Keep Glastonbury Weird

Guest David of the North

I have launched a Facebook Group under the heading "Keep Glastonbury Weird"

Why? Well, I was in Shangri-La and noticed that they'd spent a fortune trying to create a sense of atmosphere but the effect was completely lost due to the fact that the place was filled with people in Timberland tops and Adidas caps.

So...

Don't be a normaloid! FB members - please search for this group and join in the fun!

Non FB members - This is the place to register your interest!

From the FB group:

Glastonbury Festival is big. Proper big. It makes Wembley stadium look like a bowling green. And it also invests thousands of pounds creating atmospheric, themed places such as Trash City and Shangri-La. Trouble is that for every person “in character”, there are about a hundred onlookers dressed for the local market.

There are just too far many normaloids and it kind of spoils the atmosphere.

I’m not suggesting that we turn Glastonbury festival into a gigantic Live Action Role Play. But where are the “characters”? Apart from some official weirdness at the cabaret area, there was very little to look at other than Hunter wellies and Timberland tops.

So, since 2010 will be the big 40th Anniversary Special, I thought it might be worth while seeing if we could encourage a few more people to Keep Glastonbury festival Weird by making some sort of outfit / costume for Saturday and /or Sunday.

Please sign up and start supporting the effort. We’re looking for true originality rather than three dozen Smurfs. (although that would have its own appeal, I suppose!)

Even if this isn’t your scene, please pass this group on to anyone who you know that might attend.

Funny but I met plenty of 'zany' looking characters who were dull as ditch! And quite a few 'Normaloids' who were off their tits all weekend.

Sonny, as my dear old Mum used to say to me - 'grandadcollective never, NEVER judge a book by its cover!'

On second thoughts, if I'm lucky enough to get a ticket for next year maybe I'll wear a dayglo pink catsuit

with 'look at me I'm different' stitched on it in green sequins just so nobody misses how weird I think I am.

I have launched a Facebook Group under the heading "Keep Glastonbury Weird"

Why? Well, I was in Shangri-La and noticed that they'd spent a fortune trying to create a sense of atmosphere but the effect was completely lost due to the fact that the place was filled with people in Timberland tops and Adidas caps.

So...

Don't be a normaloid! FB members - please search for this group and join in the fun!

Non FB members - This is the place to register your interest!

From the FB group:

Glastonbury Festival is big. Proper big. It makes Wembley stadium look like a bowling green. And it also invests thousands of pounds creating atmospheric, themed places such as Trash City and Shangri-La. Trouble is that for every person “in character”, there are about a hundred onlookers dressed for the local market.

There are just too far many normaloids and it kind of spoils the atmosphere.

I’m not suggesting that we turn Glastonbury festival into a gigantic Live Action Role Play. But where are the “characters”? Apart from some official weirdness at the cabaret area, there was very little to look at other than Hunter wellies and Timberland tops.

So, since 2010 will be the big 40th Anniversary Special, I thought it might be worth while seeing if we could encourage a few more people to Keep Glastonbury festival Weird by making some sort of outfit / costume for Saturday and /or Sunday.

Please sign up and start supporting the effort. We’re looking for true originality rather than three dozen Smurfs. (although that would have its own appeal, I suppose!)

Even if this isn’t your scene, please pass this group on to anyone who you know that might attend.

Oooh - such cynicism people! Is it necessary?

For my part I always think I would like to make more of an effort and be in fancy dress or something but I know that it would spoil it for me.

I would feel conspicuous and uncomfortable which isn't the point for me. I go to Glastonbury to be totally me and that doesn't involve dressing up - sorry! It involves wearing some favourite clothes that I don't get much chance to wear the rest of the year! I don't want some idiot to laugh at me for wearing fairy wings at 45 - even if they are the one that's in the wrong, they will have made their problem my problem and i can do without it while I just want to kick back & have a good time.

I like that other people do it though - which is a complete cop out!

Total hypocrite & coward - but that is the real me!

It started with the original and best 'Anti-taping around tents'.

The a small breakaway faction started the 'anti guy ropes' campaign.

Recently we've had a new 'anti-chairs' strand.

Then of course up rose the 'anti-flags'.

And now we have 'anti-practical clothing'.

What next, oh lord? What next?

Edited by Buddhafish

It started with the original and best 'Anti-taping around tents'.

The a small breakaway faction started the 'anti guy ropes' campaign.

Recently we've had a new 'anti-chairs' strand.

Then of course up rose the 'anti-flags'.

And now we have 'anti-practical clothing'.

What next, oh lord? What next?

I have pink felt hair which makes people stare - and people at Glastonbury smile... but I wear fleeces and practical trousers... am I normal or weird?

Oooh - such cynicism people! Is it necessary?

For my part I always think I would like to make more of an effort and be in fancy dress or something but I know that it would spoil it for me.

I would feel conspicuous and uncomfortable which isn't the point for me. I go to Glastonbury to be totally me and that doesn't involve dressing up - sorry! It involves wearing some favourite clothes that I don't get much chance to wear the rest of the year! I don't want some idiot to laugh at me for wearing fairy wings at 45 - even if they are the one that's in the wrong, they will have made their problem my problem and i can do without it while I just want to kick back & have a good time.

I like that other people do it though - which is a complete cop out!

Total hypocrite & coward - but that is the real me!

+1 that's exactly what I was about to type.

I love people watching and Glastonbury is definitely the best place in the world to do that. I loved all the pretty costumes and wacky makeup but people shouldn't feel pressurized into dressing up if they don't feel comfortable doing so. And anyway, you need us normal adidas clad folk to counterbalnce the wackiness factor.