Soundgarden?

Guest Leyser

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is f**king awesome! Great news this year is looking sweet for albums, I am so pumped.

I saw your post about the Download announcement just now Mr.T and I agree, the Download announcements will give a lot of hints. If SG don't get announced as Friday Download headliner, I figure they're a good possibility for Reading. I believe I read the Friday sub won't be announced with this group, but I can't see that being Soundgarden anyway. Not sure why they would hold back if it was them, plus most of that forum believes it could be Velvet Revolver who are still finalizing their new vocalist.

Great news on the album regardless :D

The Download guys seem to think it won't be Soundgarden announced next week. There has been twitter posts from AC and other websites suggesting otherwise, but who knows. Honestly, if they don't get announced for Download there is really no where else I can see them playing other than R/L. That being said it is possible they will just do their own tour after Cornell is done with his solo junk

The bigger tell tell sign is that no one seems to be booking them for other festivals, last year they played just Lollapalooza which has more to do with their history with the festival than being a desirable band and nothing in europe so it's looks more likely imo than they will just be doing their own shows unless the new album is a decent hit.

The Download guys seem to think it won't be Soundgarden announced next week. There has been twitter posts from AC and other websites suggesting otherwise, but who knows. Honestly, if they don't get announced for Download there is really no where else I can see them playing other than R/L. That being said it is possible they will just do their own tour after Cornell is done with his solo junk

I'm going to suggest them for Bestival. If My Bloody Valentine can get away with headlining it, so can a band like Soundgarden.

I think a festival like Reading and Leeds would be a lot more - shall we say, prolific for a band like Soundgarden but the chances are there really won't be a big enough audience for them there. Bestival, from what I gather, has a seemingly overwhelming amount of people who appreciate fine music without any real pop culture attachments and it's one of the reasons why I was initially drawn to the festival this year instead of Reading and Leeds. In basic, there's probably a lot more open minded people at Bestival for them and it's a lot bigger than any ATP festival so if they don't turn up at Reading or Leeds this year, the chances are they might end up there or possibly at Latitude, although I couldn't picture them at the latter.

Maybe I'm just biased and secretly hope they will play there.

To be fair, they've had a lot of extremely stunning rock bands at that festival before and judging by the past few line-ups they've had, it's been a constant evolution of great music. Looking at what they already have, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a band like Soundgarden out of the hat - there would be a lot more people there to appreciate them if they did.

The Download headline situation seems like a bit of a shambles to be honest and that's good news, although I suspect that they could not be announced as headliner next week but get announced as the sub/co headliner in the next announcement since it seems like the Sunday there is heading in a co-headline (albeit not officially) direction.

I think the whole thing about Soundgarden not being appreciated by the R&L crowd is being massively overplayed. First they're better suited to Downlaod because their type of music is more appreciated there, then they're more suited to Bestival becasue good music is more appreciated there. It really isn't that simple. They may not be appreciated enough to headline R&L but there's certainly a place for them as sub or tent headliners.

No disrespect but I don't think their first UK festival after a 15-year hiatus is going to be anything other than Download, Sonisphere or R&L and it doesn't look like it'll be either of the first two this year. Chances are it won't be R&L either, so I'll be changing my sig to read 2012 :)