Any runners here?

TheGayTent

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 miles run for me yesterday - have been getting back in to it after 6 weeks totally laid off due to this stupid foot problem. First 8 miles brilliant, ran out of steam for the last 2 but got myself through it nonetheless. FLM isn't looking impossible now at least. Easy miles next weekend, 12 miles weekend after (will be my longest run ever), taper weekend after that then Silverstone half mara.

best start on me fundraising then, since it looks like I'm doing the marathon after all - hooray!

Well done. Who are you running FLM for? Will you be setting up a justgiving page? Let me know and i'll certainly donate

Well done. Who are you running FLM for? Will you be setting up a justgiving page? Let me know and i'll certainly donate

I'm running for Livability, who are a great local charity. My sister ran for them last year and recommended them to me.

And thank you very much, that's very generous! I am jealous of your times, I'm very much a slow plodder :) Haven't set up the page yet because I didn't think i was going to get over the foot injury in time (as it is I'm going to be really pushing it, won't have time to get further than 18m in training, the thought of having to do another 8 unknown miles after terrifies me!) but I'll let you know - thanks!

Is the race next weekend? I wouldn't do anything after Tuesday, definitely rest until the race. I also wouldn't do too long a run if you're having another one, 8 miles or something. That's just me though.

Yep, on Sunday. Just checked my book, which suggests 3 runs this week but none more than 40 minutes. Presume that's to keep the muscles ticking over? I may do a little longer but one less run.

Congrats GayTent and StoopidBird. :)

10 miles run for me yesterday - have been getting back in to it after 6 weeks totally laid off due to this stupid foot problem. First 8 miles brilliant, ran out of steam for the last 2 but got myself through it nonetheless. FLM isn't looking impossible now at least. Easy miles next weekend, 12 miles weekend after (will be my longest run ever), taper weekend after that then Silverstone half mara.

best start on me fundraising then, since it looks like I'm doing the marathon after all - hooray!

Hey good work on the ten miler! I did one on Wednesday, hard work but loved it!

I'm also doing the London marathon, did it in 2007 but hoping to do it in a good time this time round, last time my only goal was to finish the course!!

Doing a half marathon tomorrow that I've made up myself, I live in a hilly part of Cornwall so gonna be tough, but looking forward to it all the same.

Make sure you post your justgiving site on here when you get it up and running, mine is www.justgiving.com/cornishsam I'm running for CLICSargent again, love it!

TheGayTent, that is an amazing time well done, I dream of running at that speed! :)

Edited by themuel

What time have you got in mind for FLM themuel?

My mate did it last year, and like you, his aim was to finish. He managed it in just under 4 hours. He is now aiming to break 3.5 hours.

I got an email yesterday from the organisers of the Great North Run - sadly I missed out in the ballot. Not that bothered though as I am going to enter the Berlin Marathon instead (they're on the same day).

Can't wait!

What time have you got in mind for FLM themuel?

My mate did it last year, and like you, his aim was to finish. He managed it in just under 4 hours. He is now aiming to break 3.5 hours.

I got an email yesterday from the organisers of the Great North Run - sadly I missed out in the ballot. Not that bothered though as I am going to enter the Berlin Marathon instead (they're on the same day).

Can't wait!

Thanks so much for the sponsor TheGayTent, really kind!!

I'm nowhere near that fast, last year I did it in 5.27.33 so hardly fast!! Would like to do it in somewhere around 4.5ish.

I did a half marathon today in 2.08 which I'm pretty happy with as I got lost half way round and had to improvise the rest of the course so I lost alot of motivation. Especially when I ran into a travellers camp of some form and found myself surrounded by greyhounds, lurchers and a couple of horses, all of which I'm terrified of! The people were all very nice though!

I'm nowhere near that fast, last year I did it in 5.27.33 so hardly fast!! Would like to do it in somewhere around 4.5ish.

I did a half marathon today in 2.08 which I'm pretty happy with as I got lost half way round and had to improvise the rest of the course so I lost alot of motivation. Especially when I ran into a travellers camp of some form and found myself surrounded by greyhounds, lurchers and a couple of horses, all of which I'm terrified of! The people were all very nice though!

;)

Bravo for doing a half off your own back though.

Brilliant! ;)

Well done.

Hey good work on the ten miler! I did one on Wednesday, hard work but loved it!

I'm also doing the London marathon, did it in 2007 but hoping to do it in a good time this time round, last time my only goal was to finish the course!!

Doing a half marathon tomorrow that I've made up myself, I live in a hilly part of Cornwall so gonna be tough, but looking forward to it all the same.

Make sure you post your justgiving site on here when you get it up and running, mine is www.justgiving.com/cornishsam I'm running for CLICSargent again, love it!

TheGayTent, that is an amazing time well done, I dream of running at that speed! ;)

Ooo, feel free to fling any tips/hints/anecdotes/anything else you feel appropriate in my direction!

Also, 5.27.33 is sounding like quite a good time to me right now...!! This stupid injury has really thrown my plans off, I should have just done 18m as my longest run rather than 10 - as it is I don't think I'll get to go further than about 17m in training before it, I just don't have enough time unless I want to skip rest/lower mileage weeks, which I don't because I'm terrified of doing my foot in again. How long was your longest run last time and how long did you train for?

And I promise to sponsor you once I get paid in a couple of weeks! ;)

;)

Bravo for doing a half off your own back though.

Brilliant! ;)

Well done.

Cheers guys!!

Ooo, feel free to fling any tips/hints/anecdotes/anything else you feel appropriate in my direction!

Also, 5.27.33 is sounding like quite a good time to me right now...!! This stupid injury has really thrown my plans off, I should have just done 18m as my longest run rather than 10 - as it is I don't think I'll get to go further than about 17m in training before it, I just don't have enough time unless I want to skip rest/lower mileage weeks, which I don't because I'm terrified of doing my foot in again. How long was your longest run last time and how long did you train for?

And I promise to sponsor you once I get paid in a couple of weeks! :)

That'll be fine, I didnt do more than 17 miles last time and I got round, a little slowly, but got round all the same!! I'm tentatively planning on doing an almost marathon length run beforehand, but not 100% sure yet.

I trained for about 6 months before last time, but this time I only properly started in January and am doing far better in my opinion. I did take it mega easy last time though, I ran with a friend so we just chatted as we jogged. This time because I'm on my own I am running faster and am focusing more on times etc. My Nikeplus band is the best thing ever though, keeps me in good pace!!

Did 14 miles this morning, the longest I've ever run. Took 2 hours and 20 minutes.

We passed the half marathon mark at 2 hours 11. I'm quite chuffed with the effort.

Race day is two weeks tomorrow and I'm thinking I'll do it between 2 hours 5 and 2 hours 10. Breaking 2 hours is beyond me!

I'm nursing some blisters! :P

Did 14 miles this morning, the longest I've ever run. Took 2 hours and 20 minutes.

We passed the half marathon mark at 2 hours 11. I'm quite chuffed with the effort.

Race day is two weeks tomorrow and I'm thinking I'll do it between 2 hours 5 and 2 hours 10. Breaking 2 hours is beyond me!

I'm nursing some blisters! :rolleyes:

That's an excellent time, congrats! Apologies if you've said it before - which half mara are you doing?

Was meant to be a 6 mile LSR for me today but I left it a bit late to head out as had a busy day so instead I ran a mile to the gym, did 7.5k of intervals on the treadhill, then ran a mile back. Also did half an hour of cardio work in the gym - was in a little world of my own with the headphones on and would have happily kept going but they started turning the lights out so I took it as my cue to leave! The last mile back was all uphill but I felt like I had plenty of run left in my legs - had to talk myself into going home instead of continuing on! Was meant to be a low mileage run this week, have my first 12-miler coming up on friday. Am actually quite looking forward to it now!

9 weeks until marathon - jeebus - will I be ready in time??

I'm nursing some blisters! :rolleyes:

Congrats on beating that mental barrier - the actual race should be a doddle now.....

Car broke down on the motorway, on the way to Brighton half-marathon today. :ph34r:

Managed to limp it back home.

Decided to run 2 hours locally and map it afterwards.

12.8 miles. :rolleyes:

But I got very lost on the way, and mapmyrun doesn't include tracks through woods, so am going to assume it was the full-half. Certainly my longest run ever. :lol:

Legs slightly sore....

Car broke down on the motorway, on the way to Brighton half-marathon today. :ph34r:

Managed to limp it back home.

Decided to run 2 hours locally and map it afterwards.

12.8 miles. :rolleyes:

But I got very lost on the way, and mapmyrun doesn't include tracks through woods, so am going to assume it was the full-half. Certainly my longest run ever. :lol:

Legs slightly sore....

Nightmare. Sorry to hear that.

A decent run though, and you're quicker than me!

If you invest in a Garmin watch (£100ish on Amazon) it'll tell you your exact mileage.

If anyone wants to combine running and a festival, here you go:

http://www.outsiderfestival.co.uk/outrunner09.html

The OutRunner 12K Solo starts and finishes within the Festival arena and follows a combination of trails and road and passes along the shores of spectacular Loch An Eilein.

loch%20an%20eilein%20sunset.jpg

Sadly on the same weekend as Glastonbury.

I always thought a run round Glasto would be a lark..... :P

Yeh I've always thought that too.....

After my success at the half marathon last week I developed bad shins and my trainers gave out on me so I had a forced one week break. Purchased new ones yesterday (trainers not shins!) and went for a 5 mile run today, the stronger support in the trainers helped as I did my fastest 5 miles yet, but I still have sore shins. Will have to watch them carefully.

I forgot how tough it was running again even after a little one week breaks!

Edited by themuel

Did a local 5K race today. What a shock to the system doing a shorter race again after training for a half marathon.

My first half marathon (Inverness) is a week today and I've raised £600 for the British Heart Foundation - I just hope its not me they'll be spending the money on!