Bestival 2009

Guest SharonStoned

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rizla Invisible Players tour is back on the road for its third year with an even bigger party planned. The tour has gone from strength to strength picking up fans, accolades and many memorable moments along the way and 2009 promises to continue in the same vein with new line-up, arena and party locations.

The headline party hosts, The Invisible Players, feature a new look line-up of creative icons: Jazzie B, Jon Carter, Micachu, Gruff Rhys and David Shrigley.

Each with a watertight reputation for creativity and expression through music, the 2009 collective promises to take the Rizla tour to a whole new level.

The background on the Invisible Players of 2009…

Jazzie B - The original Funky Dread and founder of the Soul II Soul empire and philosophy. Jazzie is the proud owner of an OBE, and boasts a massive following for his unique blend of soul, funk and grooves. He promises to draw massive attention with his sets from the Rizla van.

Jon Carter - The international DJ and producer, who saw in the dawn of the acid house revolution, will no doubt tear up the dancefloor with his legendary sets.

Micachu - The much-touted songwriter, DJ and front woman of Micachu and The Shapes, who's 'Jewellery' album is already one of the best of 2009.

Gruff Rhys - Welsh songwriter and musician, best known for the mighty Super Furry Animals. He is also renowned for his solo projects such as the Mercury award-nominated Neon Neon.

David Shrigley - A creative legend and internet sensation, who's endearingly twisted work encompasses drawing, sculpture, photography, animation and music.

Following a storming second year, including a soundtrack from the likes of Annie Nightingale, Justin Robertson, Graeme Park and Derrick Carter, the 2009 tour features four festivals, five club dates and a load of surprises thrown in for good measure.

Playing from a unique musical van, a recreation of the original Rizla touring van of the 1920’s, The Invisible Players will play spontaneous and inspiring sets from a diverse record collection. There are no prepared set lists, just pure improvisation and the creation of a unique vibe in the Rizla Arena. The sound could vary from Dub, Electro, Dancehall, Funk, Hip Hop, Breakbeat to Northern Soul and Acid House – the roots of popular music as we know it.

Jazzie B is looking forward to getting started: “The van looks really cool and it’s a great project incorporating the authentic spirit from the 1920’s. I’m looking forward to the different sounds, vibes and energy created by the Invisible Players.”

David Shrigley is equally positive: “The tour is going to be a lot of fun, I’m excited about sticking my choice of records on, getting amongst the neon and palm trees and hopefully hosting a jumping party.”

Jon Carter had this to say, “I can’t wait to kick off the first club night in Bristol on 29th May. I’m really looking forward to Bestival as well, which, in my 15 years of experience is still one of the craziest parties. The tour has a nice mix of festivals and a great mix of creatives in this year’s Invisible Players. I’m looking forward to hearing what everyone plays and the vibe we can create.”

The 2009 tour kicks off with two Rizla Invisible Players club nights in Bristol (Start The Bus, Friday 29th May) and Manchester (The Deaf Institute, Saturday 6th June) before heading up to Rockness for the first festival on the 12-14th June. Lovebox (18-19th July), The Big Chill (7-9th August) and Bestival (11-13th September) complete the festivals. Three more club nights are planned for September to November with a big closing party already being planned. Details to be announced later in the year.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna be aboard the Bestival bus !

Well excited atm, it was a throw up between this one and sonisphere but really the choice was pretty easy (Even though i'd see nearly 30 acts at Soni). What a fantastic way to end my summer, most looking forward to hearing the Dawaele brothers rip up Phantom II for the third time this year.

I'm gonna be aboard the Bestival bus !

Well excited atm, it was a throw up between this one and sonisphere but really the choice was pretty easy (Even though i'd see nearly 30 acts at Soni). What a fantastic way to end my summer, most looking forward to hearing the Dawaele brothers rip up Phantom II for the third time this year.

Mika is set to showcase some brand new material alongside a host of sing—a-long hits in his only full live band performance of the UK Festival season at this year's Bestival.

Mika's live set is sure to be a glittering technicolour feast. Also confirmed for the bill are Gaz Coombes and Danny Goffey best known as one half Supergrass, who bring their new side project, The Hot Rats who perform their own 'Pin Ups' style versions of their favourite classic songs with songs from Pink Floyd, Roxy Music and the Beastie Boys expected in their set.

Joining the Bestival mayhem will also be Benga, Benji B, Bobby Friction, The Loose Cannons, Grum, Hudson Mohawke, Lemonade, Ohbijou, Ross Allen, the Isle of Wight's own The Shanklin Freak Show, Skibunny, Stardeath and White Dwarves, Sunny Day Sets Fire, and The Acorn.

Bestival organiser Rob da Bank said, "With Bestival very close to selling out for yet another year on the trot, I thought we'd better leak out some more ace acts to keep us going ‘til September! Mika played his first ever live gig at Bestival two years ago and he's chosen Besti for his only fully live UK show of the year - the boy loves getting dressed up and putting on a show so expect the unexpected. On the other side of the spectrum I'm well pleased that Hot Rats are coming to Bestival for a rare live show – I'm a massive Supergrass fan and with Gaz and Danny from the band being joined by Radiohead uber producer and Bestival fan Nigel Godrich it's my kinda thing. See you in September!"

Edited by Paul ™