WASHOUT

Guest Groupie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had'nt noticed anywhere saying its going to be a washout. If anything forecasts at the mo say its going to be comfortably warm, maybe a slight light shower now and again and regular bursts of sunshine. Not bad really, I'd take that.

What weather forecast are you on about? The Metoffice has just released a typically wishy-washy, noncommittal "forecast" saying that it'll probably rain a bit in June, and there will be some sun as well, but we couldn't say when & where. Terrified of committing after their BBQ Summer fiasco last year, they're offering nothing of use at all. Consequently the BBC and others have latched onto this non-forecast as evidence that it's going to rain on Glasto & Wimbledon. It's cobblers.

We now have a "June monsoon" every year where it rains for a week or so. This year we're getting it this week. It'll be probably fine by the end of the month. The Weather Outlook, which forecast last summer's weather correctly, and forecast both snow-dumps over xmas correctly, has the following forecast for June:

Month: Jun 1 to Jun 30: Reasonable

Temperature

Over the forecast period, temperatures are expected to be slightly above the Central England Temperature (CET) average.

Precipitation

Slightly below average.

1/6 to 7/6

Improving during the week with an increasing amount of fine weather after an indifferent start as high pressure builds across the country. Temperatures should gradually rise and it will become rather warm.

8/6 to 14/6

Becoming less settled with showers or longer spells of rain returning during the week. It is likely to turn significantly cooler for a while, and possibly quite windy for the time of year.

15/6 to 21/6

Turning drier and warmer during the week, especially in southern parts. Still less settled in the north at times with showery rain.

22/6 to 30/6

A lot of fine and summery weather is expected during the last part of the month. Temperatures should generally be above average across the whole of the country, and it may become very warm in the south for a time.

So don't worry - chances are it'll be fine.

Edited by Tomska

Aside from the fact that the forecast is completely wrong if it is saying a "wash out" because we all know it is gonna be a scorcher - norainplease is my name after all!! I would suggest that in the very unlikey case that there may be some r word ( <_< :angry: ), be prepared!

By being prepared I suggest:

1. A good jacket
  2. Some good footwear
  3. Lots and lots of good cider/ale
  4. Lots and lots of good friends!!
:D

But it's gonna be a scorcher so no need to even worry about the first two things on my list!!! :lol::DB)

As the great wise Weather thread people say:

No Rain No Compromise!!

Everyone has their own way of dealing with it.

With me, for when it is bad with the falling down stuff.

Definately pack talc powder for your feet (love your feet, you will be abusing them, nice bouncy insoles are good as well)

Good boots or wellies (i'm not getting into that argument :ph34r: )

Consider sealskinz water proof socks or a simmilar brand.

Trainer socks worn under thick socks stops the rubbing and blisters.

A good poncho or cape (vulcan rubber cloth or ripstop nylon).

Alternatively a drizabone style oil cloth duster, or barbour style coat. Get down Joe bananas when you arrive on site and find one (they usually have a rack of them for dirt cheap. I think I paid £5 for one one year). I picked up a dizabone style knee lenght rideing coat last year from one of the Oxfam stalls on site for £15

A woolen shirt or cardigan underneath it it stops the cold clammy feel you get with a waterproof over a plain cotton top (if it is too warm just unbutton it, you can't do that with a jumper!). Also does for cold nights.

Good broad brimmed hat.

Alternatively you could just have some scuba gear or go nekid! :unsure:

Edited by HurrahBrother