Weather thread 2010

Guest remote

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Countryfile gave us no indication of the 2008 rain, that RUINED the opening of my festival that year. Don't be cracking open the Bitburger yet, this could still turn.

NO RAIN. NO COMPROMISE

Edited by Haggis

jackones five day for the fest looks pretty good too.

This is almost too good to be true, with all forecasts seeming to agree on what next week is likely to look like. This is going to make the last day at work tomorrow even more difficult. I might need to turn my computer off if I want to actually get any work done. :rolleyes:

And now, having spent a lovely weekend volunteering at the Leamington Peace Festival under mostly clear skies, I would like to risk Langdale's wrath by wishing for cloud.

By working in the merchandise tent, I've been able to watch bands while having some shade -- but I'd have been pretty uncomfortable stood in that sun for more than 10 minutes at a time.

... and I want to be comfortable!

No rain though. None. That's a requirement.

This is almost too good to be true, with all forecasts seeming to agree on what next week is likely to look like. This is going to make the last day at work tomorrow even more difficult. I might need to turn my computer off if I want to actually get any work done. :rolleyes:

Exactly what I thought. I'm absolutely no expert on weather forecasting, but the Countryfile forecast did appear to leave the door wide open for at least heavy showers from Friday night onwards. That low pressure moving in could hit us or could go north west of us. The only real mention they made of the weekend was "temps possibly hitting 30", but that could well point towards hot, wet thundery weather. I think it's too early to get complacent and bask in the glory of an entirely dry weekend, but Weds-Fri certainly look very good and it's cleary not going to be a relentless misery-fest like 2007.

Yes, but... our man here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/weather/ianfergusson) tackles that fear head on when he writes:

"there's the potential for seeing some very warm, even hot conditions developing locally by Saturday and Sunday. However, this in turn, aided by the 'squeezed' forcing of sea breeze convergence, could push up some showers in certain parts of Somerset and so there's no cast-iron guarantee (is there ever?) of keeping the festival entirely rain-free."

If the risk of rain is borne out of "very warm, even hot conditions", then, surely, it's an agreeable price?

Oh absolutely. And if three days of scorching hot weather and humid conditions is broken by a refreshing, brief thunderstorm that would be lovely. Always like seeing a bit of thunder and lightning at a festival. Seems to crank up the atmosphere another notch. As long as it's BRIEF. :D

Oh absolutely. And if three days of scorching hot weather and humid conditions is broken by a refreshing, brief thunderstorm that would be lovely. Always like seeing a bit of thunder and lightning at a festival. Seems to crank up the atmosphere another notch. As long as it's BRIEF. :D

Edited by mikeb