Paramore TBC!

Guest adamwilko

Paramore are bigger than every sub we had last year, they sold out an arena tour pretty fast and have an absolutely huge teenage fan base but couldn't headline.

3rd down would be as insulting as Slipknot, which only happened for obvious moral reasons.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, they were probably a fall back option if Arctics hadn't have been ready with Humbug, but Prodigy are big off what they've done in the past as opposed to now.

The fact they've been at every festival under the sun in the last few years though tainted that option though, whereas Paramore will be a UK exclusive.

Prodigy didn't sell out their last arena tour, Paramore did. For that reason, I'd say at the present time they justify it more.

I was mainly referring to BP and KC.

I agree, they were probably a fall back option if Arctics hadn't have been ready with Humbug, but Prodigy are big off what they've done in the past as opposed to now.

The fact they've been at every festival under the sun in the last few years though tainted that option though, whereas Paramore will be a UK exclusive.

Prodigy didn't sell out their last arena tour, Paramore did. For that reason, I'd say at the present time they justify it more.

I was mainly referring to BP and KC.

Anyone got any more information on this? How sure are you, eFests?

Very .... at least, that was the case at the time of getting the info around two weeks ago.

Things do of course sometimes change for all sorts of reasons. But I've no reason to think this has changed.

But than again, if Melvin has gone out and booked some other bands for the top of the line-up in the last couple of weeks (which a thread started today suggests must have happened if accurate), then loads of stuff might well have changed.

Very .... at least, that was the case at the time of getting the info around two weeks ago.

Things do of course sometimes change for all sorts of reasons. But I've no reason to think this has changed.

But than again, if Melvin has gone out and booked some other bands for the top of the line-up in the last couple of weeks (which a thread started today suggests must have happened if accurate), then loads of stuff might well have changed.

I think you have to be careful when using how fast they sell out arenas in the uk, to determine how big a draw they are in a festival. The fact is for a paramore tour you are going to get predominantly paramore fans watching. In a festival you are going to get a lot more caual floating fans who may watch and may not. Paramore may sell more records than kaiser chiefs and may sell out tours quicker, however last year kaiser chiefs drew a big crowd and I would guess that a large proportion (including me) would not pay to go to one of their own shows because I knew a lot of the songs. Even with the demographics changing I would still say there will be more people int he festival that could name 3 kaiser chief songs than 3 paramore songs. Therefore who is the biggest draw is debatable. I certianly dont think paramore will get a bigger crowd.
Edited by mjsell

I think you have to be careful when using how fast they sell out arenas in the uk, to determine how big a draw they are in a festival. The fact is for a paramore tour you are going to get predominantly paramore fans watching. In a festival you are going to get a lot more caual floating fans who may watch and may not. Paramore may sell more records than kaiser chiefs and may sell out tours quicker, however last year kaiser chiefs drew a big crowd and I would guess that a large proportion (including me) would not pay to go to one of their own shows because I knew a lot of the songs. Even with the demographics changing I would still say there will be more people int he festival that could name 3 kaiser chief songs than 3 paramore songs. Therefore who is the biggest draw is debatable. I certianly dont think paramore will get a bigger crowd.

DId you go to reading/leeds last year, on this board people moaned how kaiserchiefs were not popular anymore, had no talent and wouldnt draw a big crowd. There was absolutely no evidence that they had fallen of the radar.. They are a band that cannot just go off peoples radar because they have produced some of the most catchy songs in the last 10 years, perfect for a festival singalong. People are not just going to forget them. They may not sell as many records as they used to but they will attract a large proprtion of people who would not pay for their gigs. Kaiser chiefs have 7 top 20 singles to paramores 2. There is no way in 4 months time that the majority of the crowd will know as many paramore songs.

Paramore sell a hell of a lot of records but its quite concnetrated to a particualr fanbase. Kaisers have had way more mainstream exposure and over the years have sold their cds to people who proabbly only buy 3 or 4 albums a year, an audience paramore probably have not got to yet. You can speak to someone in an indie club, your hairdresser or the bloke who sits next to you in the office and they know who the kaiser chiefs are. It takes years to get that sort of casual appeal, paramore cannot just get it in a few months.

KOL drew more casual appeal then KC's simply off of two hit singles, and the fact they were the 'now' band last year, and that was done in a similiar time frame. It could just be where I am Paramore are alot more huge then elsewhere, but I honestly can't think of the last time I went out and didn't hear at least one Paramore song, whereas I've no heard KC's on the radio / on a night out since the second album came out.

Were you at Reading or Leeds? As KC's probably got a bit more appeal at Leeds what with it being their home town and all. At Reading last year they drew a reasonably large crowd but not as big as 2006.

The thing that frustrates me about Paramore being second is that they have only just got to the size they are. There is no way whatsoever that they would have played second last year where as the Kaisers could do it from 06 and did it with relative ease last year. Same with the Prodigy and Bloc Party actually did it the year before. I know that natural progression means they'll play it eventually but I wasn't happy about a recent subheadliner if you will going with another 2 recent bands who wouldn't have been able to sub headline previous years, which is what the original rumours a week ago was suggesting and still could happen. If it was them say with Arcade fire and mcr then I wouldn't be too fussed but a bit frustrated due to their lack of hits and crossover appeal that a subheadliner has that attracts a bigger crowd ala kaisers or stereophonics.

And I haven't heard many of their recent tracks, tho I have heard the latest one a few times. And not hearing anything from the second album onwards with the Kaisers is crap! Everybody heard 'never miss a beat' from the 3rd album and I reckon that it is more recognisable than any Paramore track and they achieved that with a relatively poor selling album!

Edited by stylishkids

KOL drew more casual appeal then KC's simply off of two hit singles, and the fact they were the 'now' band last year, and that was done in a similiar time frame. It could just be where I am Paramore are alot more huge then elsewhere, but I honestly can't think of the last time I went out and didn't hear at least one Paramore song, whereas I've no heard KC's on the radio / on a night out since the second album came out.

Were you at Reading or Leeds? As KC's probably got a bit more appeal at Leeds what with it being their home town and all. At Reading last year they drew a reasonably large crowd but not as big as 2006.

07/23 - Raleigh Boutique Amphitheatre-- Raleigh, NC

07/24 - Delaware State Fair-- Harrington, DE

07/27 - Toyota Presents Oakdale Theatre-- Wallingford, CT*

07/28 - Comcast Center for the Performing Arts-- Mansfield, MA*

07/30 - Constant Convocation Center-– Norfolk, VA

07/31 - Merriweather Post Pavilion-- Columbia, MD

08/03 - Meadowbrook U.S. Cellular Pavilion-- Gilford, NH

08/04 - Festival Pier at Penn's Landing-- Philadelphia, PA

08/07 - Hershey Park Pavilion -- Hershey, PA

08/08 - Darien Lake Performing Arts Center-- Darien Center, NY

08/10 - Time Warner Cable Amphitheatre @ Tower City-- Cleveland, OH*

08/12 - PNC Pavilion at Riverbend Music Center-- Cincinnati, OH

08/14 - Miller Stage-- Milwaukee, WI*

08/15 - Meadow Brook Theatre-- Rochester Hills, MI*

08/18 - Charter One Pavilion-- Chicago, IL*

08/19 - The Lawn at White River State Park-- Indianapolis, IN

08/21 - Nashville Municipal Auditorium-- Nashville, TN *

09/01 - The Arena at Gwinnett Center-- Duluth, GA

09/02 – St Augustine Ampihtheatre – St Augustine, FL

09/04 – Bayfront Park Amphitheatre – Miami, FL

09/05 – UCF Arena – Orlando, FL

09/07 - Kiefer UNO Lakefront Arena-- New Orleans, LA

09/08 – Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Houston, TX

09/10 – Nokia Theatre – Dallas, TX

09/13 – Red Rocks Amphitheatre – Denver, CO*

09/15 - Dodge Theatre-- Phoenix, AZ

09/17 - Theatre @ HP Pavilion-- San Jose, CA

09/18 - Viejas Arena-- San Diego, CA

09/19 - Honda Center-- Anaheim, CA

Honda Civic tour dates - convenient gap during Reading weekend...

last week according to last.fm data, paramore where the 23rd most listened band worldwide with over 57K listeners. that's higher than QOTSA, tenacious d, bloc party and any of the other bands suggested, that's even more than blink! it doesn't make them better, but facts are facts, they're getting a bigger audience atm, putting them in a damn good position to play under blink.