bye efests.

Guest mrfunk

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to be certain about things, but I wonder what grounds you have for your certainty.

analysis of who got tickets.

Also, while no ISP is preferred as such by see in some sort of conspiracy theory, it's still quite logical to expect that some users who are "closer" to see's server - I mean in internet hops, NOT geographically - are more likely to succeed than those who are more "distant", or that some ISPs could have an autonomic reaction which throttled outbound traffic to see.

The number of hops defo doesn't make a difference (aside from the time it takes for a request to get from a computer to its destination ... which I guess might mean a couple less refreshes within an hour for someone refreshing constantly).

However, for any router that's maxed out, there will be a method internal to it for prioritising one packet over another - otherwise it wouldn't know what to do with either packet. It's impossible to know for sure if this actually pans out as an advantage to someone with a particular set-up over another set-up, but if it does give an advantage then it's so tiny it's immeasurable in the Glasto tickets scenario.

Well I am impressed. So you've collected the information about which ISP every successful ticket purchaser came from, and ensured that there is no ISP which is missing or significantly underrepresented in that data compared to their prevalence in normal UK usage? Wow. I'm humbled by your dedication to these boards when clearly you could be earning megabucks selling data mining services to major corporations.

Did I say that I was the one who'd done it? :)

Indeed no, I stand corrected. But if it was See, then my confidence in the results would be low.

I'm not actually sure if they've done it this time around, but they've definitely done it in the past - the same conspiracy theory comes around each year. And there's no reasons for them to tell porkies - they don't prioritise any particular ISP, why would they? They only care about selling tickets to anyone that wants them.

The analysis they've done in the past got to show that the proportion of successful orders from any ISP was in the same ball park as the proportion of registrations from any ISP.

And my own anecdotal ... In previous years I've got to the buying page without any problem at all. This year I didn't get a sniff for the whole 4 hours. It's run thru my head that "maybe I was blocked out somehow", but ultimately there's going to be some that are blocked out, aren't there? After all, if everyone got thru then everyone would have got a ticket and we wouldn't be having this convo.

At the end of the day, people only feel it was unfair because others got tickets while they didn't - and they feel there must be a reason why. There is a reason, but that reason is simply the luck of the draw.

judging by the amount of tech input to numerous threads i'm seriously concerned that this may not be far from the truth....

Nah, it's simply people trying to find something to blame for why they lost out when others didn't - they want something to blame, and just won't accept that it was simply down to luck.

It's a symptom of the blame culture we have.

I'm not actually sure if they've done it this time around, but they've definitely done it in the past - the same conspiracy theory comes around each year. And there's no reasons for them to tell porkies - they don't prioritise any particular ISP, why would they? They only care about selling tickets to anyone that wants them.

Agreed, there is no reason for See to do such a thing, and I did say earlier that I do not subscribe to a conspiracy theory.

Here I start to doubt. What data does See hold about someone's registration? They know the person's email address. And for most users these days, there is no connection between their service provider and their email address. Are you telling me that in their database they are holding the details of the ISP that the person was using when they registered? Even if they do, the data would be fairly meaningless - the registration may be up to three years old, people may have moved, changed their ISP for some other reason, or just be sitting at a different computer. OK, they may have aggregated the data and got some results. But remember these are people who think IIS is a a good choice for a high-throughput server.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

Are you telling me that in their database they are holding the details of the ISP that the person was using when they registered?

I'd be very surprised if they don't record at least the IP address against any registration, as it's a very standard thing to do with such things. They might even record the look-up of that IP address too.

But remember these are people who think IIS is a a good choice for a high-throughput server.

I suspect they're not using IIS on that basis alone - the integration features can be very useful, depending on what a company does.

(that is, if they're using IIS - I don't know that they are).