new Springsteen 'rumour'

Guest tevaburger

I'm finding it hard to disagree with strokes4glasto (and i'm 43).

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiohead, The Strokes, The Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Biffy Clyro, Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay just to name a few would be more appropriate...

Bruce has this whole "working class American struggling to get by with his trusty steed of a fender by his side" image going on, which just doesn't fit with the vibe of Glasto. His commercial and overly accessible rock doesn't speak to me or any of my friends; I'd imagine he doesnt really speak to the tens of thousands of 16-21 year olds that go to Glastonbury to find inspiration and artists that they can relate to.

If someone told me just after g2008 that next year would be friday-neil young saturday-bruce springsteen and sunday-blur I'd think it was a sick joke.

Oh, and "BOOOOOORN IN THE YOOO ESS AAA!" as a glasto anthem? really?

Radiohead, The Strokes, The Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Biffy Clyro, Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay just to name a few would be more appropriate...

Bruce has this whole "working class American struggling to get by with his trusty steed of a fender by his side" image going on, which just doesn't fit with the vibe of Glasto. His commercial and overly accessible rock doesn't speak to me or any of my friends; I'd imagine he doesnt really speak to the tens of thousands of 16-21 year olds that go to Glastonbury to find inspiration and artists that they can relate to.

If someone told me just after g2008 that next year would be friday-neil young saturday-bruce springsteen and sunday-blur I'd think it was a sick joke.

strokes4glasto...all the bands you have mentioned have played before, and will play again. USA is hardly ever played, might get played as it's his most well known song. Commercial??? How many artists, after a huge selling album like USA would do a quiet, introverted album and deflate the hype?

Oh, and the strokes over bruce? I want what you're smoking.

so you've reeled off bands that have either a) played recently, B) don't have current material or a tour to plug, or c) just don't cut the mustard. my point proved.

monkey's and coldplay have headlined relatively recently (see a). albert, fab, nicolai and julian of the strokes are all off doing individual projects (one of which has been hinted as appearing) (see B). biffy headlining. not yet (if at all) (see c). and kaisers and franz will be there somewhere.

it's a real scoop over that of any uk festival will probably have this year. this is a 'had to be there' gig in my eyes. people will talk of bruce at glastonbury when e street dimises or he retires from touring. he's on the pulse. yes, it's cheesy in parts but i think you're entirely overseeing the relevance of the man. not to mention youngs' work too like 'living with war' and 'are you passionate?' (which, respectively, is something you clearly are not).

Edited by paddyconnally

I cannot wait to see Bruce!!! His work is fantastic, and i am looking forward to the new album. Someone said some of his music is cheesy...........come on we all love a bit of cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But seriously his music is fantastic, and id love him to play Born in the U.S.A.

So, with most of the Hype around Bruce, what does it men for Neil Young? Many people have been begging/pleading for years that ME will get him to play Glasto, and now he SEEMS to have no one seems interested! Wonder why?

Personally i cannot wait for Bruce and Neil Young, will miss Blur though!!!

I think the headliners this year are great and piss over Jay Z, Kings of leon and verve from a great height.

Neil Young is not boring live: he is intense and emotional. And Bruce Springsteen is awesome as well.

Young bands play earlier in the day for 45 minutes to an hour. If they only have 1/2 albums, thats for the best i think. Leave the headline slots for bands with the material.

It seems to me that the main detractors of Springsteen are the ones who have absolutely no idea what he is about. Either go and try him, and I think he will probably change your perceptions. Or, don't try and go somewhere else. But moaning about Born in the USA or his image is pointless, as well as misinformed.

Just watched Springsteen do The Rising at the Obama concert - really moving! Hope he starts with it at Glasto. I can guarentee I will be blubbing. Will be another magical Glasto moment like Elbow "one day like this" last year, Radiohead "Lucky" in 2003 or Love (god bless Arthur Lee) "Alone Again Or" in 2003.

Come on up for The Rising!

can we assume you're being ironic/sarcastic about American Land (They died building the railroads, worked to bones and skin, They died in the fields and factories, names scattered in the wind, They died to get here a hundred years ago, they're dyin' now, The hands that built the country we're all trying to keep down) and Born In The USA (surely it doesn't still need to be spelt out..) are nice and patriotic???
Edited by micawber

It seems to me that the main detractors of Springsteen are the ones who have absolutely no idea what he is about. Either go and try him, and I think he will probably change your perceptions. Or, don't try and go somewhere else. But moaning about Born in the USA or his image is pointless, as well as misinformed.