Any runners here?

TheGayTent

I'm running the London marathon again next year too. I did it in 2007 and it was my first event of any form (ran for a reason etc). I did it in 5.27 which I know is pretty rubbish to runners but I was just pleased to finish, that was my only goal! I am looking to do it in under 5 this time around though. Did my first training run today, only a few miles, but gotta start somewhere!!!

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I'm doing my first half marathon next March.

Which one you thinking of doing?

That's quite tempting! Although I've only done a 5k ever, and haven't done any running properly since June! But March is a long way away, right...? :angry:

And well done! We must live rather close indeed :P

March is a long way off - if you start training now you could run a marathon by March - a half will be easy :O

Nah, i'm gonna do a little 10k tomorrow night.

Lucky you - I got a fleece and a rejection magazine :angry:

Good luck with the training - you following a plan?

Oh I did too - but all 3 other people I know well who applied got in (grr) and such was my jealousy that I went down the charity place route, even though i swore blind that I wouldn't.

Training plan pre-xmas goes: RUN. Er, that is about it. Minimum 3 x per week, 1 short, 1 long (or getting longer - my longest is only 5 miles at the moment), 1 tempo. Get up to 10 miles by xmas hopefully.

Post xmas (or maybe post NY) I'll follow a proper 16-week programme.

Biggest problem I have at the moment is the fact that I cycle so much - I commute a 20-mile round trip to work most days and I don't want to stop - but fitting in 2 rest days around all the running AND this is proving pretty tricky.

Come January, I am going to be knackered!

Oh I did too - but all 3 other people I know well who applied got in (grr) and such was my jealousy that I went down the charity place route, even though i swore blind that I wouldn't.

Aye, my mate got in and he did it this year too (some people have all the luck). I have considered the charity route, but don't want the pressure of having to raise £1500-£2000.

Training plan pre-xmas goes: RUN. Er, that is about it. Minimum 3 x per week, 1 short, 1 long (or getting longer - my longest is only 5 miles at the moment), 1 tempo. Get up to 10 miles by xmas hopefully.

Post xmas (or maybe post NY) I'll follow a proper 16-week programme.

Biggest problem I have at the moment is the fact that I cycle so much - I commute a 20-mile round trip to work most days and I don't want to stop - but fitting in 2 rest days around all the running AND this is proving pretty tricky.

Come January, I am going to be knackered!

Your training til xmas sounds good - i really struggle to motivate to get out three times a week, let alone more! I injured my foot somehow doing the Maidstone half on Sunday and am not looking forward to my next run (tomorrow night). If only there were 10k races locally 3 times a week - find it so much easier running in a group. Clubs locally aren't that great because they all seem too fast for me!

its not really though is it. what with running shoes and clothes. and an ipod to remove the boredom.

Running doesn't require clothes. You just end up buying special airated t-shirts to blend in with all the other idiots. Agree on the footwear aspect. However, unless your Paula Radcliffe, £50 a year for a pair of decent running trainers is hardly expensive compared to many hobbies.

Never felt the need to run with an ipod. Maybe i'm just lucky to live where I live, but the scenery is enough to keep me from boredom.

Running doesn't require clothes. You just end up buying special airated t-shirts to blend in with all the other idiots. Agree on the footwear aspect. However, unless your Paula Radcliffe, £50 a year for a pair of decent running trainers is hardly expensive compared to many hobbies.

Never felt the need to run with an ipod. Maybe i'm just lucky to live where I live, but the scenery is enough to keep me from boredom.

yeah scenery would help like.

50 quid for a pair was expensive for me when i gave up like walrus after day 2. im rubbish!

yeah scenery would help like.

50 quid for a pair was expensive for me when i gave up like walrus after day 2. im rubbish!

:angry: You sound as badly motivated as me! Try and find some runners at a similar level to you - that way you can enthuse each other. Running on your own, especially when it's cold, dark, wet, and windy ain't no fun.

:angry: You sound as badly motivated as me! Try and find some runners at a similar level to you - that way you can enthuse each other. Running on your own, especially when it's cold, dark, wet, and windy ain't no fun.

i tried to start when it was the tail end of summer though. first morning i went out it was a lovely day. i thought moyles would have been enough. its not just the motivation though. it was my complete failure, like walrus. the two are not a good combination. plus i dont really know anyone :O

i tried to start when it was the tail end of summer though. first morning i went out it was a lovely day. i thought moyles would have been enough. its not just the motivation though. it was my complete failure, like walrus. the two are not a good combination. plus i dont really know anyone :angry:

Sounds like you either need to not set a specific goal (so that you don't judge yourself as a failure) or set one that is a long way away to give you plenty of time to achieve it.

Why do you think you failed? You didn't manage to do the distance you set yourself? Or run for the length of time you set? Or the distance you set yourself in a time you set yourself?

If you struggle running continuously, try running/walking. I.e. walk for 400m, run for 800m, then repeat. Choose a short circular route, that way you can do it once, and then if you're feeling good, repeat the loop. Build up slowly. Also get a cheap watch (if you haven't already) and time every run you do. That way you will see an improvement over a period of time, and feel better for achieving progress.

Sounds like you either need to not set a specific goal (so that you don't judge yourself as a failure) or set one that is a long way away to give you plenty of time to achieve it.

Why do you think you failed? You didn't manage to do the distance you set yourself? Or run for the length of time you set? Or the distance you set yourself in a time you set yourself?

If you struggle running continuously, try running/walking. I.e. walk for 400m, run for 800m, then repeat. Choose a short circular route, that way you can do it once, and then if you're feeling good, repeat the loop. Build up slowly. Also get a cheap watch (if you haven't already) and time every run you do. That way you will see an improvement over a period of time, and feel better for achieving progress.

I recommend nikeplus which you can connect to an ipod nano or is in the new 2nd generation touches - www.nikeplus.com - I find buying the training tracks good for my motivation.

just the fact that everytime i was jogging i had to stop after a minute and just walk. i could barely call it a run :angry:

i wasnt doing it to be able to acheive some sort of time in the future. i was only wanting to, to lose some weight and feel a bit fitter.

i suppose when i think about it, it probably was the motivation rather than anything else. ill try and get someone to go out with me when i try again. im guessing that would help so much.

I recommend nikeplus which you can connect to an ipod nano or is in the new 2nd generation touches - www.nikeplus.com - I find buying the training tracks good for my motivation.

The Nike+ website is shit.

Plenty of better alternatives on the market (and cheaper too).

Run 800 metres, as an unfit beginner?! Good god! I struggle to run 500 these days! Completed 5k in 35 mins in June with a combination of run walking. I recommend Running Made Easy for absolute beginners, or the Couch to 5k plan. Sadly I'm back to the beginning on both!

Im chronically lazy but have just done the great north run. It was part of a masterplan to do the london marathon, the ballot entries were due to be anounced the first weekend in Oct the same weekend as the great north so my thinking was knowing i wouldn't train for the great north if i then got a place for the marathon it would scare me into training for the marathon with another half marathon in dec. As it was I didn't get in to the marathon and now feel really grateful as with little training for the great north, I got to 8 miles and then had to walk and have sacked the other half marathon in dec off :P .

My advice, if you're training for something big and are a bit shit at doing the training like me, enter a few smaller events in the lead up to it that will then scare you into doing more training.