Cricket

greeneyes1980

Lots of noises in the media that Batty will be our 6th bowler. Can't say I like that idea, I'd assumed he'd only gone to mentor Ansari a bit and help him acclimatise.

Hameed and Duckett both doing well in the warm-up games. I'd currently be inclined to play both and leave Ballance out. I'm still a fan of Ballance and think he'll be a fixture in England squads for a while, but he isn't in the best of form (for England or Yorkshire), and I'd rather give chances to the others. They both look exciting prospects.

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I've just bought Fri and Sat tickets for the Trent Bridge test match next summer against South Africa - now that's sorted am looking forward to the next 2 test series 

Got my and 7 of my mates tickets for Day 2 of Old Trafford in the same series. I'm slowly clocking up the amount of international grounds I've been to (still plenty to go though!).

Looking forward to tomorrow. Nothing says English winter than turning on TMS in bed and listening to them talk about how bloody hot it is when it's freezing at home!

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Got my and 7 of my mates tickets for Day 2 of Old Trafford in the same series. I'm slowly clocking up the amount of international grounds I've been to (still plenty to go though!).

Looking forward to tomorrow. Nothing says English winter than turning on TMS in bed and listening to them talk about how bloody hot it is when it's freezing at home!

Expensive job clocking up the overseas ones ! 

I'm still trying to sort out with my mates what we can get to next summer. Headlingley is dirt cheap (again) and I have family I can stay with, but really want to get to a Test against the Saffers. Trent Bridge or OT being more likely than London prices.

I'm really excited about tomorrow. Still really hoping to see Hameed, I'll be incredibly disappointed if Duckett and Ballance keep him out. Ditto Batty vs Ansari.

Root is class. We knew that already but there's still constant reminders. Session worth waking up early for though!

I know it's hindsight and all that, but Hameed should be playing. I really hope he comes in for Ballance in the next Test (assuming he doesn't get a 2nd innings century).

46 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Dharmasena having a stinker

Yup. Moeen judging them nicely though, for all the reviews he's played properly and not given a chance at his stumps when 4 others have been bowled.

I was very surprised he came out at 5, I guess the selectors want to emphasise to him they consider him a proper batsman as well as a spin option.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Yup. Moeen judging them nicely though, for all the reviews he's played properly and not given a chance at his stumps when 4 others have been bowled.

I was very surprised he came out at 5, I guess the selectors want to emphasise to him they consider him a proper batsman as well as a spin option.

He's better at playing spin than some of the others around in him the middle order. 

7 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

He's better at playing spin than some of the others around in him the middle order. 

Stokes comes to mind. I value him in the team generally, but I'm wondering if it might be worth dropping him for Ansari if the next pitch will spin as much. 

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Stokes comes to mind. I value him in the team generally, but I'm wondering if it might be worth dropping him for Ansari if the next pitch will spin as much. 

If you were to replace a seamer with a spinner for these tests in the sub continent I'd be resting Broad not Stokes.

3 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

If you were to replace a seamer with a spinner for these tests in the sub continent I'd be resting Broad not Stokes.

I get that. Same point was made on TMS today. Although it's worth remembering Broad has been excellent on both our last trip to India and in the UAE.

Well that was a cracking Test.

Very impressed with Stokes' batting performance. Extracting the bit of reverse swing he did was quality, but I was much more surprised by his solid defence against spin early in his innings.

Moeen was excellent throughout as well, key performance with the bat, lots of key wickets and good times.

Cook's made clear there will be some changes. A shame Wood isn't fit as he'd suit these surfaces fantastically, so not sure whether Ball or Finn will come in. I guess for Woakes?

I really hope Ansari plays in the next Test, whether for Batty/Rashid, a seamer or Ballance. I suspect if they take Woakes out Ansari would only replace a bowler.

Still the possibility of Hameed coming in and Duckett moving down to 4. I'm in favour but I suspect they'll give Duckett at least another Test opening.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Hameed looking promising. 

Hoping that cook dangles the carrot tomorrow, a 6.5/over chase or something to make a game of it but I doubt it likely.

Cook will bat India out the game before he declares. The best chance for an exciting last day is an English batting collapse, now that'll never happen, will it?

Hameed does look very good. Can he play against real pace?

29 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Getting a bit exciting. Draw still favourite but there's the chance. 

Excellent match. I love it when the spinners do the bulk of the bowling.