Glastonbury random searches

Guest alframsey

I had my small rucksack searched on re-entry a few years ago, I got abit lairy ( no swearing - just the usual come on dude I haven't got anything ) coz I was boiling hot and he had me emptying everything. However after a few minutes he reveiled a passport from a side pocket in my bag I completely forgot was there and said passport had been missing for 3 years !

I was very joyous from then on ! The security guard was VERY disappointed he did not find anything ! Wouldn't even shake my hand lol !

If you are carrying some personal medication ;) remember its not just searches at the gates. London Plod sets up a two day operation at Paddington Station complete with sniffer dogs, most services along the M5 have Plod presence with vehicle search areas, Bristol Temple meads and Castle cary stations are also known for undercover plod looking for easy pickings . so be safe don't do drugs :D .

Last year I went out to the van to get some beers, when I came back I was having a joint and stood near the entrance to finish it then go in, the security asked me why I was waiting and just ushered me through!

I have seen people get searched though but I have never been myself. I usually keep gear in my wallet or strapped to my leg with medical tape near my crotch area and pray I dont get a body search lol

We got searched last year. After 4 hours queuing at the gate we finally got in and headed towards the security check lugging our trolley with all our worldly goods. Now we are a perfectly respectable looking couple approaching our middle years and have absolutely nothing to hide (even my make-up mirror was stainless steel) but my OH is a scouser. On approaching the security check I said to my hubbie " dont say anything or they will hear you accent and pull us in" He said not a word but still we got pulled.

Mostly they were looking for glass and other breakables. I swear they sighed with despair when after a thorough search of my rucksack (including all my undies and various other items) my hubbie offered his up for a search too - they declined fed up with us by then.

I am pretty sure we were a good decoy for everyone following us who got through without a care.

So here's a tip - follow a middle aged couple with scouse accents laden down with a full trolley and a couple of rucksacks.

• 2 weeks later...

last year i had about 2 happy smokes left in my little tin, i didnt get in as had no ticket anyway but security did a couple of searches on me they found my 2 happy smokes and asked if i want to hand them in, i declined and they let me keep it. just make sure its well hidden if the same as what i had

My friend gets a bottle of that 'Kick' stuff, think it's the Tesco version of Red Bull. He does so because the bottle is silver ie you cant see into it. He wraps his stuff up in condoms and plops it in. On his way through the gate he has a wee drink to himself, works every time! :)

Edited by BenchBuddah

Most of the searches are quite quick and they dont do full body searches (pockets, shoes) etc unless they get suspicious. I was working on a gate as a steward last year and this guy and his girlfriend walked in smoking a spliff so security searched everywhere and found pills, ketamine, coke and god knows what else on them...they were evicted and had wristbands torn off before they even got in front door. :(

Hide stuff in pants...or well hidden inside tent!

talcum powder bottles, crisp packets, anything that's opaque..... fact is though whatever you can think of you can bet that those searching have thought of it first and know all the tricks.... it's luck of the draw in the end. depends who you get searching too- you can either end up with someone who gives your stuff a cursory glance or someone like we had in 09..... after the day from hell (left wsm 25 miles from festival site at 9am that morning, got to festival site at 9pm....planes, trains, automobiles and shanks pony....horrific) ended up in front of what I can only describe as a bird who's former job was in the Gestapo, and had the accent to go with it too:

Gestapo bird: "haf you got anythink you shouldn't haf in Theez bags?"

us: "no"

gb:(digging out every bit of clothing and rifling through make-up bag- finds a one inch by one inch mirror attached to an eyeshadow compact) "glass!! you haf glass!! you lied to me!! what else are you having that you shouldn't?"

us: "nothing"

gb: "you haf lied to me already...why should I be belief in you now??"

me:(two seconds away from losing all human reason)"I have no words, carry on looking then..."

she then proceeds to literally tear everything we have packed apart, finds nothing, pushes it all to one side and screams "you!! come here!!" at the next unfortunate sod.

but then, every other year, have wLjed straight through the gates without so much as a glance!!

• 1 month later...

I know some people who want to bring some "research chemicals" with them, not illegal, but I would imagine they would be confiscated if found none the less.

Does anyone know what the situation is with legal highs (branded from shops or unbranded from rc websites)?

I know some festivals, Guilfest & Reading aren't happy with people bringing them in but it still seems to be grey area.