Mike Oldfield playing the 1971 Stage ....

Guest Ommadawn

Looking at your user name I am not surprised you will be looking forward to Mike Oldfield!!

Ommadawn is it my top 5 albums of all time!

Mike Oldfield, I was not expecting that at all. Great addition. I have never see him live, does he still play stuff like Ommadawn and Tubular Bells?

That would be great to see Mike Oldfield again. It will also be good to see Steve Hillage again. Saw him in 2009 was not on long enough. Also Nick Turner/ Hawkwind on as well. Cant wait hope they do not clash with someone else I want to see. :):)

Edited by anoldhippie@60

I had to consult my Dad, here are his valued opinions:

I know "Out Demons Out" but then again most old hippies do. That's a good song that you can sing along to but don't know anything else by them.

You know Mike Oldfield.

Steve Hillage is a good old hippy. I've a couple of albums by him - really good

Arthur Brown is a complete looney. Well worth a watch

Nick Lowe is best known for "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass". He's pretty good as well

Noel Harrison is cack from what I can remember

So thanks Dad

Sorry to spoil the party Ommadawn

"According to co-organiser Andrew Kerr interviewed in the Somerset Guardian, Mike Oldfield is part of this years line up on the "Spirit of 1971" stage on Saturday 25th June at this years Glastonbury Festival.

Update April 1st: The word from Mike, via Universal, is that he won't be appearing."

Source: http://tubular.net/

Sorry to spoil the party Ommadawn

"According to co-organiser Andrew Kerr interviewed in the Somerset Guardian, Mike Oldfield is part of this years line up on the "Spirit of 1971" stage on Saturday 25th June at this years Glastonbury Festival.

Update April 1st: The word from Mike, via Universal, is that he won't be appearing."

Source: http://tubular.net/

damn :(

I personally think he will be playing - cos I dreamed that he was appearing during one of those Glasto dreams some months ago and its stuck in my head ever since! Can't believe I'm now reading this thread about that having been said as a possibility by one publication!

Mike's got a well established track record of saying he'll appear at live events that he never does though. But somehow I can see this happeneing - don't know why.

Very difficult to get him to come back to the UK at all now though since he left to live on a boat in the Bahamas or something, citing how 'over regulated' life has become over here.

However, he has been recently working on re-producing much of his earliest back catalog, including Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn (and possibly now Incantations), so he's very much currently thinking about the period the stage is intended to represent muscially.

Those early albums are very difficult to reproduce on his own though - so scaled down acoustic versions would be the aim of the game I'd imagine. Heaven help us if he decided to do any of his later singles . . Steve Hillage is very experienced at performing Mike's work (having performed at some of the live Orchestral arragements of these albums back in the mid-70's). Would be amazing if the both of them performed together!