Does anyone else think...

Guest BlackHole2006

That Led Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones would be a really bad choice for a headliner?

I obviously respect their legendary status in music, and how much they have contributed but I just don't think they are well suited for Glasto in other words TOO big. Fair enough a festival like Isle of Wight can have them but that's only got 1 stage and a big top where as Glasto has over 50 stages. It's not usual for me to complain seeing as the headliners havn't even been announced yet and this is only speculation, but I think that if they book Led Zep, The Stones or U2 as a matter of fact there will be people going only to just see them or to say "I was at Glasto when Led Zep/ Stones/ U2 headlined" and I fear that the atmosphere of the people who are going to Glasto because it's Glasto will be gone a teeny bit. Obviously this won't effect my enjoyment of the event at all but the ticket sales will sell out within an hour to people who are only going to see one legendary act, I'm not saying they don't deserve their ticket but I'm just saying that they might just treat it like a gig not like one of the best performing arts festivals in europe.

What is your opinion on this?

Cheers,

BlackHole2006

Id much prefer it if they didn't make any announcements til you got there - and maybe not even then for the laugh! Just turn up at a random stage and guess what you're gonna see. Then put bands in odd places - Lancashire Hotpots on The Pyramid, Blur in Avalon etc

It's an interesting theory, and i definitely think it's got some legs.

There were enormous crowds at the Pyramid this year due to the strong line-up which sometimes led to much smaller audiences at places like Jazz World. I think that's partly due to the relative weakness of Jazz compared to previous years, but it's perfectly understandable.

On the other hand there are plenty of people who would gladly steer well clear of U2 (myself included). The Stones and Led Zep would be another story altogether - i'd be with the masses for that!

I really think concessions would need to be made if massive headliners like that did play in order to ensure crowd safety - the 'changeover' of people before headliners at the Pyramid can get really hairy at times - the Winehouse/Jay Z crossover last year being a good example.

As proven by this year...Glasto attracts anyone and everyone but it would seem a lot of people who are enticed by the tv coverage want to go these days...who headlines makes no difference...Eavis (hopefully...and it would seem has been pretty good at this), drops hints but never makes solid announcements so this worry that the Stones/Zep will play should be unfounded.

It would be super cool if either did finally make it to the fest and regardless what demographic manages to get tix this year, the Pyramid would be utterly heaving if such legends got to perform.

BH...dont be worried by this...a. its only July, b. these sorts of silly rumours have been flying around since Emily was in nappies c. ok so maybe some true hardheaded Zep fans may get tix on the off chance but the track record for these rumours has barely ever come trumps and as I said earlier and how you phrase it...the snobby yet we know what we are getting at thoughts about 'deserving' folk being at the festy will always exist...especially after seeing the deomgraphic shift in audiences this year...and also, if the Zep dont commit by April, then the offchance tix may go back into the pot anyway?

The best bet and this will be repeated over and over again by many (and it is a decision that has been made by many because of their experiences this year) until June 2010, stick to the edges when you are at the fest if you dont like it...Babylon is where they all go...so dont go where they go?

And finally...its music, surely there's gonna be gig vibes at some point...just cos its being played in a field, why does that make it bad if suddenly you start feeling as if you should have a roof over your head? Confuzzled by some of the sentiments here.

The problem would be crowd size. They would have to put some huge acts on elsewhere and have a little more continuity in the stage to stage lineup to stop the mass migrations of this year. If they are rumored then expect their fans to buy tickets in droves. Expect camping chairs, picnic hampers and parasols parked in front of the Pyramid all weekend long, mad crushes and raised tempers. A bit like an outdoor opera crowd but with high quality pot.

I've seen The Stones, thought they were great but am not fussed for more. Zep would be great but I can live without having seen them.

I think they should think outside the box next year.

The problem would be crowd size. They would have to put some huge acts on elsewhere and have a little more continuity in the stage to stage lineup to stop the mass migrations of this year. If they are rumored then expect their fans to buy tickets in droves. Expect camping chairs, picnic hampers and parasols parked in front of the Pyramid all weekend long, mad crushes and raised tempers. A bit like an outdoor opera crowd but with high quality pot.

I've seen The Stones, thought they were great but am not fussed for more. Zep would be great but I can live without having seen them.

I think they should think outside the box next year.

I don't think there's such a thing as being too big for Glasto. The headliners this year were all pretty huge, obviously not as big as Led Zep or the Stones but the proof was in the pudding when you saw the size of the crowds that Springsteen and Blur pulled in.

Easy solution to this, put them both on at the same time. Give the Stones the other stage and Zep the Pyramid, to reward the stones for all the commitment they've shown the festival over the years.

even more importantly Robert Plant is a Wolves fan

I really impressed a New Zealand girl on a beach once by telling her that I often saw him going to matches with his son - she was travelling the world with her book on the Zep

Nah you would be being dragged to the Stones by me :P .

I would be quite annoyed though that it was at the other stage lol. I'd love to see both bands at Glasto but I could live if they never played. Don't think it would have a massive impact on ticket sales initially providing they announced it after the tickets were already onsale.

This is a continual issue for Glasto. Do they have massive bands on so that loads of people are just going to buy a ticket to see them or smaller bands to spread the people around. If the massive bands aren't on does that mean that we get the same situation as in 2008 where the festival doesn't sell out beforehand.

I would come to Glasto if the Wurzels or Peter Andre were headlining but I don't think as many people would turn up (by the way I hope Peter Andre doesn't play)

I think it is good policy to not announce the bands before tickets are on sale so festigoers come for the festival and not just their favourite band

Would be the Stones for me.

But hell...I am just waiting for the announcement for DOLLY!!!

Edited by LusciousLucy

Just to say, I saw The Stones at Isle of Wight a couple of years ago and they put on a fantastic show. Not a fan really but you have to see them if they are on.

Very different set up there as has been said, one big stage and not much else, would they be too big for the pyramid stage though? Don't know. The crush at IOW when they were on was very unpleasant and after was horrific, worst I have ever seen.

But if The Stones people told ME that they were interested would he turn them down? again, don't know my self. Difficult to say no.