who is most likely to headline out of these 3?

Guest jonnyisRFC

Slipknot would be a good addition to the bill. There would be plenty of people who wanted to see them and they offer something different. As for headlining absolutely not. They dont sell out the type of venues or sell the amount of records to headline a festival with the reading/leeds fanbase. I dont see why they would headline but kaiser chiefs wouldnt.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's music for kids because it's basicly unrefined bashing with no artistic merit. It grates on my ears"

Have you ever really tried to listen to their music? There is such an amount of skill that goes into 8 of the nine members of the band playing together. The fact that they have a drummer and two more percusionists. Each member significantly brings something else to the music IMO. The music is intended to sound different to almost everything else out there and isn't just simply 'metal'. Its a mixture of different stlyes and ideas.

Yes at first listen they can sound quite intimidating, but instead of thinking of it as noise you have to listen to all of the parts that are being played seperatley (and yet together) to appreciate it. At first I was not a fan of slipknot, due to the intimidating sound, then after giving them a try I found them to be one of the most unique band around with there own style which stand above a lot of music out there.

From my point of view it sounds as if Thomasowen has not even given them a chance and is basing his arguments in the fact that he has listened to a couple of tracks a few times and thinks its just noise (as I first thought).

I like the Arctic Monkeys and have been a fan of thiers from day one, but almost all of there songs, (especially from the first two albums) are aimed at youth culture 16-23 ish, and are generally observations from their own lives.

Humbug however seems to be taking them in a different direction, a more darker and deeper side, a few of their lyrics are still a bit weak but the new sound that they seem to be heading towards, IMO, is taking them away from the mainstream. Which is why a lot of the reviews of the album in magazines and papers have given poor scores to the album. Personally I think it is there best yet.

This is from an impartial point of view

I went to see slipknot in december last year, at the Metro radio arena in Newcastle. The show was awesome, they didn't just do the hits and did a lot of thier older stuff. Their performance was exceptional and brilliant entertainment. The venue however was not sold out and was just over four fifths full (9,000/11,000). IMO They could easily draw a big crowd at a festival as headliners, due to fans travelling from all over. Whether they will is a different matter, the way the festival is booking recently then I doubt that they will, and the fact they were booked as third from top last time thy were scheduled to play R/L raises major doubts. Put them as tent headliners though and that would awesome IMO.

I am going to see the Arctic's at the same venue in November. This I know is a complete sell out. It remains to be seen if they do many of their back catalogue or if thier set is similar to that of R/L. After seeing the Arctic's at Leeds, I was impressed at thier sound, but their timidness on stage, IMO, was clear to see, they did not look entirely comfortable. The entertainment value, IMO, was lacking with little crowd interaction and not much enregy/enthusiasm being shown. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, they could have been a little tipsy or apprehensive. All in all though a decent show and I'm hoping for better in November. As for R/L I don't think there would be another place on the bill they could plau than Headlining, they are far too big for that.

Good post above. I would like to add how each member is important to the music too, at Download a few years back Shawn "The Clown" Crahan was absent due to a family emergency, and despite him being one of the percussionists, and in many peoples view unimportant, his absence was very noticable for the music. Particularly for the song "Duality"

But yeah I like that their sets include unreleased songs from the debut album still like "Get This" and "Prosthetics"

"It's music for kids because it's basicly unrefined bashing with no artistic merit. It grates on my ears"

Have you ever really tried to listen to their music? There is such an amount of skill that goes into 8 of the nine members of the band playing together. The fact that they have a drummer and two more percusionists. Each member significantly brings something else to the music IMO. The music is intended to sound different to almost everything else out there and isn't just simply 'metal'. Its a mixture of different stlyes and ideas.

Yes at first listen they can sound quite intimidating, but instead of thinking of it as noise you have to listen to all of the parts that are being played seperatley (and yet together) to appreciate it. At first I was not a fan of slipknot, due to the intimidating sound, then after giving them a try I found them to be one of the most unique band around with there own style which stand above a lot of music out there.

From my point of view it sounds as if Thomasowen has not even given them a chance and is basing his arguments in the fact that he has listened to a couple of tracks a few times and thinks its just noise (as I first thought).

I like the Arctic Monkeys and have been a fan of thiers from day one, but almost all of there songs, (especially from the first two albums) are aimed at youth culture 16-23 ish, and are generally observations from their own lives.

Humbug however seems to be taking them in a different direction, a more darker and deeper side, a few of their lyrics are still a bit weak but the new sound that they seem to be heading towards, IMO, is taking them away from the mainstream. Which is why a lot of the reviews of the album in magazines and papers have given poor scores to the album. Personally I think it is there best yet.

This is from an impartial point of view

I went to see slipknot in december last year, at the Metro radio arena in Newcastle. The show was awesome, they didn't just do the hits and did a lot of thier older stuff. Their performance was exceptional and brilliant entertainment. The venue however was not sold out and was just over four fifths full (9,000/11,000). IMO They could easily draw a big crowd at a festival as headliners, due to fans travelling from all over. Whether they will is a different matter, the way the festival is booking recently then I doubt that they will, and the fact they were booked as third from top last time thy were scheduled to play R/L raises major doubts. Put them as tent headliners though and that would awesome IMO.

I am going to see the Arctic's at the same venue in November. This I know is a complete sell out. It remains to be seen if they do many of their back catalogue or if thier set is similar to that of R/L. After seeing the Arctic's at Leeds, I was impressed at thier sound, but their timidness on stage, IMO, was clear to see, they did not look entirely comfortable. The entertainment value, IMO, was lacking with little crowd interaction and not much enregy/enthusiasm being shown. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, they could have been a little tipsy or apprehensive. All in all though a decent show and I'm hoping for better in November. As for R/L I don't think there would be another place on the bill they could plau than Headlining, they are far too big for that.

4) The "Jump the f*ck up" bit isn't mandatory you know, it's just a bit of fun you joyless bastard, you say you "grew out" of listening to Slipknot, well I would suggest that makes you a pretentious c*nt who is infact more immature than the music and the fans you're condemning. If you mean your musical tastes have changes then say that, but don't say you've "grown out" of it because it makes you sound like a matter of fact know it all c*nt.