The line up

Guest benissright

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that headliners are "exclusive" is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with wether people like them or not. Would you rather say the courteeners were headlining leeds and it was "exclusive", or RATM decided to come back or muse did, but oh no, they are playing another festival!

I think i know where my vote would go. . . . . .

Nevertheless, the quality of the line up is all based on opinion, IMO, headliners are a bit of a let down, but the rest aint half bad.

Considering the competition of Sonisphere this year it was always likely their would be slightly less metal/emo/punk/whatever at this years event, and the acts of that genre they have secured are pretty big names (Deftones, Fall Out Boy, Faith No More, Placebo, Lost prophets, Fun loving criminals, Rancid (if those rumours are to be believed.) ) With ten more main stage acts to be anounced, plus 2/3rds of the NME stage and Lock up I doubt you will think it is unbalanced in the end.
Edited by beLIEveR

I strongly object to the implication that some of those bring any sort of balance to the lineup.

My point is that I know the NME is there for a certain crowd. I know the Lockup is aimed at a somewhat different bunch. So in that sense yes, of course it will. But at the end of the day I expect a few big bands. Not to the extent of last year, not necessarily two out of three headliners and two out of three second headliners, but the main stage is unquestionably unbalanced as is, even accounting for Faith No More and Deftones.

The fact I'm excited about Radiohead and can tolerate and appreciate what's good about the others doesn't change my view about the balance.

EDIT:

For clarity to people who haven't read the whole thread I'd just like to add I agree with thomasowen's last point. While I think too many of the acts are too similar, I'm not suggesting for a second that they're not worthy of their places (Bloc Party aside), simply that as things stand it's a bland combination.

Edited by thomasowen

But surely this year IS more balanced in the sense that the heavy acts are spread out over 3 days and 3 stages rather than the sunday and lock up. I mean If it was aranged Like this...

Radiohead

Faith No More

Lost Prophets

Placebo

Fall out boy

Deftones

Funeral for a Friend

Brand New

Enter Shakiri

...then would you be complaining as much? As I say there are 10 more main stage acts to be anounced, maybe that will change your mind.

BTW compare that to last years Sunday

Metallica

Tenacious D

sLIPKNOT

Feeder

Ax7

Dropkick Murpheys

Plain White T's

I know which I would rather have

Not been on for ages. Seeing as its out in the public domain now. - for what its worth I was referring to Faith No More which bearing in mind their headlining a second stage when they're headline main stage at another festival does I think embarasses the other festival.

Quite the contrary - Download has far more depth in it's lineup than Reading. Consider the bands playing below the headliners...

Korn vs Kaiser Chiefs

Limp Bizkit vs Placebo

Killswitch Engage vs Fall Out Boy

Motley Crue vs Faith No More

Marilyn Manson vs Prodigy

Pendulum vs Maximo Park

Prodigy vs Gossip....this one makes me laugh

Whitesnake vs Bloc Party

ZZ Top vs Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Trivium vs Lostprophets

You think Gossip V Prodigy is bad? Sorry to point out the obvious but how about Limp Bizkit v Placebo or ZZ Top v YYY? The Download lineup really doesn't have as much depth as Reading and Leeds

I understand what you're saying but there are another ten main stage acts to be anounced as well as a lot more NME acts. I was merely demonstrating that compared to 08 this years rock acts have been distributed across the stages and days a lot more.

Hmm, Placebo vs Limp Bizkit is a close one for me. Placebo are clearly the better band but Limp Bizkit haven't played for years whereas Placebo are back every other year. Similar situation with ZZ Top, never known them to play a festival before so are are more appealing than YYY's (I like both). There are just more "interesting" bands at Download this year, as opposed to Reading's formula of booking the same bands year in, year out.

I don't know how we got onto the subject of nu-metal/Limp Bizkit but would just like to say that I agree that they are one of the worst bands in history (I'm sure some clever-dick will find a truly awful clip of some losers in nowheresville) but I truly don't understand how or why they got so famous and sold so many records. Of course I don't like every band/genre of music, but can at least appreciate where most other bands/their fans are coming from. Limp Bizkit are just awful in every respect.

The subject matter is awful, the guitars are horrible, the vocals hideous and Freddy D? The biggest twat in the history of music? He did it all for the nookie. Kinda says it all, really....

Honestly, I know a lot of people will think this is stupid, but I'm not generally a 'heavy' music fan, though like Faith No More etc. and a group of my friends are going to Download this year, and although the majority of the line-up does nothing for me I like a few of the bigger bands on the bill but partly didn't go because of the money (already going Reading and Glasto), partly 'cos it's on my birthday weekend and I'd have to change my plans when I don't particularly want to, partly because there aren't that many bands I want to see, but a large part of it was that I couldn't stand the thought of Limp Bizkit and Fred f**king Durst getting one penny from me. Sounds stupid but it's true. I don't want to attend a festival they're on the bill of (yeah, you obviously don't have to watch everyone), but this is a new level of hatred.

I don't know how we got onto the subject of nu-metal/Limp Bizkit but would just like to say that I agree that they are one of the worst bands in history (I'm sure some clever-dick will find a truly awful clip of some losers in nowheresville) but I truly don't understand how or why they got so famous and sold so many records. Of course I don't like every band/genre of music, but can at least appreciate where most other bands/their fans are coming from. Limp Bizkit are just awful in every respect.

The subject matter is awful, the guitars are horrible, the vocals hideous and Freddy D? The biggest twat in the history of music? He did it all for the nookie. Kinda says it all, really....

Honestly, I know a lot of people will think this is stupid, but I'm not generally a 'heavy' music fan, though like Faith No More etc. and a group of my friends are going to Download this year, and although the majority of the line-up does nothing for me I like a few of the bigger bands on the bill but partly didn't go because of the money (already going Reading and Glasto), partly 'cos it's on my birthday weekend and I'd have to change my plans when I don't particularly want to, partly because there aren't that many bands I want to see, but a large part of it was that I couldn't stand the thought of Limp Bizkit and Fred f**king Durst getting one penny from me. Sounds stupid but it's true. I don't want to attend a festival they're on the bill of (yeah, you obviously don't have to watch everyone), but this is a new level of hatred.

To me Limp Bizkit are the worst band in the history of music, honestly no better than S club 7 or Westlife as this appalling video demonstrates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBW2GDFSKho

My personal dislike of nu metal goes way back and I wont get into reasons why here. I find the fact that Download is putting on so many terrible Nu Metal bands is nothing to write home about. Despite this I still think Download has put on a good lineup this year, I personaly prefer Leeds lineup.