Weather thread 2011

Guest Paul ™

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first posting this year... I think it's 2008/2004 conditions. Both great years, with a bit of mud for a few days as well - but not fest ruining.

I'm sure the point has been made, but Worthy Farm is on peat soil, which goes from boggy to dry (with an odd spring effect) unbelievably quickly.

Whatever happens let's have the best time of our lives.

Well I thought the Countryfile forecast was v.positive. IMHO Ithink the site on the whole will be fine by the time folk turn up. Shangri La and Arcadia will probably be a mess because of the concentration of construction in such a confined area. When they said r##n they didn't mention that it was going to be heavy or thundery, so could be periods of drizzle/ light showers.

I'm going for a 2008 scenario, which as far as I'm concerned will do me.

That's it, Countryfile has spoken. I'm preparing myself mentally for the forecast they have given. So long Weather thread, you've screwed with my emotions too much over the past few weeks. Enough is enough.

The next time I see an image of the site will be with my own two eyes. Have a happy festival

He gave it a 6 just a couple of days ago. Then it went down to 5.5, now back up to 6.

There's generally been a lot of doom and gloom on this thread recently, which i dont really understand. Yes, it looks a bit wet at the minute but the forecast is that it will dry up as we head into the weekend. There will be plenty of places to sit on the grass in most parts of the site, it'll be fine.

I dont know how some people get through the day if they manage to get so depressed by decent weather forecasts. Or how they would cope if it actually was a bad forecast.

Right, back to my wellies v walking boots dilemma...

I think the forecast was very positive. What you need to take into account is the band of rain tomorrow is not predicted to arrive until 2pm. That gives nine hours of "drying time" before the rain arrives - which is only supposed to stay around, if it does at all, until 6pm in the form of light showers.

There is then the evening and whole of Tuesday with wind and good temperatutes.

Of course, the level of rain on Wednesday will be important. But in 2009 the rain came on Thursday and it was dry by Friday evening.

Sorted.

Depends on how much rain falls tomorrow I think, but I'd say it would be a bit naive not to take them.

I think the Countryfile report was reasonable. We all knew we weren't in for a repeat of last year a long time ago and those showers over the next couple of days could easily just be the odd mm of nothingness.

Could do with that high pushing in a little quicker to make sure the low gets out the way pronto, mind.

Which it will.

And it will be a beautiful weekend.

NFR, NFC!

I think conditions will be totally unique this year...and in future forum weather threads people will ask in dread/hope/indifference whether it will be like 2011 again.

I would definately take wellies. I went to 97 one without wellies - one of the biggest mistakes of my life (I don't take many risks).

Ok not bad, at least for the weekend. BUT, theres a fair bit of rain before that. Glastonbury starts on Wednesday and if you've been on Worthy Farm before with 180,000 other people when it's rained for a couple of days you'll know that means it'll be a fukkin bloody mess. And it'll stretch into the weekend, in fact if it rains on and off before the weekend, which is forecast, then it means the weekend will be a knee deep sticky swamp in places!

Edited by Cooter

theres always a debate about wellies

I've stuck to walking boots long socks and gaitors - worked for me in 2009 as I hate to get my feet out of wellies

and if you think your clothes will get muddy wear shorts - Easier to clean skin once mud dries with wet wipes

sorted for any weather