why all the bitchyness

Guest onemangang

i think this years line up is good, yes the headliners are slighty weak but its not just about the headliners. for me at least it all about the weekend ticket, because the acts i want to see are not all on 1 day. this year will be more about individual bands and less about 1 day in particular because there isn't one day that stands out in my mind.

i understand the love people have for r+l as a festival and when you dont see what you want or like it might up set you. but there's so many other festivals out there that cater to every musical need.

so either go to r+l have a good time, hopefully enjoy the weather, get pissed, maybe meet some ladys/men or both :D .

on the other hand excpect that r+l isn't what you want this year and go some were else.

its come as no surprise to me what this years line up is, so i dont no why other people are so shocked.

i dont think i would have cared if the undercard had been decent, as it stands i will be looking at 5 bands the whole weekend, and ive had my ticket since the pre-sale and am resigned to the fact that it wont sell on ebay so i may as well go and look at smaller bands and just camp the lock up!

This time yesterday I was fully expecting to be buying a weekend ticket today. The thought of not going hadn't even crossed my mind. I was expecting a weekend full of bands that I love, as has been the case ever since I started going in 2008 (and looking back at previous line-ups, before then as well). So to discover that there would only be a dozen or so bands that I like playing, most of which are confined to a single day, was very shocking and disappointing.

People always just say 'if you don't like it, don't go' - but it's not as simple as that. Reading is something I look forward to (probably even too much, to the point of obsession) all year long. Ever since I started going it's been the highlight of my year, something to look forward to, an escape from normality and an exciting adventure, unique every time. To suddenly have the booking go in a different direction leaves me out in the cold, and simply not going doesn't solve the problem. Not going IS the problem - I want to go, but there's nothing there for me.

Except Friday of course, I'm day ticketing the hell out of that. Going to be awesome - but not the same, sadly. Not even close.

This time yesterday I was fully expecting to be buying a weekend ticket today. The thought of not going hadn't even crossed my mind. I was expecting a weekend full of bands that I love, as has been the case ever since I started going in 2008 (and looking back at previous line-ups, before then as well). So to discover that there would only be a dozen or so bands that I like playing, most of which are confined to a single day, was very shocking and disappointing.

People always just say 'if you don't like it, don't go' - but it's not as simple as that. Reading is something I look forward to (probably even too much, to the point of obsession) all year long. Ever since I started going it's been the highlight of my year, something to look forward to, an escape from normality and an exciting adventure, unique every time. To suddenly have the booking go in a different direction leaves me out in the cold, and simply not going doesn't solve the problem. Not going IS the problem - I want to go, but there's nothing there for me.

Except Friday of course, I'm day ticketing the hell out of that. Going to be awesome - but not the same, sadly. Not even close.

Before today everyone was only expecting MCR, Strokes, Muse, which, despite MCR being a bit weak, is pretty good

The weakness comes in the rest of the lineup with a mix of just generally poor, to a load of bands who have played at R/L over 3 times in the past 5 years - Frank Turners now played 5 years in a row. At least having MCR, which was clearly the backup for Greenday, you would expect them to book a decent subheadliner, but 30stm are not that. They played on the second stage at Download last year, a festival where they would naturally be more appreciated - I'd say they were a 4/5th place band at Leeds, not 2nd. I won't even bother going into detail on NME stage, but to see that 3 years ago Manics, Babyshambles, Cribs, all played, with Wombats, Vampire Weekend, MGMT, Foals, who were all big at the time, not to mention BMFV, Pendulum and Justice says it all.

Someone posted in another thread something which was very true. The line-up reads as if they had big names but they pulled out and everyone was moved up.

I had no qualms with the headliners (other than Muse being everywhere, but they hadn't played R+L for a while), but now, the rest of the undercard is what makes the line-up bad.

The lineup hasnt even been completed yet and people are moaning like its the end of the world :lol: Im sorry but if you cant find someone to watch over all the stages once the full lineup has been announced then your not as big a fan of music as you think you are.

I know people have personal tastes but theres also nothing wrong with going and checking out someone youve never heard of if theres no-one you want to watch. An OP earlier said they could see 5 bands all weekend they wanted to see.....your having a laugh arent you. Including bands that clash theres already 30 bands/acts that I would watch, I wouldnt go see all of them at thier own shows but at a festival id give them a go.

Some of you need to stop being so f**king serious ;)

The lineup hasnt even been completed yet and people are moaning like its the end of the world :lol: Im sorry but if you cant find someone to watch over all the stages once the full lineup has been announced then your not as big a fan of music as you think you are.

I know people have personal tastes but theres also nothing wrong with going and checking out someone youve never heard of if theres no-one you want to watch. An OP earlier said they could see 5 bands all weekend they wanted to see.....your having a laugh arent you. Including bands that clash theres already 30 bands/acts that I would watch, I wouldnt go see all of them at thier own shows but at a festival id give them a go.

Some of you need to stop being so f**king serious ;)

Last few years I've bought my tickets in the September presale but not again. If it wasn't for my ticket always turning up the day I leave for the festival I'd most likely be selling it. I'll still have a good time regardless but the point of going is the music. You don't need to question the line up cos the fact tickets are still freely available this morning is a good indication of what people think of it. Fingers crossed for further announcements and lock up. For £200 a ticket I think the lineup is pretty shocking to be honest :(

i think this years line up is good, yes the headliners are slighty weak but its not just about the headliners. for me at least it all about the weekend ticket, because the acts i want to see are not all on 1 day. this year will be more about individual bands and less about 1 day in particular because there isn't one day that stands out in my mind.

i understand the love people have for r+l as a festival and when you dont see what you want or like it might up set you. but there's so many other festivals out there that cater to every musical need.

so either go to r+l have a good time, hopefully enjoy the weather, get pissed, maybe meet some ladys/men or both :D .

on the other hand excpect that r+l isn't what you want this year and go some were else.

its come as no surprise to me what this years line up is, so i dont no why other people are so shocked.

Edited by jump

We were in much more hope than expectation for anything to surprise us rather than Muse, MCR and Strokes. The problem is the undercard, as said many many countless times. For all the bands that were out there that Melvin could have got he didn't. This is what I'm most pissed off about. I mean Reading has always had a good line-up the past few years, and if even if you were a but meh on it there would other smaller bands you could have seen. Not this time. I mean, BEADY EYE, SERIOUSLY?