• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

I've just read that Shitty have signed David Silva. The same article says that Yaya Toure is about to sign too.

Along with all the other players they're supposedly after I'm guessing that players are signing for them cos they want a very well paid constant holiday, cos it's not like many of them will play each week. ;)

I've just read that Shitty have signed David Silva. The same article says that Yaya Toure is about to sign too.

Along with all the other players they're supposedly after I'm guessing that players are signing for them cos they want a very well paid constant holiday, cos it's not like many of them will play each week. ;)

Hodgson to liverpool is a really underwhelming choice to me, he has done well with fulham but have a feeling he may struggle with the bigger egos at the bigger team. I think he will be gone from liverpool within 2 years and wont qualify for the champions league.

Yup, I'm not sure that it's a good thing. He's got a fairly impressive CV with the teams he's managed, but not really much in the way of success with those teams.

Plus, having just read today's BBC footie gossip, it seems he's a bit of a Keegan, thinking that getting-past-it players are the ones to sign.

Sad to see Hodgson go and don't think there are many managers out there who can keep doing what he did for us. Rumours for our replacement are Sven and Curbs thus far, think both would be ok though - afterall I don't think we've ever really had high profile managers linked with our job since we got into the prem so that's decent progress. The bigger worry is what'll happen to our players now Roys gone, will be a fun summer.

Not sure about Roy at Liverpool, he's done amazing for Fulham but Liverpool seem to be in a state that I don't fancy any manager to get them out of. End of the day I don't think anyone could get them back into the top 4 as quickly as is expected and I'd imagine he'll be axed reasonably quick, not that anyone will do a better job...

Yup, I'm not sure that it's a good thing. He's got a fairly impressive CV with the teams he's managed, but not really much in the way of success with those teams.

Plus, having just read today's BBC footie gossip, it seems he's a bit of a Keegan, thinking that getting-past-it players are the ones to sign.

Which 2 out of arsenal, man city and spurs do you see them finishing above?? I could see them finishing above spurs who may find the champions league effects league form however arsenals young players will be a year more experinced while city will invest heavily.

They could finish above any or all of those 3. Don't forget they basically have the same team that finished 2nd in 08/09 and that Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal have all weakened/stayed the same since. City still have to become a team (see England for how that can fail) and Spurs could hit that 2nd season syndrome.

Liverpool could finish anywhere from 2nd to 8th next season, and I'd say they're pretty much equally likely to finish anywhere between 2nd and 6th.

The same team who finished second in 08/09 will be 2 years older by the time the season finishes! They lost alonso who was a massive player and dont have the money to replace him. Masheranos clearly looking for a move, carraghers apporaching retirement and I gerrards approaching 30 and likely to get worse not better. Its not comparible to the 08/09 side its weaker and without major investment its likely to get worse not better.

Edited by amaidment

I don't disagree that it'll get worse without investment, but 2 years doesn't make that much difference yet (it will in another year or 2). Yes Carragher is getting on but Liverpool have Agger and Skrtel too. Gerrard hitting 30 means he should still be at his peak. Selling Alonso was a mistake but Aquilani could come good.

I guess it depends how you look at it! The right back isn't a great defender but certainly isn't terrible. Ferdinand and King aren't slow. Rooney is top class (just didnt't show it, despite having a great season) and Crouch has a great record. I'd argue that King, A Cole, Lampard, Rooney, Lennon, Milner and Defoe all had good seasons. Of the players who started for England in the World Cup, who had poor seasons? Gerrard and Terry is about it I think (ignoring Heskey, who has never had a good season).

I disagree about players being at their peak at 30, I think people peaked later in the past. However now I would say peak for a central midfield is late 20s. I dont think gerrard will reach the level he was 2 years ago. I cant see aquilani coming good, in general a crock doesnt change his injury prone ways and they wont sell him for much. I also dont see selling beneyoun as a good move.

Only NOTW but Toure highest paid player in the prem.

Ivory Coast midfielder Toure - who played just 16 games for the Spanish champions last season - will receive a guaranteed £4.1million a year basic salary AFTER tax.

On top of that he will get an image rights payment of £1.65m a year (with a profit-share on his shirt sales) PLUS an £823,000 bonus each time City qualify for the Champions League PLUS a £412,000 bonus for winning Europe's top competition PLUS additional bonuses for winning the Premier League and FA Cup - all tax-free.

It means City will pay him a basic salary this season of a whopping £185,000 a week before tax.

That figure will rise to an incredible £221,000 a week next April when the Government's new 50 per cent tax bracket comes into force - dwarfing the wages of England stars Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard and John Terry.

It also means City will have to fork out a basic £55.6m in wages over the five years - with that figure set to soar if Roberto Mancini's team are successful.

That is on top of the £24m transfer fee - making the total deal a minimum £79.6MILLION.

Toure will earn a basic £5.75m a year AFTER tax, meaning he will take home £110,500 a week.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/865170/TOURE-IS-PREMIER-LEAGUES-HIGHEST-PAID-PLAYER.html