Glastonbury random searches

Guest alframsey

As has been said previously pretty much anything & everything (although I do not know the legailty of any personal searches without Police presence), which in turn would I presume require some reasonable suspicion). Last year we watched on as someone had his shoes searched (which as it turned out contained a large bag of weed in). And to be honest I don't think they're that random. Touch-wood, I've not been searched on entry for about 15 years, but then they wouldn't find anything if they did anyway... We did get some greif a year of so ago when we were bringing drinks that we had put into a Budweiser cardboard box, the box had pictures of glass bottles ion it so we were asked about that and had to open it up to prove it wasn't glass. One of our troop had her bags briefly searched and they took a mirror from here, the irony was it was a mirror she had bought at Glastonbury the previous year. Be prepared to be searched and don't take anything you're not prepared to lose.

There's no set routine for the searches. They'll be as frequent and as rigerous as they like. Just be careful innit. Wrap your parcel up in an enigma wrapped in an enigma.

My friend and I got our bags searched at the entrance in 2009. Our partners who had travelled down earlier met us in the car park and took our rucksacks through the re-entry gate, so we might have aroused suspicions by only carrying day sacks.

The lady searching my friend's bag found lighters and rizlas so went through everything with a fine toothcomb - even opening up a brand-new pack of tobacco trying to find what she was looking for. She looked really disappointed to only find tobacco...the contraband had already gone through the gate! She didn't do a body search either, so that might require more authority (like police presence).

Like other posters have said, just stay calm and if you are taking anything forbidden in, make sure it's well wrapped and hidden in an unobvious place. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about who they search - although we have seen a completely smoke-filled car being pulled apart, can't imagine why!

Be prepared to get chucked and even transported off site if you refuse to be searched. There's no stereotypes they pick on, I've seen young, old, disabled get the full on treatment, even festival workers with AAA passes. And with reports of non-ticket holders being smuggled in within large bags over the last couple of years they are bound to be on the ball even more than usual. Do not mess with these guys, they are about as full on as you'll experience this side of Guantanamo Bay!

However, don't panic, treat and talk to them like humans and you'll be on your way in no time. And with regards to dodgy substances you'll more than likely have them confiscated and sent onwards and drugless into the fest than get thrown off site ticketless. Just don't try your luck too much. ;)

Have a good festival :)

Famous last words but we've never been searched. I hope this isn't tempting fate but we simply smile and say 'No glass' in a respectful way as if we appreciate their concern and so far all has been OK.

I've never been searched so far, I expect that the odds say that one day I will be, I guess it is my own responsibility to ensure that if that happens there is nothing they can find.

I'll add weight to the statement that there is little targetting and they will search a broad cross section without prejudice, this is how it should be done to act as a proper deterrent as it means that people are more likely to take only as much as they need and hide it really well.

At home in a typical week I smoke a q to a half, so it is only expected that at G I might want to take 2 or 3 times that amount so I can let myself go a little, share around the campfire and so on...you aren't going to fit that in a shoe, not if you have a foot in there as well! I have to be careful hiding it in such a way as it wouldn't be found in a search and always accept that one day it might be taken off me. I would never go there intending to buy onsite as I like to be sure of quality and value.

I was searched in 2008 & 09 by a steward on the gate, its just a random search. they just had a little look into my bag and had a rummage, looked in my wash bag, asked if i had any glass bottles/objects on me. Then let me go through the gate with a bag of weed in my top pocket.

I once got searched by two security guards dressed in black tie on the way in. One of them recited Dadaist poetry whilst the other whispered into each of my pockets 'If there are drugs in here, reveal yourselves!'. It was pretty random I must say.

Thank you very much. I'm here all week. Do try the special.

I know some people who want to bring some "research chemicals" with them, not illegal, but I would imagine they would be confiscated if found none the less.

Does anyone know what the situation is with legal highs (branded from shops or unbranded from rc websites)?

I know some festivals, Guilfest & Reading aren't happy with people bringing them in but it still seems to be grey area.