who is most likely to headline out of these 3?

Guest jonnyisRFC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I would love to see slipknot headline! However I don't think they could on popularity. It would be awesome to see them in a tent though!

Slipknot havent increased in popularity?

What about the number 2 album that came out last year?

And they may not have had an arena tour this year, but they did one in December of last year.

Personally i dont think any should headline. But Slipknot and Kasabian are the most likely.

It was originally the plan for Corey and Jim Root to go back to Stone Sour next year. But apparently Slipknot are extending their touring for another year, and maybe working on a new album in over the winter. At Download they said "We'll be back sooner than you think" People thought that meant they'd be playing Sonisphere, but after they didn't it was revealed they'd be about next year.

It was originally the plan for Corey and Jim Root to go back to Stone Sour next year. But apparently Slipknot are extending their touring for another year, and maybe working on a new album in over the winter. At Download they said "We'll be back sooner than you think" People thought that meant they'd be playing Sonisphere, but after they didn't it was revealed they'd be about next year.

And razorlight, franz Ferdinand and travis haven't been weak over recent years?

Slipknot had just about the biggest crowd I've seen at download this yr. And seeing as that sold out to it's 80000 capacity that's surely a sign they're not exactly weak? IMO there standing has only increased since they were third down in 08 what with a number 2 album and an arena tour (which was packed in Sheffield and sold out in other bits of the uk) so should be further up a fest bill.

I think you have a point with franz ferdinand and razorlight, however cant agree with you including travis in that list. Travis have sold far more records in the uk than slipknot, kasabian and offspring. Maybe your using the fact that they have faded over recent years, but make no mistake at their peak around 1999-2002 there were very few more popular bands than travis and they were not considered weak headliners. The man who went 9 times platinum, thats huge.
Edited by thegremlin_1999

I agree, wow, they headlined download. Hardly anything to write home about given previous headliners include lostprophets, offspring and MCR. (all sub headline acts in my opinion)

Also, Slipknot are a kids band. I used to love them years ago but have out grown them. When you are 32 and watching a headline act asks the entire crowd to get down on one knee and jump the f**k up! well you have to ask serious questions about whether you are still in their demographic.

My point being. Razorlight and Frans might be average at best, but at least their music is aimed at people over the age of 17 and as middle of the road as it may be, it's aimed at the masses. Perfect Reading headline material!

I agree, wow, they headlined download. Hardly anything to write home about given previous headliners include lostprophets, offspring and MCR. (all sub headline acts in my opinion)

Also, Slipknot are a kids band. I used to love them years ago but have out grown them. When you are 32 and watching a headline act asks the entire crowd to get down on one knee and jump the f**k up! well you have to ask serious questions about whether you are still in their demographic.

My point being. Razorlight and Frans might be average at best, but at least their music is aimed at people over the age of 17 and as middle of the road as it may be, it's aimed at the masses. Perfect Reading headline material!

Edited by Lithium05

Erm no. Largest headlining crowd I've ever seen at Download, 3 nights at Hammersmith sold out instantly (not sure about the rest of the tour) Latest album reached number 4 in the charts here and their songs (usually 2 or 3 a night) are played and go down very well at the majority of the rock/metal clubs I've been to over the past 6 years, which is at least one a month.

Sure they're not universally loved, but you'd be hard pressed to find a band that are. They are every bit as deserving of recognition as Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian etc. Probably more so as they've out lived the scene they came from. It remains to be seen if the landfill indie bands are capable of this.

Edited by tomisnothere

Slipknot make music for kids. I would say there is some truth to this, they are regrettably gimmicky and 'dumb' for a band of very capable musicians, It's the kind of music young teenagers love but once you reach a certain age I would hope you grow out of it.
Edited by Lithium05

I'm not going to repeat myself, I've already responded to a similarly daft statement above. What I will say though is what exactly gives the idea that this is music for kids? Sure the themes of anger, frustration, and the genaral downtrodden feeling are synonimous with being a teenager, but I put it to you that it's not something everyone is lucky enough to "grow out of" I suppose what it boils down to is how happy you are with your lot. Different music speaks to different people, personally I find the Arctic Monkeys completely lacking in substance and can't relate to a word of their lyrics which to me seem like empty pop-culture and working class observations set to a catchy tune that people can sing when pissed, but "People=Shit", "Surfacing" and the like are much more in tune with some of my moods.

I think that's what's changed in terms of the clientele of Reading since I started going, it used to be like a haven for the downtrodden, the un-cool and the picked on, now it's catered towards their tormenters.

Edited by thomasowen