Taking stock

Guest geofelgie

Well I thought I'd tot up my investigations so far.....

Acts I really want to see:

Midlake

Laura Marling

Gruff Rhys

John Grant

Joan as Policewoman

Willy Mason

Josh T Pearson

Dan Mangan

Emmy the Great

Lia Ices

Cass McCombs

Treefight for sunlight

Sarabeth Tucek

Wild Nothing

Acts I'd quite like to see:

Joanna Newsom

Mogwai

The Walkmen

Micah P Hinson

The Leisure Society

Dry the River

Perfume Genius

Timber Timbre

Twin Shadow

Kurt Vile & the violators

Woods

I've decided this is "quite a lot" and there are still some I haven't investigated yet............ok, not many!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acts I absolutely cannot miss:

Woods

Megafaun

Acts I really want to see

Wild Beasts

Tinariwen

Mogwai

Midlake

The Walkmen

Josh T Pearson

White Denim

Willy Mason

Micah P Hinson

Caitlin Rose

The Fresh & Onlys

Timber Timbre

Wild Nothing

Acts I'd quite like to see

Beirut

Joanna Newsom

John Grant

Wooden Shjips

The Leisure Society

Sam Amidon

Bo Ningen

Cambodian Space Project

Doug Paisley

Treefight For Sunlight

With quite a few of the other bands on the line-up I've only listened to one track or two and some I haven't really even listened to yet so there could be more to add to the list. Drum Eyes for example I'm not too sure about but they're meant to be incredibly live so I'll probably go see them.

Must Sees

Best Coast

Dan Mangan

Gruff Rhys

Joanna Newsom

Midlake

The Deadly Syndrome

The Leisure Society

The Walkmen

Wild Beasts

Wild Nothing

Probably Sees

Bo Ningen

Bob Log III

Caitlin Rose

Cambodian Space Project

Health

James Yorkston

Joan As Police Woman

John Grant

La Sera

Perfume Genius

The Fall

The Fresh & Onlys

Tune-Yards

Twin Shadow

Willy Mason

Woods

So that leaves me very little time to eat, as I haven't written anyone else off (OK, maybe Beirut and Mogwai) and there's still more to come. Such a great line-up.

Acts I really want to see:

Joanna Newsom

Mogwai

Tinariwen

Wooden Shjips

Jolie Holland

Sam Amidon

Drum Eyes

TUnE-YArDs

Twin Shadow

Acts I'd quite like to see:

Beirut

The Walkmen

Gruff Rhys

John Grant

Josh T Pearson

Micah P Hinson

James Yorkston

Bo Ningen

Young Man

Daniel Martin Moore

Bands I cannot miss

John Grant

Micah P Hinson

The Leisure Society

Megafaun

Perfume Genius

Woods

Bands I’d like to see

Beirut

Midlake

Best Coast

Joan as Policewoman

Josh T Pearson

Sam Amidon

Cambodian Space Project

Dan Mangan

The Fresh & Onlys

Lanterns on the Lake

Lightning Dust

She Keeps Bees

Wild Nothing

That's not to say that there aren't more people I want to see, but I've seen a lot of the smaller bands on the line up over the last year or so. In fact I've seen The Leisure Society, Megafaun, Micah P Hinson and Woods before but they were so good that I will definitely see them again.

The big ones

Micah P. Hinson

Midlake

Laura Marling

Sarabeth Tucek

Tinariwen

Beirut

Leisure Society

Doug Paisley

Megafaun

The majority of the rest I will have to research over then next 5 and a half months.

Edited by MattL80

Must see:

Perfume Genius

Micah P Hinson

Sam Amidon

Midlake

Lykke Li

The Walkmen

Like to see:

Mogwai

Beirut

Best Coast

Megafaun

Kurt Vile

Cambodian Space Project

Dry the River

John Grant

Joan as Policewoman

Wild Beasts

Woods

Megafaun

Not many shouts for either The Fall or Tinariwen so far on here.

Must Sees:

In no particular order etc.

Midlake

John Grant

The Deadly Syndrome

Beirut

Mogwai

Joanna Newsom

The Leisure Society

Fully intend to see:

Josh T Pearson

Drum Eyes

Laura Marling

Lanterns on the Lake

Dry the River

Megafaun

Perfume Genius

Brakes (Ha! See what I did there?)

Struggling to get into, though they seem popular:

Woods

The Walkmen

Just not interested. Give it up and retire to Spain, Mark:

The Fall

Lots more in there that I want to see, but those are the Headlines, if you will. Anyone else have a feeling that if John Grant is on in the Garden he is going to be overwhelmed at the size of the crowd and reception he's going to get? I feel a bit of an EoTR 'moment' looming!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

I might go and see The Fall. I've never been a fan, but they (obviously) pop up frequently when I listen to the playlist I've set up and they're alright. Of course, if they clash with anyone I've got an small desire to see, then they'll be sacked off.

I've seen them before anyway. Back in '94 at the Phoenix Festival and I hated them. But times change and I like them a little bit more now.

Must sees:

None yet.

Fully intend to see:

Beirut

Midlake

Mogwai

John Grant

Perfume Genius

Wild Beasts

Best Coast

Josh T Pearson

The Leisure Society

Caitlin Rose

Wild Nothing

Will probably see:

Laura Marling

The Walkmen

Twin Shadow

Darren Hanlon

Woods

Brakes

Joan as Police Woman

Probably not interested:

Joanna Newsom

Gordon Gano (I love the 2nd and 3rd Violent Femmes albums, but even the Violent Femmes didn't play those songs very often, so there's not much chance that Gordon solo will. And what I've heard of his solo stuff isn't very good).

The Fall (see Ben's comment above)

Bob Log III

This is sorta the point I was trying to make in the 3rd Headliner thread - there's quite a few bands that I'm interested in seeing, but no absolute must sees (whereas last year there were four or five). It's not a criticism of EoTR, just the way my tastes intersect with those particular lineups. And on the bright side, there are still a bunch of bands that don't fit any of those categories, which means they could be brilliant :D

Hmm. I'm not sure I want to think too much about this yet, at least not until we have a decent idea who's up against who, lest I get frustrated that Joan as Policewoman clashes with Cambodian Space Project. Suffice it to say there's lots of bands I'm keen to check out, but nobody I'd push people out of the way to get to.

I might go and see The Fall. I've never been a fan, but they (obviously) pop up frequently when I listen to the playlist I've set up and they're alright. Of course, if they clash with anyone I've got an small desire to see, then they'll be sacked off.

I've seen them before anyway. Back in '94 at the Phoenix Festival and I hated them. But times change and I like them a little bit more now.

Tinariwen sound great from what I've heard on Spotify, so I'm hoping for no clash there.

Also particularly interested in seeing :

Joanna Newsom, Midlake, Laura Marling, The Walkmen , John Grant, Joan As Police Woman, Mogwai, Willy Mason, Wooden Shjips, Josh T Pearson, Micah P Hinson, The Leisure Society, Gruff Rhys

re: The Fall... He's done some great stuff and he's a fantastic lyricist, and a unique character. The BBC doc that was repeated recently is brilliant even if you're not a fan. But as a live act he seems to never put in more than 20%. And they only play the stuff you don't know. So... maybe that's cool. But as a punter it doesn't do much for me to be watching a band crashing through 10 songs with the same riff while somebody, who appears to be angry with both the band and the audience, shuffles about messing with the volume controls and mumbling incomprehensibly.

Or maybe I caught him on a bad night. If they don't clash with any of the above I'll still watch 'em.

Just back from seeing John Grant open his tour at Sage 2, magnificent performance, just him and a (new) 2nd keyboard player. Same set-up as at Green Man last year so I'm really looking forward to seeing him play with Midlake (which I assume he will). Sea Of Bees supported and I would love to see her added to EOTR.

Anyone who saw him last year surely couldn't have Willy Mason down as 'must see' - unless overly-familiar folksy Americana stylings are your thing, of course. (So-called The Mountains and the Trees was even worse.) I'm with RealEarthMother - White Denim's 'Fits' was the best album of '09 and now they've added a second guitar they make a fierce Big Top prospect

Anyone who saw him last year surely couldn't have Willy Mason down as 'must see' - unless overly-familiar folksy Americana stylings are your thing, of course. (So-called The Mountains and the Trees was even worse.) I'm with RealEarthMother - White Denim's 'Fits' was the best album of '09 and now they've added a second guitar they make a fierce Big Top prospect