this festival is awful

Guest Jackmypie

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading wins the NME awards all the time because NME is a major sponsor.

.... except when NME wants to try and suck up to Glastonbury to try and get back in there (which happened with last year's awards or the year befores - the day that issue came out a call was made to Glastonbury with a proposition, which NME clearly believed would get them back into favour).

NME have never got over being booted out in the mid-nineties.

..... of the 206 acts that are playing Reading 2009, sixty eight of those acts also played at Glastonbury this year.

Sixty eight bands are more than double what it's possible to see at Reading in three days (if you see the full sets), and probably more than it's possible to see at Glastonbury in the four days those acts played over there.

So it's possible to have more than the full band experience that can be got at Reading at Glastonbury instead - but in a MUCH better setting and at a far cheaper price.

i have never been to glastonbury but from what i gather you can't intensively watch bands like you can at R&L because it is so big.

That applies only if you're continually watching bands on different stages. The simple fact is, most people stay around a particular stage most of the time, because that stage has the acts they want to see on it. Each stage is, to a large extent, themed around a particular genre/style.

But the great thing is you are moving about is that you get to stumble on stuff you wouldn't otherwise see. Who wants to spend all day watching all the same bands as they could watch at any other fest? Not me.

For most of the people who go to Reading, they'd only really be interested in the Other and John Peel stages, and perhaps a little on the Pyramid and The Park. It takes around 5 to 10 minutes to get from Other to JP (so actually little different to the time from main to r1 tent at Reading, cos there crowds there are harder to get thru), and it's also about 5 to 10 minutes from both of Other and JP to Pyramid. The Park is more out on a limb, but still only 5 to ten minutes from Other Stage.

And alongside that is the fact that the stages are open for far longer each day - typically from 10:30 until 00:30 each day (midnight on Sundays).

And there's more ..... cos although the major stages have to abide by that curfew, there's loads of properly great stuff (rather than the filler you get elsewhere) going on till 6am each day. Much of it has to be seen to be believed!

I know what I read fan boy.

When the editor of Planet Sound who I've been chatting with nearly every day for many years tells me they had no such story, and you - who've already posted lots of very wrong crap about Glastonbury - say different, who am I gonna believe? ;);)

This is what I mean, this is point I chose not to make as I said in the post as it's bullshit but your feel need to protect your vision Glastonbury.

It's not bullshit you silly little boy. :lol:

The last two times that NME have given Glasto their best fest award, they've made approaches to glastonbury very shortly afterwards about how it would be great if nme could be involved in Glastonbury again. These are the facts.

T in the Park also won the nme best fest award a few years back. There's a similar scenario gone on there too.

Outside of using that award or trying to use that award for nme's commercial advantage, it gets given to Reading because nme need to keep in with them too.

If you think the award is given to the festival they think is the best you're very badly wrong

You misread read the post fanboy like how you misread most stuff not that complete 100% Glastonbury is best ever posts, I said I could of made that point but chose to only highlight that I could of as what's the point as it's bullshit.

The same way as you bang on about with the blah, blah x amount of reading bands you could see at Glastonbury hence why it's better. Note I have not said or thought which is better as there's no such thing.

the fanboy is the one slagging off something they've not been to and slagging it off with bollox. That's you that is. ;)

I was going to Reading before your mum had even thought about laying down for the whole pub for you to come about. I've done more Readings than you've done years at school. I've done more Glastonbury's than you've had years alive.

The music is one thing, everything else aside from the music is something else. On that basis - and one that's agreed with by just about every person that's posted in this thread (I realise there's one or two exceptions, and they're entitled to their informed opinions) that's been to both - Glastonbury wins hands down.

I can live with you liking Reading more - if it's your bag musically then nothing else will do. What I won't let pass by without comment is all of the other total idiot bollox you've come out with.

Get over yourself, pleaaaase. ;)

Sorry, they weren't giving away tickets they were selling them for £2 or whatever on the door. I talk to people with experience regardless of the point of view rather than argue with people who have a different view or be as naive/pig headed as to declare what is the best festival like some. I talked to people didn't go to Glastonbury because of Jay Z because it isn't what they expect of Glastonbury but went this year.

I btw went to Wireless to see Jay Z and laughed at the the moaning about it. But Jay Z and the other headliners were the cause of the slow sells given that the 1st thing the organizers did after the festival was too assure people it'll be back to normal. And for all you talk of Glastonbury being more than a gig in a field why then did the trouble happen when the headliners were weak, as ultimately festivals are decided on what the big bands are and not the poetry readings, funfairs or other fun activities.

But the ego involved with both Glastonbury and Reading do my head, like this thread it can't be about what bands you like play it has too be more, like how you got the Eavis banging on about what they are doing to make it the best festival ever all the time or you bangin on about how Reading isn't a festival just a giga s it conflicts with your opinion of Glastonbury.

This came up as I said they should get Metallica but wouldn't because of this and not they should get a rapper every year Megabowl.

.... except when NME wants to try and suck up to Glastonbury to try and get back in there (which happened with last year's awards or the year befores - the day that issue came out a call was made to Glastonbury with a proposition, which NME clearly believed would get them back into favour).

NME have never got over being booted out in the mid-nineties.

the fanboy is the one slagging off something they've not been to and slagging it off with bollox. That's you that is. ;)

I was going to Reading before your mum had even thought about laying down for the whole pub for you to come about. I've done more Readings than you've done years at school. I've done more Glastonbury's than you've had years alive.

The music is one thing, everything else aside from the music is something else. On that basis - and one that's agreed with by just about every person that's posted in this thread (I realise there's one or two exceptions, and they're entitled to their informed opinions) that's been to both - Glastonbury wins hands down.

I can live with you liking Reading more - if it's your bag musically then nothing else will do. What I won't let pass by without comment is all of the other total idiot bollox you've come out with.

Get over yourself, pleaaaase. ;)

the fanboy is the one slagging off something they've not been to and slagging it off with bollox. That's you that is. :huh:

Get over yourself, pleaaaase. :(

the fanboy is the one slagging off something they've not been to and slagging it off with bollox. That's you that is. :)

Get over yourself, pleaaaase. :P

That applies only if you're continually watching bands on different stages. The simple fact is, most people stay around a particular stage most of the time, because that stage has the acts they want to see on it. Each stage is, to a large extent, themed around a particular genre/style.

But the great thing is you are moving about is that you get to stumble on stuff you wouldn't otherwise see. Who wants to spend all day watching all the same bands as they could watch at any other fest? Not me.

For most of the people who go to Reading, they'd only really be interested in the Other and John Peel stages, and perhaps a little on the Pyramid and The Park. It takes around 5 to 10 minutes to get from Other to JP (so actually little different to the time from main to r1 tent at Reading, cos there crowds there are harder to get thru), and it's also about 5 to 10 minutes from both of Other and JP to Pyramid. The Park is more out on a limb, but still only 5 to ten minutes from Other Stage.

And alongside that is the fact that the stages are open for far longer each day - typically from 10:30 until 00:30 each day (midnight on Sundays).

And there's more ..... cos although the major stages have to abide by that curfew, there's loads of properly great stuff (rather than the filler you get elsewhere) going on till 6am each day. Much of it has to be seen to be believed!

• 2 weeks later...
WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME OF YOU PEOPLE!

the carnage and destruction is what makes reading so f**king amazing!

obviously in controlled doses. angry mob and toilet destruction is too far. but trolley jousting and "bollocks" your not gunna get that at glasto. at glasto youll sooner see a 43 year old mother of 4 dancing in the mud wearing rags to florence and the machine.