Campsite flag help (pole stakes)

Bakkant

After two years of struggling to find my tent, I'd like to have a flag just for the campsite this year. On the efestivals shop, it says you need a mallet to get the pole stakes into the ground - is a mallet really necessary? Can't imagine every festival-goer with a campsite flag also came manned with a mallet...

1 hour ago, Bakkant said:

After two years of struggling to find my tent, I'd like to have a flag just for the campsite this year. On the efestivals shop, it says you need a mallet to get the pole stakes into the ground - is a mallet really necessary? Can't imagine every festival-goer with a campsite flag also came manned with a mallet...

They're thick (compared to tent pegs) poles, and skinny tent pegs can often be difficult to get in just an inch or two.

The pole stakes for flagpoles need to go in deep else the leverage from a tall flagpole and the wind will pull them over.

If you can get them in deep enough without a mallet, I reckon you shouldn't bother with Glastonbury and instead go to a strong-man competition that weekend. :P

Checked cosy camper site thats the only one I can remember being on site, but I'm sure there must be more , don't appear to stock mallets as standard but you can order before and pickup on site , not sure how much this helps but I'm sure those with better memories than me will add more to this :)

The solution to me would be to not bring a mallet and then just go up to someone at their campsite who has already put up a flag pole and ask if you can borrow theirs. As an aside, I've seen lots of people with just tents bring mallets to Glastonbury, so don't think you'd have too much trouble borrowing one.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The solution to me would be to not bring a mallet and then just go up to someone at their campsite who has already put up a flag pole and ask if you can borrow theirs. As an aside, I've seen lots of people with just tents bring mallets to Glastonbury, so don't think you'd have too much trouble borrowing one.

Just about to say the same thing old son.. 

Its a good way to get to know your neighbours.... Just be sure to leave said flag at camp... Lol 

2 hours ago, Bakkant said:

Thanks everyone, really helpful! Anyone know where I can buy a mallet? I might as well bring one... Amazon etc obviously sells them, but what kind do I need? Have to admit I'm no mallet expert...

This should do the trick. 
Charm x

https://m.millets.co.uk/product/black-eurohike-rubber-mallet/133893/

19 hours ago, Bakkant said:

Thanks everyone, really helpful! Anyone know where I can buy a mallet? I might as well bring one... Amazon etc obviously sells them, but what kind do I need? Have to admit I'm no mallet expert...

I know that Poundland used to sell them. Could save yourself £3. I still think you'd easily find someone on site with a mallet that you could borrow. Asking around would also serve to break the ice with your neighbours. It's good to get to know your neighbours as you can look out for each others tents ie they'll know who is supposed to be in your camp, and you'll know who is supposed to be in theirs.

• 2 weeks later...