Cricket

greeneyes1980

I'd expect some progress, particularly for Ireland who might not lose the likes of Morgan and Boyd Rankin who both switched to England for Test cricket only to play for fairly brief runs.

Obviously Morgan's a big part of the limited overs side now, but if Ireland had had Test status 12 years ago would he be playing for England?

If either can compete as well as Bangladesh then worthy additions.

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'd expect some progress, particularly for Ireland who might not lose the likes of Morgan and Boyd Rankin who both switched to England for Test cricket only to play for fairly brief runs.

Obviously Morgan's a big part of the limited overs side now, but if Ireland had had Test status 12 years ago would he be playing for England?

If either can compete as well as Bangladesh then worthy additions.

Would agree with much of that - my worry is Afghanistan. With their circumstances it's quite possible I would have thought to progress like Zimbabwe more than Bangladesh. 

Interesting that India look to have won their latest battle with the ICC over the distribution of money...

16 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Would agree with much of that - my worry is Afghanistan. With their circumstances it's quite possible I would have thought to progress like Zimbabwe more than Bangladesh. 

Interesting that India look to have won their latest battle with the ICC over the distribution of money...

Afghanistan, from what I've seen of them in limited overs, look to have more talented players than Zimbabwe, but you never really know. It's quite possible that they have some valiant losses and then never build on it.

Hadn't heard about that but not particularly surprising. Sigh.

3 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

End of an era - Blowers is retiring. 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40378783

Yeah. Sad times.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:20 PM, TheGayTent said:

Bowling attack looks vulnerable now. Woakes unfit, Wood and Anderson just coming back from injury and now Broad out for at least the first test. 

Anderson a doubt, Broad supposedly back but be a close thing. Ball out. Woakes unfit.

AB not being around isn't a miss - not in test match cricket for me. 

Morkel missing would be big - I must have missed that - he was playing in the ICC Trophy? 

Do we think Steyn is finished? He's missed so much cricket in the last few years. 

Edited by TheGayTent

I get what you're saying, and it really depends on how good the next in line is, considering 1/3 of their cricketers have retired to play the county game. I still think he's a good Test cricketer just not a top tier player.

I'd heard Morkel had picked up a niggle in the trophy and was a doubt for the first test. Nothing really serious and he should still play most of the tour, but a doubt.

I think Steyn could be finished, if his next recovery doesn't go as planned its hard to see him keep going. He's probably got one more attempted run in the side.

Hello people.

Thought I'd post in here to see if anyone has any advice. If not then no worries.

I'm looking into trying to get to one of the ashes tests in Australia. I will be in New Zealand from September and as the other half is a teacher will have the christmas/January period off. We also may be heading over to Adelaide for Christmas itself, as she has family there. Has anyone got any experience of going to any Aussie Ashes tests? any tips/advice? As far as I can see there are still tickets available

I'd love to have gone to the day/night Adelaide test but that one is early December and so wont fit with our travel schedule. But its shouldnt be too difficult to get over to either the Melbourne or Sydney tests after Christmas from Adelaide if we are there.

Edited by mjsell

Getting MCG tickets is easy because of the size of the ground. All the pre-sales have finished meaning any Tom, Dick, or Harry can buy tickets. You can get them here:

http://www.cricket.com.au/tickets?state=VIC

Also, have a read of this - it will answer most of your questions and some you probably haven't even thought of. 

http://trinorth.co.uk/client/barmy_army/spring-2017/#1

Edited by TheGayTent

1 minute ago, TheGayTent said:

Getting MCG tickets is easy because of the size of the ground. All the pre-sales have finished meaning any Tom, Dick, or Harry can buy tickets. You can get them here:

http://www.cricket.com.au/tickets?state=VIC

Cheers TGT. Have you seen the prices for the Melbourne game? Unbelievable value. But I assume thats because we are used to British prices.

Should I be looking at getting seats in the 'England fan zone' or just go for standard tickets you think? I visited the MCG for a tour when I was out in Oz a few years back, I'd love to see a match there, breathtaking stadium.

Just now, mjsell said:

Cheers TGT. Have you seen the prices for the Melbourne game? Unbelievable value. But I assume thats because we are used to British prices.

Should I be looking at getting seats in the 'England fan zone' or just go for standard tickets you think? I visited the MCG for a tour when I was out in Oz a few years back, I'd love to see a match there, breathtaking stadium.

Totally depends on your likes and dislikes. The barmies are a very friendly bunch but they're not for everyone. Get a 'seat' in one of their bays - particularly for Melbourne, and you won't be using your seat much. They stand for much of the game and even when they're seated you'll be up and down more than a whore's drawers with people going to the bar/bogs. Plus of course, they're a noisy lot. If I were doing more than one day I would probably have a day with them for the experience but definitely a day elsewhere for a better view and actually watching more of the game....

Be warned, if you're a drinker, the ticket price is offset by the beer prices...and the beer is weak piss too...

6 bowlers, 3 of whom are probably batting all-rounders. And it's not like Root and Jennings can't throw down a handy few overs to switch things up.

Not been impressed by Liam Dawson as a bowler so far, although I suspect his job is to bowl a run of 6 overs for 20-odd runs and then get a handy 30 with the bat rather than to take wickets. Hopefully he does at least that but doesn't seem an exciting pick to me.

Hopefully Ali will be left at 7 now. Batted everywhere down to 9 in the line-up and he only averages over 40 at 5 and 7, with that being 80+ at 7 and 3 of his 5 hundreds scored there.

Bet you were happy to see Duckett out so quickly. Still hard not to see the draw but there's a chance there.

37 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

6 bowlers, 3 of whom are probably batting all-rounders. And it's not like Root and Jennings can't throw down a handy few overs to switch things up.

Not been impressed by Liam Dawson as a bowler so far, although I suspect his job is to bowl a run of 6 overs for 20-odd runs and then get a handy 30 with the bat rather than to take wickets. Hopefully he does at least that but doesn't seem an exciting pick to me.

Hopefully Ali will be left at 7 now. Batted everywhere down to 9 in the line-up and he only averages over 40 at 5 and 7, with that being 80+ at 7 and 3 of his 5 hundreds scored there.

Bet you were happy to see Duckett out so quickly. Still hard not to see the draw but there's a chance there.

I think it'll be an interesting series - can the new players step up, and can the 'reserves' be relied upon when we have injuries - and when the games run thick and fast - when we want to rotate? 

If they get another 200 and avoid the follow on the draw has to be almost certain. Disappointed Shah hasn't made more of an impact since he joined. Had been hoping this was the game...