Any runners here?

TheGayTent

Yes, complete rip-off merchants! Can't think what it was the £30 went for! Also, my time was something like 1 hour 39 minutes at the end. I'm not a fast runner but it took me over half an hour to get to the start line, ridiculous! Why on earth didn't they roughly separate the people who were running from the walkers, at least? I spent a lot of time trying not to knock people over. I've not got a problem with people walking at these things, especially if they are doing it for charity, but it seems silly to have walkers starting with people who are going to speed round!

I was amazed at the walkers. It took me 10 minutes to get to the start line and I was watching the people who'd been through run past, I must have seen about 20 walkers in a minute or two of looking, and that was less than 100m from the start line!! I can't understand why people would enter the event, even for charity, if you're not going to run at all. My mate that I entered with was enraged about the whole thing, he was trying to get sub-40 mins but ended up doing it in 48 because he was getting blocked in so much that he sort of just gave up.

I can't really understand the price of it either. That goody bag was totally rubbish but at least I got one - I got the last one in the box but there were still loads of unclaimed bags, and all the other stations I went past had run out too. I'd be furious if I didn't even get a medal out of it!

Might have a go at the Bupa 10,000m next year instead - that's apparently much better organised and with proper staggered starts according to estimated run time etc.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TGT - 10 min miles sounds like a very good pace for someone new to running, well done. I would suggest going no faster than that for the first 6 miles or so and then only speeding up a little if you're feeling REALLY good....the last couple of miles will be killers if you go off too quickly! I always take on isotonic fluids during a half to help energy levels. If you haven't already, practice drinking on the move beforehand. If you have to slow down/walk to drink, do so because more than 2 hours of running will require proper fluid replacement during the race.

I avoid thinking anything along the lines of "only 2 miles to go" because those two miles can suddenly seem like a marathon. Some people find it helpful to dedicate each mile to someone they know and run it for them/in memory of them - helps keep you going when/if it's getting tough. I count to one hundred over and over again to distract myself if a race (or section of a race) is really hurting.

Most important though....make sure you enjoy it. The crowd support is amazing - soak it up and smile :lol: .

TGT - 10 min miles sounds like a very good pace for someone new to running, well done.

Thanks! The weight has certainly started coming off which i guess helps, and recovery time after a run has come down. I don't ache like I used to for 48hrs after a run.

I would suggest going no faster than that for the first 6 miles or so and then only speeding up a little if you're feeling REALLY good....the last couple of miles will be killers if you go off too quickly! I always take on isotonic fluids during a half to help energy levels. If you haven't already, practice drinking on the move beforehand. If you have to slow down/walk to drink, do so because more than 2 hours of running will require proper fluid replacement during the race.

Up until this last week, I have always ran with a bottle of water, even though I find it really uncomfortable to do so. After the first 3 weeks of training though I found I didn't really need it but kept carrying it as a sort of security blanket. The last 3 runs I've gone without and not missed it. I don't think I'll bother for the race as there are 4 water stations around the course.

I avoid thinking anything along the lines of "only 2 miles to go" because those two miles can suddenly seem like a marathon. Some people find it helpful to dedicate each mile to someone they know and run it for them/in memory of them - helps keep you going when/if it's getting tough. I count to one hundred over and over again to distract myself if a race (or section of a race) is really hurting.

Most important though....make sure you enjoy it. The crowd support is amazing - soak it up and smile :lol: .

Sounds like good advice, thanks again. There is a big hill at 3 miles, and another one at 9 miles. The last 3 miles are flat or downhill so I have sort of planned to follow the 10 min mile pace til I complete the big hill between 9 and 10. Then if I feel up to it, I may try and go a little quicker.

Am excitedly nervous if that makes sense?!

Will definitely be sticking to 10 min mile pace!

Did a 10 miler yesterday morning. I went off and felt good. For some reason I really wasn't concentrating, just sort of day dreaming. Anyway after nearly 6 miles I realised I was panting quite bad and checked my watch for the first time. I'd done nearly 6 miles in 47 minutes.

Needless to say I suffered big time particularly on the big hill between 7-8 miles. Ended up doing 12 min miles for the last 2 miles.

Felt terrible last night - knocked my confidence tbh. However am trying to look on the positive side now - at least I made the mistake in training and hopefully now won't come race day...

Completed in in 2hrs 2mins. Beat my target by quite a few minutes. Slightly gutted to get so close to 2hrs but not quite managing to dip under. Still always next time!

Shattered today

i think it's good that you feel slightly gutted when you have beaten your target time use this to drive you on to your next race.

well done

That's a great time, well done!

i think it's good that you feel slightly gutted when you have beaten your target time use this to drive you on to your next race.

well done

Cheers. I have been looking around for other races. Am thinking about Maidstone half, Kent Coastal, half, and Folkestone half. Anyone got any experience of them?

May even do the Tunbridge Wells 10k, and treat it as a training session just cos it'd be a bit more interesting than doing a 10k on me tod!

• 2 months later...
Am doing Maidstone half marathon on Sunday. Not looking forward to it as have been suffering from a bad back which has somewhat disrupted my training.

Hey ho.

I feel your pain. Twisted my back during a tennis match on Saturday and Ive been necking Ibuprofen since. Would hate to think about running any distance at the moment. Hope it goes okay.

Am doing Maidstone half marathon on Sunday. Not looking forward to it as have been suffering from a bad back which has somewhat disrupted my training.

Hey ho.

Ah that sucks, sorry to hear it. Hope it goes OK on the day - trust you're resting that back up now and not doing any more until the race?

I just got an email from the London Marathon peeps to confirm I'm all registered - am now absolutely cacking self even though it's 6 months away! Haven't done more than 10k though, so I've a *lot* of training to do between now and April...I am exhausted even thinking about it!

Ah that sucks, sorry to hear it. Hope it goes OK on the day - trust you're resting that back up now and not doing any more until the race?

Nah, i'm gonna do a little 10k tomorrow night.

I just got an email from the London Marathon peeps to confirm I'm all registered - am now absolutely cacking self even though it's 6 months away! Haven't done more than 10k though, so I've a *lot* of training to do between now and April...I am exhausted even thinking about it!

Lucky you - I got a fleece and a rejection magazine <_<

Good luck with the training - you following a plan?

I recently took 3 minutes off my 10K time so its time to step up to a half marathon next year!!

Sunday will be my 2nd half marathon - but i've never done a 10k. Well I have, but only in training.

Anyone in the South East that wants to do a half marathon, would suggest doing Paddock Wood in March. Flat as a pancake, so great for beginners and for getting PBs - so I have been told anyway.

About 8 miles.

Looking at a half marathon in March which should be pretty flat and give me time to increase the miles.

If you can do 8 miles you're almost there now IMO. Furthest i'd done in training before my first 1/2 was 10 miles - and i'd only done that twice. On the day I didn't have any problems with the distance. Just nearly died after!

My legs ache but I care not a jot. After doing no training for 5 weeks, I went into yesterday's Maidstone half marathon without knowing if i'd finish let alone do a good time. Somewhere I managed to beat my PB by three minutes and get under 2hrs for the first time.

Needless to say, I'm quite happy!

My legs ache but I care not a jot. After doing no training for 5 weeks, I went into yesterday's Maidstone half marathon without knowing if i'd finish let alone do a good time. Somewhere I managed to beat my PB by three minutes and get under 2hrs for the first time.

Congrats. I bet the legs still hurt today. :angry:

Excellent, great effort.

Think I'm doing my first half marathon next March.

Anyone in the South East that wants to do a half marathon, would suggest doing Paddock Wood in March. Flat as a pancake, so great for beginners and for getting PBs - so I have been told anyway.

That's quite tempting! Although I've only done a 5k ever, and haven't done any running properly since June! But March is a long way away, right...? :angry:

And well done! We must live rather close indeed :O