No More Heroes?

Guest lord stradmor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying it's a bad choice, I just don't get the rationale behind it really.

Why now? Why them? depends which stage, I suppose.

I can't imagine, however, that the bookers for the greatest festival ever woke up one morning and said, 'Dammit, I know what this festival has been missing, it's 2010 what we need more than anything else is the Stranglers'

I'm not saying it's a bad choice, I just don't get the rationale behind it really.

Why now? Why them? depends which stage, I suppose.

I can't imagine, however, that the bookers for the greatest festival ever woke up one morning and said, 'Dammit, I know what this festival has been missing, it's 2010 what we need more than anything else is the Stranglers'

I saw them at V a couple of years ago. They were on early and they were absolutely fantastic. It's amazing how many of their songs you know.

I don't think Cornwell has been part of them for ages now, so I can't see him playing with them - But don't let that put you off - They're great.

If I was clever enough I'd insert a link to "Duchess" but I'm not so I won't.

Think I'd probably be putting my money on Avalon Stage but I don't really care TBH, anywhere any time would be good for me :P

As for questions of "why" ... same thing could so easily be asked in respect of Hazel O'Connor appearing for instance and she's played twice in recent years - first in 2004 with the awesome Subterraneans and then a much more acoustic set with Cormac and Ruairi De Barra in 2008. Both absolutely bl**dy excellent gigs and I'd have kicked meself for ever and a day if I'd missed either of them !

Think it's gonna be clash city this year aint it :P No shortage of very difficult decisions to be made on the day and all that :P

Edited by mikeb

I hadn't listened to any Stranglers material after Hugh Cornwall left the group and to be honest i don't really like any of their new material. Do they play any of the old material live with the new set up? As they are back as a four now. I love the stuff pre 1990 and of course "no more heroes" and "Rattus" are legendary albums. I want something else to watch other than U2 and this is good for a start, although i think they might be playing a lot from their new album out this year. Images of them playing a set of old classics might fall way short of the mark.

I don't mind a couple of their songs, as a kid I had Rattus Norvegicus on vinyl, but I can't quite believe in 2010 they're a vital contemporary force. An anachronism really, put them in the same category as Status Quo

baz warne who is their current guitarist and co lead singer is brilliant and just as good a songwriter,guitarist,singer as hugh cornwell. the band get better live the older they get. they will be untouchable from every other band at the festival,and that includes u2. dont miss them,you'll see a band that will outperform every other one at glastonbury.