Sundrive Hire (Camper Van / Motorhome Hire) Anyone Used Them?

Guest Morse Code

I've just read through all of this thread and I'm genuinely shocked and sorry for those of you who've been caught up in the actions of such a dreadful company. I really hope you all manage to make alternative arrangements with more reputable companies. And please remember the chargeback guarantee applies to Visa DEBIT as well as CREDIT cards so the very best of luck in getting your money back as soon as possible.

My husband and I subscribe to Which? magazine so we have access to the legal advice on their website, so let me know if we can help in any way. I shall look out for Sundrive on Watchdog...

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am really sorry to anyone let down at the last minute by Sundrive. I hope you're all able to find alternatives in double quick time! :)

Trading Standards were contacted quite early on so I would suggest anyone waiting for refunds should contact them immediately as any credit card refund that was processed on 30th May should be in your accounts by now.

This whole episode still seems truly bizarre!

Hi All,

A big word of warning NEVER NEVER hire from Sundrive Hire. We had a motorhome booked through this company and they double-dipped into our credit card (charging us twice for the van), forwarded our credit card details onto a third party, cancelled our van hire and have been absolutely awful to deal with. They never return phone calls or emails and we were stranded with no van and we are still have had no refund from this company. Avoid them at all costs and spread the word!!!!

Edited by Natalie Watkins

Hi All,

A big word of warning NEVER NEVER hire from Sundrive Hire. We had a motorhome booked through this company and they double-dipped into our credit card (charging us twice for the van), forwarded our credit card details onto a third party, cancelled our van hire and have been absolutely awful to deal with. They never return phone calls or emails and we were stranded with no van and we are still have had no refund from this company. Avoid them at all costs and spread the word!!!!

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for a while and have kept meaning to contribute. My parents attempted to hire a motorhome from Sundrivehire back in May for a two week touring holiday in Scotland. Unfortunately it's a very long story including a 'lost' booking the day before it was due to be delivered and the sourcing of an alternative vehicle which WAS delivered (yes, we have photographic evidence) but a man handed over the keys and immediately ran off to a car waiting around the corner. My parents were left in shock with an old, dirty and broken motorhome (speedometer didn't even work). They were gutted and requested the vehicle be picked up and a refund issued. Sundrivehire didn't pick the thing up for six days! A refund was issued - HOWEVER a second amount was taken the same day! My parents have informed them of this error(?!) but having realised they can't be trusted they have cancelled the credit card and raised a dispute via the credit card company in the hope of getting their money back. This whole situation involved countless calls to their 0843 number - they NEVER reply to emails or fulfil call back promises. It's infuriating and I really would like to see this 'company' named and shamed.

Edited by SotonGrad10

^ Further to that, she's avalible on Twitter: @emilyford1

Going down the media route could be the best (and cheapest) way to get money out of this person.

It's been a slow afternoon and I've just read this whole thread. It's been both entertaining and heartbreaking - best wishes to everyone left without transport - just know you're going to the most generous festival out there and hopefully any issues you have because of it, the lovely Glasto-goers will help you out with.

I would have thought she'll be posting here before long!

Looks like she works for the Times (albeit freelance) which if I remember rightly is where there was a feature recommending Sundrive as per a previous post. I guess if that's true they at least owe a follow up piece!

I just spoke to Emily Ford to offer her any assistance I can - I hate to see people being ripped off or messed about. She tells me that she's been following this thread. It seems that the people who are suggesting she's writing for The Times are correct.

I encourage anyone who has had dealings with Sundrive to contact Emily to tell her their story. The more facts she has at her disposal the better.

Edited by eFestivals

I've also been let down by Sundrivehire. Received their letter last Saturday saying they would no longer provide a motorhome for Glastonbury due to alleged threats of damage to their vehicles. Attached to their letter is a credit card refund dated 30th May but as yet this is not showing on my credit card. Can't find another motorhome to rent so now booked into a hotel 13miles away. Researching the internet on this outfit casts much doubt on the legitimacy of their business and whether or not they have any of their own vehicles to rent. Have written & emailed them expressing my anger and setting out the process for the claim I will make against them, through the small claims court if necessary. Also alerted BBC Watchdog & Trading Standards. I would urge others to do the same in order to ascertain if these guys just provide incredibly bad customer service or are rogue traders.

This thread is both saddening and maddening. I think it is clear that people believed them to be potential scammers and that the lies, fakery and attempts at bully boy scare tactics only reinforced that opinion. I hope that everyone gets their money back and that, should this all prove to be as it appears to be, people are brought to book for it.

Well yesterday was 14 days since we received our refund receipt from SCUMDRIVEHIRE.COM, we checked the bank and surprise surprise no money. I phoned them yesterday morning kept my calm explained that the money wasn't in the account and that I wasn't happy, I even said to the woman "IF ITS CON WELL DONE YOU GOT US ALL BUT WE REALLY NEED TO NO SO WE CAN MOVE ON AND GET OURSELVES SORTED" she said someone would phone later that day. When the phone call finally came my friend explained that the money was not in the account to this the man on the phone said "IF THE MONEY IS NOT IN YOUR ACCOUNT ITS NOT SCUMDRIVES FAULT", HE SUGGESTED MY FRIEND SPOKE TO BANK AND ASK THEM WHAT WAS GOING ON "PRICELESS". When my friend finally lost his calm and told him that it was totally there fault that we were in this shit because of them and all we want is our money back, the man hung up on him. So there you go as I stated before "SMUG SOUTHERN COCKNEY TWATS" thank god for VISA at least we will get our money back. On a happier note we have got a motor home from a reputable company I really hope everybody involved in this scam gets sorted out and receives a full refund. Lets put this behind us goto Glastonbury 2011 and have the party of party's, "I HOPE EVERYBODY AT SCUMDRIVEHIRE GETS A TERMINAL ILLNESS SOON, YOU DESERVE IT SCUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........................

Well yet another newbie, and just to add to what is turning out to be a very long line of people seemingly being ripped off, i also booked and paid for a motorhome from Sundrive, i have recieved the now fabled cancellation letter accompanied with my refund reciept dated 30/05/11. I have just got off the phone with Dave Harris ( who promised to call me back last wednesday by the way ),who has told me that i now have to put it in writing and send it to there imaginary office to get my £656 back. When i asked him why he didn't call back i was told and i quote " i am not prepared to answer that " to which he hung up. I now get told everytime i call that no one is available to talk and yet if i ring to make a booking then there are plenty of takers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm glad the press are taking an interest in this and feel so bad for the people now left having to make alternative arrangements.

anyone who made a booking - CANCEL THOSE CARDS NOW. after all, should they turn out to be dodgy, they know that those who booked for glasto won't be at home/online/necessarily contactable by phone from their bank next week.

Sorry to be yet another newby to post here, but I've been following this thread keenly since I got my cancellation letter from Sundrivehire on Saturday so thought I should post my bit of news.

My refund has actually come through! I was trying to be optimistic about it, but deep inside I was fairly sure it wasn't going to happen but it did.

We've been to Glastonbury a few times and always camped but this year we're going with 3 babies under 8 months so thought we'd get a motorhome, like a lot of people here got one from Sundrivehire, gave my card details, on the 1st of this month had £665 taken from my account and then last Sat got the dreaded letter. My husband contacted them and they were actually very nice (but he was also very nice to them as we didn't want to fall out with anyone who has our money and card details!) and they said they had refunded the money. By Monday it was still not in our account so he rung again and spoke to the same bloke and he said that he'd made a mistake, it hadn't been processed but he was going to do it straight away and send us the receipt in the post.

The receipt arrived the next day but as I had read here that some people had received a receipt but no refund I was still dubious, but when I checked my account this morning the money was there!!!! I couldn't believe it! I was soooo relieved. We got another motorhome from a private person on eBay, same size but not as new as the one we thought we were getting. But it's only round the corner from us, so we've been to see it, had a cup of tea with the owner and all so we know this one is for real!

So there you go, a happy ending. Some may not believe me for being a newby but I thought I should share anyway.

Hi all,

My wife just posted above but she has only just signed up so thought I'd give my two pennies worth.

I have been dealing with them since got cancellation letter Saturday and, although not very trusting of what they have said, have not had too many issues with them. I have not been dealing with Dave but another guy (can provide his name if you PM me) who has been really helpful, apologetic and understanding.

Got refund today so if I can help please let me know.

I wish you all the best, this is not the type of Glasto prep we all need/deserve, good luck.

J

Hi people We unfortunately another newbie who had van booked with Sundrive.

We were booked from next sunday morning for our honeymoon. Got the

cancellation letter last thursday and spoke to people at Sundrive friday morning

after being fobbed off many times by remote message centre staff and getting

increasingly frustrated by the reception staff.

After finally speaking to someone I Was promised a same day bank transfer

into my bank account ( I paid on credit card)

gave them account number and sort code and was relieved to see refund hit account

on tuesday morning.

Hope this helps

john