Glastonbury Photography

Guest George Saguna

For those interested in Glasto related photography, I have a good book called 'Glastonbury the Festival' given to me by the photographer Liam Bailey. Just dug it out the cupboard now, foreword by no other than John Peel. Not sure if still in print, but ISBN 0-9525866-0-9 for those interested.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photography in Glastonbury

Every one asks regards what type of camera or lens is best to take with you to a festival, personally its up to the person who is going to carry it and the the quality of photos you are after. Its usless taking a lot of gear if you know that you will not be willing to carry it around with you. Leaving it in a lock up for the duration of the festival is a safe solution but who is going to go run for the camera just to take a shot. Its also useless if you don't know your camera neither. I mean you need to know how much your battery lasts and how much photos you actually take. The constant problem that I get to every time is recharging of batteries and memory cards.

For those that are about to get a camera and are not that much interested in a DSLR I really suggest one of these new point and shoot cameras. Some of the fetchers in them are great especially if you are not willing to play around with your photos when you get home. One of the best I find is the face recognition fetcher which really helps. It makes sure that your friends in the photos come perfect (or nearly, it doesn't make them any prettier though). Its also great to have video in your camera as some memories should never be lost. One other fetcher which is great is Image stabilizer which really helps you to take photos in slightly low light conditions. Many persons think that their flash will so solve all the night problems but your camera flash can only do so much. If you are more then ten meters from your subject you are only wasting your precious battery (especially if you have your finger covering your flash). One other really good fetcher that some cameras are coming out with is water proofing, some of them to even ten meters. You might not go to the sea but Glasto is renown for its rain and MUD. I have see a couple of persons dropping their mobile in their drink.

No matter what camera you take with you and no matter what photos you take its all about the memories they carry. For some people is superfluous to the quality of the photo and i totally agree with that. Some of my favorite photos are the ones my daughter took, and thats because they cary sentimental value. So one last tip take care of your memory cards and store them some were safe. A camera can be replaced if lost or stolen but your photos are a point in time which you will not be able to get back to.

Great advise George .Thanks.

I am such a point and shoot punter with a fair to midling samsung digital 10.2 mp..Can i ask your opinion on something.

Ive witnessed some excellent shots that people have obvioulsly taken INTO the sunrise /sunset at Glasto with great results of foreground details, shadow etc which without filters etc i imagine would be a no no for the likes of me and my camera/experience . Are there filter cards , paper i can get to hold against my shutter to allow me to obtain similar effects ? Many thanks in advance .

Bumping this back up to discuss the photographers meet that was talked about in April.

Here's what jameshunt said:

Any one got an idea were we can meet on Wednesday?

Red Flag bar in the Acoustic Field, if it opens a day earlier than usual.

If not then The Solidarity bar which is near the Pyramid stage as this usually opens at 11am or so on the Wed. Walk down the main drag from Ped Gate C and it's on the right just past the Cider Bus.

We'll get better info on when the bars are opening nearer the time.

edit: The Bimble Inn might be a decent shout as well, depending on opening times. Very nice place to sit and chill. Over by the Park Stage.

Anyone still interested?

Bumping this back up to discuss the photographers meet that was talked about in April.

Here's what jameshunt said:

Any one got an idea were we can meet on Wednesday?

Red Flag bar in the Acoustic Field, if it opens a day earlier than usual.

If not then The Solidarity bar which is near the Pyramid stage as this usually opens at 11am or so on the Wed. Walk down the main drag from Ped Gate C and it's on the right just past the Cider Bus.

We'll get better info on when the bars are opening nearer the time.

edit: The Bimble Inn might be a decent shout as well, depending on opening times. Very nice place to sit and chill. Over by the Park Stage.

Anyone still interested?

When pointing your camera into the sun you get a problem of exposure as any thing in between is not really emitting light. You might have noticed that when you do that you get a lot of harsh shadows. One way to counteract this problem is to force the flash to trigger as to illuminate the subject in front of you. The problem is that flash (especially small on board flash) has limited power and will not effect at a large distance.

You can use a graduated neutral density filter to balance out the light in the back ground from the shade in the foreground but it will not work that well on a small lens. They work best on wide angle lenses.

Feel free to ask about any difficult you have.

What camera do you have?

I think if it ends up being a crucial game (last England group match after all) then a fair few might want to catch it. Also, if it has a huge crowd then it becomes a photo opportunity in its own right.

Let's change the time to 5pm. Given it's Glastonbury that should really mean something like 5pm-5:30-ish arrival as time has a funny habbit of being elastic there. :)

I think if it ends up being a crucial game (last England group match after all) then a fair few might want to catch it. Also, if it has a huge crowd then it becomes a photo opportunity in its own right.

Let's change the time to 5pm. Given it's Glastonbury that should really mean something like 5pm-5:30-ish arrival as time has a funny habbit of being elastic there. :)

James what do you think if we meet before hand, go to the game together and then find our way around to the Bimble all together. Like that every one will find the place. I am pretty sure that every one knows were Pyramid is. That will be an easier meeting place what do you think, for example next to the cider bar, what do you think??

That sounds great!

Looking forward to meeting you!

I guess we should be able to find each other fairly easily...we'll likely all have camera bags of some sort with us... :lol:

I have another photo question for the festival vets here.

Should I consider bringing a second body and lens? I just bought a new Nikon D90 for the trip and have a kit lens 18-105, a 70-300mm and a 50mm. I'm bringing those lenses and th Nikon for sure.

But, I also have my old Olympus eVolt-500 with two kit lenses. It doesn't take quite as good a pictures...(the Nikon has just been amazing to play with so far.) But, I have used the Olympus on three previous trips to the UK, so it's acceptable stuff. And, I'm only shooting for my own edification, not for anything specific.

I could bring the extra camera, but it uses CF cards and nothing between them is compatable (battery, lens, cards). So, it's a fair amount of extra weight...do you guys see any point?

I've sort of answered my own question just typing this out...(I'm leaning towards not hauling the extra weight). I just wondered if I'm missing any really good reasons that I should bring it along as an extra/backup?

Thanks!

JT

That sounds great!

Looking forward to meeting you!

I could bring the extra camera, but it uses CF cards and nothing between them is compatable (battery, lens, cards). So, it's a fair amount of extra weight...do you guys see any point?

I've sort of answered my own question just typing this out...(I'm leaning towards not hauling the extra weight). I just wondered if I'm missing any really good reasons that I should bring it along as an extra/backup?

Thanks!

JT

Thats one of the reasons why I have two identical bodies. To start with it will be easier to know your camera because they are the same. Every thing is interchangeable and an extra bodie on its own is not that heavy. What you might do is take the extra camera and kit with you and lock them up at the lock up. Like that you will not have to carry extra weight around and it makes if things go wrong you are safe.

James with regard to meeting place you are completely right and with recognizing each other I am sure that our camera bags will be a sure give away.

Okay guys and gals.

We're on for The Photographers' Meet!

Day: Wednesday the 23rd of June

Where: The Bimble Inn, The Park (it looks like a number of tipis joined together and is in the main drag)

Time: 5pm to 5:30ish arrival to whenever people get bored/drunk/whisked off by their spouses etc.

Dress code: Wear a camera! Anything else is optional. ;)

See you all there!!! Use this thread to indicate whether you might be attending or not. I know a few already have on previous pages.

Likewise!

re: spare camera body set up. If nothing else can be shared with your main one then it would only really work as a backup. Chances are that nothing would go wrong with your main camera though so it would just be extra weight.

Long lens on one and wide angle on the other does give you more shooting options but whether that's worth the extra weight and hassle you'd have to decide yourself.

I usually take a compact cameras as a backup, but am so disillusioned with the quality of the shots I get from it now that I'm not sure I'll bother this time around.

Thats one of the reasons why I have two identical bodies. To start with it will be easier to know your camera because they are the same. Every thing is interchangeable and an extra bodie on its own is not that heavy. What you might do is take the extra camera and kit with you and lock them up at the lock up. Like that you will not have to carry extra weight around and it makes if things go wrong you are safe.

James with regard to meeting place you are completely right and with recognizing each other I am sure that our camera bags will be a sure give away.

Fab photos going on here :)

Im bringing my kit for the first time this year - Nikon D80 with a 10-20mm, 18-200mm and a 70-300mm. I found insurance that will cover me at the festival in case of theft. Normally I would just be wielding my compact but im too excited this year to just bring that.

Any advice on how to store equipment in the lock ups? I was thinking camera bag with a bin liner wrapped around it.