposed to be about and a lot of happy smiley faces walked back down the hill as the sun dropped behind silent disco tent, trees etc.. Thank you for some good photies and the greatest time Pulp!!

Guest blackcockerel

thanks for this vid. f**kin brilliant.

blackcockeral - you got fb?? i wanna add you please. pm me. ;)

Edited by blackcockerel

They really were brilliant - and Jarvis was hilarious in between songs! I would hapilly go see him do standup or something like that haha. The handing out of frisbees and Twix's (or 'ixes!) was genius.

Edited by Lubic87

Can't bring myself to read the whole of this thread. I was so excited about the possibility of Pulp playing and when a stage crew friend confirmed it on Friday morning I was all set. Went to see Radiohead too, but it was so crowded (we got there 45 mins before they were due on) that we couldn't see or hear anything from where we were. So for Pulp on Saturday we went along to the the Park an hour before they were due on but the entrance was already closed and security wouldn't let us in. Later we could see thousands of people on the hill (see below) enjoying the show and could even make out some of the songs from where we stood in the campsite but to say I was gutted was an understatement. The only hope I'm clinging to is that they might come back and headline in 2013 but I'm not holding my breath. :(

To top it off I've had offers of tickets to see them in Hyde Park tonight but my on call rota means I can't go. :angry:

P1070534.JPG

I'm hoping to go but am not massively optimistic about getting tickets in pre sale or otherwise! Wanted to see pulp for ages but Didn't go up to park as elbow/pulp was worst clash for me so made a judgement call based on how crowded I guessed it'd be. The wrong decision I think! Ah well hopefully a trip to brixton will make up for it!!

Amazing! So glad I went early enough to get a spot where i could see too, albeit about ½ mile back...

I do think they need to stop putting on such well-known special guests though: the infrastructure in The Park can't really cope with a fifth of the festival attendees descending on it.