Can an EOTR regular please explain the stages and tents.

Guest baroquepop

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 4 main music stages:

The Garden Stage (large, uncovered)

The Big Top (Tent)

The Tipi Stage (Tent)

The Local (Tent)

The big top is much the largest of the three tented stages. There are then a handful of nooks and crannies where bands sometimes pop up - notably a piano tucked away in the woods.

For non-music stuff there is a comedy stage - think this is being revamped this year? A film tent, small tents hosting workshops (last year these were the circus, making and doing tents) and a library in the woods.

Have I missed anything?

Might add that the Garden stage closes earliest, with the tents having one more act after the Garden closes. Then there are DJs (last year in the Local tent and in a hidden stage in the woods), and the Tipi hosts some surprise gigs: bands will play a second set on the Tipi, maybe playing covers, or forming a one-off supergroup, or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know where else to put this, so according to Simon on another festival-based site "we have a brand new main stage called the Woods Stage, a nod to the leafy outskirts of our amazing site at Larmer Tree Gardens"

(Also Joanna Newsom "got back to us within a couple of days and said yes. She'd already heard about the festival from others who'd played")

That suggests to me, and I'm putting two and two together and getting five here, that the comedy stage will replace the designated Local stage and the few Local artists will be scattered throughout the rest of the bill. I guess the Woods Stage will sort of replace the Piano stage and won't be solely used for "impromptu" bonus sets.

Or maybe not.

Edited by shoebox

That suggests to me, and I'm putting two and two together and getting five here, that the comedy stage will replace the designated Local stage and the few Local artists will be scattered throughout the rest of the bill. I guess the Woods Stage will sort of replace the Piano stage and won't be solely used for "impromptu" bonus sets.

Or maybe not.

At the risk of Luddite-like tendencies, I wish festival organisers would evolve rather than revolt when increasing their size. Truck this year has added a third day and 3,000 to capacity and in doing so they've completely revamped the whole thing, moving the main stage to a different field, dumping the famous Shed and the sort of bands who'd play it, and somehow despite such expansion featuring one fewer music stage (and one of the four left is now for local bands only, it seems)

Yes, it's a shame that they are messing with the formula and increasing the capacity from 5000 to 8500. With all the extra people the wooded area is going to become almost impossible to enjoy/watch impromptu secret sets in. This is very reminiscent of how Green Man evolved, which is way too big now imo. I guess they need to be able to afford all the amazing acts this year some how though! Two outdoor stages could be interesting - let's hope there are no sound clash issues. There's so many great bands playing this year I'm fearful of the stage times being announced - I can see some very tricky decisions having to be made. So long as I can still take my own booze in to where you watch the bands I won't be too upset.

Hang on a cotton-pickin' minute!

There ARE no day tickets for EoTR. I'm reliably informed that there were in the first year or two but I'm SURE there are no more. Certainly there are NONE for sale now, and if there are weekend tickets still available then there'd surely be day tickets too, so that doesn't work. The interview says, and I quote, "(8500 adults this year)". Does that mean there'll be MORE than 8500 attendees with children added to that total? I have mixed feelings about an increase in capacity. EoTR's small size is one of its strengths, and yet there were times in 2009 when I had wished the site was a little bit 'busier', just to enhance that feeling of excitement. So long as the facilities have been stretched out a bit I think the site will not feel too cramped with that sort of number. We'll see...

As for the stages if, as it says in the interview, the Woods Stage is the brand new main stage, does that mean that it is bigger that the Garden Stage and we now have two genuinely outdoor stages? That'd be great for me as, fine though tents can be, that would mean more bands playing outdoor sets, which I love, especially late at night.

Oh, now I'm REALLY frustrated to know what the hell all this means! On the basis that the Garden Stage is located in the GARDEN, where the HELL is the Woods Stage?!

ARGH! I NEED INFORMATION!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

One of the bad things about 8500 would be that it would take longer to get from your tent to anywhere - sure, there's space for that many people, but only if some of us are further away.

I'm hoping that they mean 8500, including bands and festival staff. Not sure how realistic that is. I'm going to tweet them, see what they say.