Thom Yorke

Guest DORG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't enjoy it, Not because he wasn't brilliant - he was - but I'm not one for getting down the front, and he refused to have the screens on. And frankly, if you were halfway back you might has well have listened of your copy of The Reckoner at home and stared at a picture of him on the other side of the room.

I can't understand why he/they are so against creating a visual spectacle these day to match the music. The last 3 times I've seen them/him - Victoria Park, Latitude, Reading - have been spoiled by the inability to see them from some way back. And that's all because they refuse to use video as a means to provide close ups and info about what's going on on stage.

I've followed them since The Bends and stuck with them through all the experimentation - admired it, really - but if they keep up this opacity at their live performances they're going ot lose me .... and everyone at the back. Maybe that's what they want.

I didn't enjoy it, Not because he wasn't brilliant - he was - but I'm not one for getting down the front, and he refused to have the screens on. And frankly, if you were halfway back you might has well have listened of your copy of The Reckoner at home and stared at a picture of him on the other side of the room.

I can't understand why he/they are so against creating a visual spectacle these day to match the music. The last 3 times I've seen them/him - Victoria Park, Latitude, Reading - have been spoiled by the inability to see them from some way back. And that's all because they refuse to use video as a means to provide close ups and info about what's going on on stage.

I've followed them since The Bends and stuck with them through all the experimentation - admired it, really - but if they keep up this opacity at their live performances they're going ot lose me .... and everyone at the back. Maybe that's what they want.

I agree with the sentiment completely... but, i saw them at Werchter in 2008 and they had the screens on... Quite abstract camera work admittedly but it was still enough that you could admire from afar. they played in rainbows pretty much in it's entirety if I recall correctly (i may have had a few)

That's what they used at Victoria Park and I didn't feel it was enough. I felt they were using the screens as art - ignoring the practical role they play in compensating those at the back for not being able to see. In fact I was so disengaged I left during the encore - something I'd rarely consider - and not for a band I'd seen on 12 previous ocasions!

I've got nothing against them using the screens as part of the performance - but the cut up monochrome images they used there precluded being able to see their faces, expressions, guitar shapes or any sense of where they were on stage.

• 12 years later...
3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

What are the chances he will play this year? He was due to headline West Holts I believe in 2020 before it was cancelled but is missing from the line up poster.  Really hoping he gets added.

Pretty low. He’s booked up with the Smile all weekend.