Glastonbury Photography

Guest George Saguna

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George, you have shown us some very nice pics of Glastonbury you've taken - at the beginning of this thread - they look great.

But you keep posting again and again to keep this thread bumped and post more of your work, none Glasto related. This isn't a place to come and promote you're own photography. Especially as all your photo's have you email address on

Out of your 59 posts, 57 have been in here keeping this topic on the front page.

Welcome to efests, but try chatting on different topics and add to the discussions here.

This is not a general photography forum.

:P

I've been considering getting a 50mm F1.8D for my Nikon D60, currently using the standard 18-55mm and 55-200mm

My main gripe with the D60 is it doesn't have a built-in motor in the body, so I'd have to manual focus. Is this relatively quick and simple to do? Also are they just suitable for fixed portraits or are there other uses?

I've been considering getting a 50mm F1.8D for my Nikon D60, currently using the standard 18-55mm and 55-200mm

My main gripe with the D60 is it doesn't have a built-in motor in the body, so I'd have to manual focus. Is this relatively quick and simple to do? Also are they just suitable for fixed portraits or are there other uses?

I've got one for my D40 with the same lack of motor and wouldn't be without it. It's not bad for portraits and also for taking photos of portraits/artwork etc due to it's low distortion, but also you can have a lot of fun doing low-light stuff with it and you can get results that just aren't possible with the kit lenses even if it is a bit fiddly focussing manually. I've got the 35mm DX as well and that's handy too but not as pleasing as the 50 when you get it right!

(A few gig shots taken with mine /index.php?autocom=gallery&req=user&user=2&op=view_album&album=822">here)

Thanks both, thats what I feared.

Have invested in 2x teleconverter, macro close-up lens attachments, and a 52mm wide-angle and been disappointed with the results of all so far.

Shall investigate the 35mm 1.8g afs, though might end up investing in CS5 instead then (!) Photomerge seems to have come a long way in this ed., might try doing some 3-D panoramas at Glasto.

Edit

I've got one for my D40 with the same lack of motor and wouldn't be without it. It's not bad for portraits and also for taking photos of portraits/artwork etc due to it's low distortion, but also you can have a lot of fun doing low-light stuff with it and you can get results that just aren't possible with the kit lenses even if it is a bit fiddly focussing manually. I've got the 35mm DX as well and that's handy too but not as pleasing as the 50 when you get it right!

(A few gig shots taken with mine /index.php?autocom=gallery&req=user&user=2&op=view_album&album=822">here)

Edited by ethereal

George, you have shown us some very nice pics of Glastonbury you've taken - at the beginning of this thread - they look great.

But you keep posting again and again to keep this thread bumped and post more of your work, none Glasto related. This isn't a place to come and promote you're own photography. Especially as all your photo's have you email address on

Out of your 59 posts, 57 have been in here keeping this topic on the front page.

Welcome to efests, but try chatting on different topics and add to the discussions here.

This is not a general photography forum.

On that particular Glasto I was using a 70 300 USM IS f4-5.6 which gives you a distance off your subjects. Obviously I dont have every one's permission.

It would be so cool to see some super 8 footage of the event, no matter abut the noise, there is always a lot of back ground noise in Glasto so it will be quit muffled. Do you still find film for it and were to develop it, because I should have an old one but cant find film in Gozo

would be nice to meet up

Thats great info. Could be be so kind to get me an address to it because I will be there for a very short time before I get on the coach.

You wouldn't know of a good shop in the area of victoria station were I can find photography equipment??

Photography in Glastonbury

Every one asks regards what type of camera or lens is best to take with you to a festival, personally its up to the person who is going to carry it and the the quality of photos you are after. Its usless taking a lot of gear if you know that you will not be willing to carry it around with you. Leaving it in a lock up for the duration of the festival is a safe solution but who is going to go run for the camera just to take a shot. Its also useless if you don't know your camera neither. I mean you need to know how much your battery lasts and how much photos you actually take. The constant problem that I get to every time is recharging of batteries and memory cards.

For those that are about to get a camera and are not that much interested in a DSLR I really suggest one of these new point and shoot cameras. Some of the fetchers in them are great especially if you are not willing to play around with your photos when you get home. One of the best I find is the face recognition fetcher which really helps. It makes sure that your friends in the photos come perfect (or nearly, it doesn't make them any prettier though). Its also great to have video in your camera as some memories should never be lost. One other fetcher which is great is Image stabilizer which really helps you to take photos in slightly low light conditions. Many persons think that their flash will so solve all the night problems but your camera flash can only do so much. If you are more then ten meters from your subject you are only wasting your precious battery (especially if you have your finger covering your flash). One other really good fetcher that some cameras are coming out with is water proofing, some of them to even ten meters. You might not go to the sea but Glasto is renown for its rain and MUD. I have see a couple of persons dropping their mobile in their drink.

No matter what camera you take with you and no matter what photos you take its all about the memories they carry. For some people is superfluous to the quality of the photo and i totally agree with that. Some of my favorite photos are the ones my daughter took, and thats because they cary sentimental value. So one last tip take care of your memory cards and store them some were safe. A camera can be replaced if lost or stolen but your photos are a point in time which you will not be able to get back to.

• 1 month later...