Any runners here?

TheGayTent

Did you do it Kowalski?

Went for a jog in the snow today. Was strangely cold. ;)

Just signed up for a Brighton half-marathon on Sunday 21st feb. 6.5 weeks of getting fitter awaits me. :)

Aye I did it, I shouldn't have though as I really struggled not having done much running for 3 weeks and still feeling the cold.

Never mind, half marathon training starts this week! 9 weeks to go!

Good luck with your training!

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, on boxing day i went out and ran 10m. Which was my furthest distance to date but only by half a mile, plus I ran it much slower. Nothing out of the ordinary to the run, cooled down/stretched as usual afterwards, finished feeling great and still full of energy and could have gone further but was trying to stick to the training plan like glue to reduce the risk of injury....

About 5 hours later my right foot starts hurting. Almost 2 weeks on it's no better. Can vaguely walk on it but it's painful - am not even attempting running on it. Have seen a totally unsympathetic doc and had an x-ray and they suspect it might be a stress fracture but he basically told me to go away and come back in 2 weeks if it's not better.

I can spare a couple of weeks of rest but any more and I'll almost definitely have to pull out of the marathon. And at the moment it feels like it's NEVER going to get better. Gutted :huh:

Well, on boxing day i went out and ran 10m. Which was my furthest distance to date but only by half a mile, plus I ran it much slower. Nothing out of the ordinary to the run, cooled down/stretched as usual afterwards, finished feeling great and still full of energy and could have gone further but was trying to stick to the training plan like glue to reduce the risk of injury....

About 5 hours later my right foot starts hurting. Almost 2 weeks on it's no better. Can vaguely walk on it but it's painful - am not even attempting running on it. Have seen a totally unsympathetic doc and had an x-ray and they suspect it might be a stress fracture but he basically told me to go away and come back in 2 weeks if it's not better.

I can spare a couple of weeks of rest but any more and I'll almost definitely have to pull out of the marathon. And at the moment it feels like it's NEVER going to get better. Gutted :huh:

Aw nightmare - thats a shocker. Hope the foot gets better soon.

I signed up for the Edinburgh 10K yesterday. Might also do the Glasgow half marathon later in the year.

Ouch...good luck with the recovery SB!

I went to the gym last night for the first time in 2 months :lol: But did manage to run non-stop for my longest distance (not saying how long - too embarrassing next to you marathon runners :lol: ). I slowed my pace down waaay slower than usual which is definitely the way forward. Sought out my Running Made Easy book this morning and am going to try sticking to the plan! Buuuut, just came back from a hospital appointment that means I can't exercise til the weekend...D'oh...Bad start!

a mile in 7'20

thats the fastest ive done so far and the streets were covered in ice AND i was stoned....

eh?

My best run across the last three days was after a night on the beer. It's a strange world....

Aye I did it, I shouldn't have though as I really struggled not having done much running for 3 weeks and still feeling the cold.

Never mind, half marathon training starts this week! 9 weeks to go!

Good luck with your training!

It's a start. & I'm managing no more than 5K in one go right now.

Well, on boxing day i went out and ran 10m........

Thought you were having a laugh, 10 metres? :lol:

Bad luck about the foot - I presume these things can suddenly get better though, and you've just over 3 months until the marathon? Fingers crossed for you.

stupid question, is there a website with all the races that happen in the uk?

i want to do a marathon, but will need to do a half marathon first, so should probably try a 10k, so really should start with a 5k :lol:

stupid question, is there a website with all the races that happen in the uk?

i want to do a marathon, but will need to do a half marathon first, so should probably try a 10k, so really should start with a 5k :)

5ks are overrated. For my first race I went straight into a triathlon that incorporated a 5k :lol: Actually that was the only reason I taught myself to run in the first place - I am a pretty decent swimmer and cyclist and really wanted to do a tri but had never run in my life and was convinced I couldn't do it. Am still a terrible runner, mind!

For finding races I use the race finder on www.runnersworld.co.uk or on www.fetcheveryone.com, depending. I read the forums on runnersworld a lot because they're brilliant and answer any questions you might have and everyone is dead helpful, but I use Fetch to log all my miles and display the data to me in pretty ways :)

My best run across the last three days was after a night on the beer. It's a strange world....

It's a start. & I'm managing no more than 5K in one go right now.

Thought you were having a laugh, 10 metres? :lol:

Bad luck about the foot - I presume these things can suddenly get better though, and you've just over 3 months until the marathon? Fingers crossed for you.

10 metres! That sounds like my sort of run! Alas sadly not, it was actually 10 miles, though I was running with my sister - first time I'd done a long run with anyone - and the time went by *so* fast. Now I understand what all this training partner business is about! Shame I don't have one though :lol:

I have no clue how anyone can run after a night on the beer. 1 or 2 drinks sure, but a couple of times I've tried running the day after more than that and felt distinctly like a car with no oil or water in it. Just couldn't do it, so I salute you!

I have no clue how anyone can run after a night on the beer. 1 or 2 drinks sure, but a couple of times I've tried running the day after more than that and felt distinctly like a car with no oil or water in it. Just couldn't do it, so I salute you!

I reason that there's some spare carbs knocking around at that point that haven't been converted to beer belly. :lol:

Not trying that trick before the big race of course.

Finally got my finger out and went for a "run".... im even more unfit than I thought. It was more a power walk with a few short bursts of running. I hate that burning throat feeling you get at the start, its horrible and makes you feel like you want to die.

When I lived in America the local roads were so flat and id never really thought about the difference that could make coz its not exactly hilly round here, just not flat, but it was much harder.

Finally got my finger out and went for a "run".... im even more unfit than I thought. It was more a power walk with a few short bursts of running. I hate that burning throat feeling you get at the start, its horrible and makes you feel like you want to die.

When I lived in America the local roads were so flat and id never really thought about the difference that could make coz its not exactly hilly round here, just not flat, but it was much harder.

Getting yourself entered into a 5K or 10K would be great motivation to keep your running going.

starting now as a complete, unfit beginner, when do you reckon is a likely timescale to be able to attempt a 5k?

1 month if you're willing to run 2-3 times a week, but might be an idea to find one about 6-8 weeks away. Depends if you want to just complete a 5K or be comfortable in running it without stopping.

Plenty of training schedules on the web (Jog Scotland website is a good resource!).

Edited by Kowalski

1 month if you're willing to run 2-3 times a week, but might be an idea to find one about 6-8 weeks away. Depends if you want to just complete a 5K or be comfortable in running it without stopping.

Plenty of training schedules on the web (Jog Scotland website is a good resource!).

thanks il have a look on there :(

dont see me doing it in a month, my work schedule is pretty random and I will only run out here in daylight so I cant really guarantee a set training schedule. Cant wait for light evenings to come in!

Did 9 miles yesterday which i am quite pleased about, and makes me feel more confident about my first half marathon (8 weeks today!).

Nice one. You're almost there already.

Did 9km yesterday that I was also quite pleased about wrt my first half-marathon 6 weeks today.

But alas my figures are less impressive than yours, and I pulled a muscle in my neck to boot :D

Nonetheless, at point of finishing the run I would have been happy to have carried on, so will build up consecutively each weekend.

starting now as a complete, unfit beginner, when do you reckon is a likely timescale to be able to attempt a 5k?

I ran/walked my first (and only, thus far!) 5k with my Mum in 35 minutes...We trained on and off for a couple of months beforehand but that was as someone who was rather overweight and had done NO running before! I lost 2 stone in the run up to the 5k but really let it slip once I'd finished and had no goal to train towards.

I've spent this weekend re-reading my Running Made Easy book. I'm feeling super-motivated at the moment and have begun their 10K plan today (on the treadmill though...and then running home from the gym!). I got a text earlier suggesting the Great North Run in October, so am looking to do a 10K in a few months as something to work towards in the meantime. I know you can train much faster for races but my work schedule is chaotic too. It's 10 weeks but I'm trying to slot in some Pump and Combat classes too along the way... At the moment I can run (and I use that in the loosest sense - it's a slow jog!) for up to 10 minutes before having to break, although the plan has reset that to 5 minutes to start with. We'll see how it works out... :D

If you want a online-training-buddy, I'll volunteer my services - I need all the motivation I can get!

Anyone got any tips on pacing yourself not to run too fast? I'm doing the London marathon in April and last time I did it I trained with someone so we chatted, which kept us at a pace we were comfy with. This time I'm doing it on my own and I find when Im running I go far too fast without realising til I'm puffed out and have to have really long walking breaks.

That's me up to 10 miles, 7 weeks before my first half marathon.

All the training so far is pointing towards a race time of between 2 hour and 2 hours 10 but hopefully that will improve. Feeling confident about doing the distance though.

If I can just get to your level..... :P

All I've managed this week is acquire that Runners book that's been mentioned here, and nurse the sore neck. May attempt something short later today, just to see if the neck's ready to be run with. It hurt a lot yesterday, having gradually gotton better across the week, but today is virtually non-existant, so I figure yesterday was the last-legs of the pull.

If I can just get to your level..... :P

All I've managed this week is acquire that Runners book that's been mentioned here, and nurse the sore neck. May attempt something short later today, just to see if the neck's ready to be run with. It hurt a lot yesterday, having gradually gotton better across the week, but today is virtually non-existant, so I figure yesterday was the last-legs of the pull.

You have to be careful with little niggles and pains. I would definitely rest.

Are you just running yourself? There's a group of us training for this half marathon and it makes a huge difference if there's a crowd of you running (for a start, its not so easy to give up when you're struggling!).

You have to be careful with little niggles and pains. I would definitely rest.

Are you just running yourself? There's a group of us training for this half marathon and it makes a huge difference if there's a crowd of you running (for a start, its not so easy to give up when you're struggling!).

:P Been and done 3k whilst you were typing that.

No pain whatsoever whilst running. Just a little tinge in the background now, so we'll se how that goes to decide whether I should have run or not.

Yes, running by self. I'm far too tight to not run the race, now that I've paid the money, so hopefully I'll train like I mean it. A friend and his wife are running the race too, but he's a lot faster than me and doesn't live nearby.