Glastonbury: A disability persective

alibear

On 9 July 2016 at 4:33 PM, Harebell said:

Great blog, looking forward to reading more. I see in your husband’s bio that he was a former GB wheelchair rugby player, awesome! My husband works in sports construction and oversaw work on several of the London 2012 Olympic/Paralympic sites (although not the Copper Box where I think the wheelchair rugby was held?). They didn't give his company any free tickets but we made sure we bought tickets to as many Olympic and Paralympic events as we could, it was the best summer and such a great atmosphere in London - wish we had been able to catch some of the 'murderball' action though!

Hey, I just realised I didn't reply to this part of your post! He was indeed a Great Britain wheelchair rugby player, he retired after London 2012 - I can't believe the opening ceremony was four years ago! It was an amazing summer and it was great to see so many people discover the murderball! The GB team will be competing in Rio in a few weeks - I can't wait to see how they get on.

Edited by alibear

15 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It was nice to read the second installment of the blog. Happy to hear that strangers helped out.

We honestly had so many offers - it really is a wonderful place with wonderful people (though I think we all know that already :))

On 25 July 2016 at 10:11 AM, Quark said:

Loving reading this @alibear.  Aside from it being a good insight into Glastonbury from a disabled perspective, the concept of 5 minute friends and the tales of people helping out, getting you through the backstage camping etc just makes me love the place even more.

On 25 July 2016 at 0:58 PM, lucyginger said:

Love the "five minute friend" thing, it's so true! 

Your blog is great, thank you for sharing. It's always good to hear of other people's festival experiences :) 

Thanks guys :-) The "five-minute friend" has always been one of my favourite things about Glastonbury. It's one of the only places you can sit next to a stranger and say hello without looking like a weirdo!

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, alibear said:

Another lengthy gap because we're currently in Thailand trying to change the perception of disability! But here's the third instalment. http://andybarrow.co.uk/access-facilities-glastonbury/

Any comments/questions, fire away :-)

I had no idea about the shuttle bus in operation. It's great to hear that the festival put it on in order to help disabled people.

I can't even imagine the perseverance and positive mental attitude required to have a good time at this years festival considering the ground conditions. I don't think I could do it. Me and friends did help lift one lad who got a bit stuck and he seemed to be having a good time.

Great to read the latest instalment, a brilliant insight.

I've worked at Glasto for a fair few years, decided (in advance) that this year would be my last. My daughter came for 2-3 years back in 2003ish when she was in her mid-teens, she's now disabled, a wheelchair user, in her late 20's,  but I think would secretly love to go back to Glasto. I'm wondering about doing it as a punter and her p.a. rather than a worker.

She has a manual wheelchair but much prefers her powered chair, I'm guessing that even in dry weather a manual chair might be better for getting around some bits of the site (and can be lifted) - any thoughts? Were there any/many people using powered chairs this year? I'm guessing an electric hook up to charge wouldn't be a problem.

Look forward to reading the final blog.

Re: Yog & the shuttle bus, the fest have run this for a few years now, we staff a gate just by the pick up point in T&C. Gets quite a few passengers throughout the day/night, there's an  accessible Turdis by the bus stop and usually a team of stewards right there (plus our crew about 100 yds away) to offer any support/info if needed, can try to find out over the radio if there's any problems with the timetable etc. Sometimes even rustle up an emergency cup of tea!

21 minutes ago, Freewheelin2 said:

Re: Yog & the shuttle bus, the fest have run this for a few years now, we staff a gate just by the pick up point in T&C. Gets quite a few passengers throughout the day/night, there's an  accessible Turdis by the bus stop and usually a team of stewards right there (plus our crew about 100 yds away) to offer any support/info if needed, can try to find out over the radio if there's any problems with the timetable etc. Sometimes even rustle up an emergency cup of tea!

I had no idea about any of this infrastructure and good will. I also had no idea of Glastonbury from a disabled persons perspective. This thread has made me stop and think. Thanks for the education. :)

On 8/16/2016 at 5:06 PM, alibear said:

Another lengthy gap because we're currently in Thailand trying to change the perception of disability! But here's the third instalment. http://andybarrow.co.uk/access-facilities-glastonbury/

Any comments/questions, fire away :-)

Another good read Ali.  Good luck in Thailand!

I do have one question, and I'm pretty sure the answer differs from person to person.  Do you guys, and I guess Andy in particular, find that there's a line between people offering to help and making life easier, and people assuming you're struggling and trying to help when there's no need?

I ask as I know that some people are fiercely independent and find it quite patronising when you just assume they can't do something, while others are just happy to accept whatever help's offered.  Also wondering if that feeling changes somewhere like Glastonbury where there's such a big community feel to the whole thing :)

Edited by Quark

I used to work with a blind lady who was fiercely independent. Apparently she had a back garden with a 6 foot retaining wall and she used to mow her own lawn. Then one day she had an accident and fell over the 6 foot retaining wall complete with the lawn mower. Could have been a major disaster but she only got cuts and bruises. I thought she was barking to do her own lawn or not have railings installed to stop her falling, but I guess she just didn't want to let her disability stop her doing what everybody else does.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, so sorry for taking even longer to post the updated installment - I've just got back from an extremely bust time in Thailand which wound up with me suffering from a nasty case of "travellers' tummy"! Back in the land of the living now, though, and here's the penultimate blog. Enjoy! (I've got a ton of work to catch up on but will answer your questions very soon)

http://andybarrow.co.uk/glastonbury-10-top-tips-part-one/

On 8/17/2016 at 11:09 PM, Freewheelin2 said:

Great to read the latest instalment, a brilliant insight.

I've worked at Glasto for a fair few years, decided (in advance) that this year would be my last. My daughter came for 2-3 years back in 2003ish when she was in her mid-teens, she's now disabled, a wheelchair user, in her late 20's,  but I think would secretly love to go back to Glasto. I'm wondering about doing it as a punter and her p.a. rather than a worker.

She has a manual wheelchair but much prefers her powered chair, I'm guessing that even in dry weather a manual chair might be better for getting around some bits of the site (and can be lifted) - any thoughts? Were there any/many people using powered chairs this year? I'm guessing an electric hook up to charge wouldn't be a problem.

Hi, so sorry it's taken so long to get back to you; the last couple of months have been insanely busy for both of us!

There were a few people in power chairs and there are plenty of electricity points in the disabled campsite. I think the best thing to do would be to take both, if you can. One can be left in the car or in the porch of your tent and you can always go and collect it if you want to give it a try.

I'd say in dry weather it'd be power chair all the way, but as you say, a manual chair would be easier (mainly for people helping her) if it's muddy. I saw a few people being assisted out of muddy patches in power chairs so it can definitely be done - the manpower is always there! I guess it really is down to personal choice and monitoring the weather forecast before the festival (which we all do like hawks anyway!) Hope that helps, message me if you need to know anything else.

On 8/18/2016 at 9:19 AM, Quark said:

Another good read Ali.  Good luck in Thailand!

I do have one question, and I'm pretty sure the answer differs from person to person.  Do you guys, and I guess Andy in particular, find that there's a line between people offering to help and making life easier, and people assuming you're struggling and trying to help when there's no need?

I ask as I know that some people are fiercely independent and find it quite patronising when you just assume they can't do something, while others are just happy to accept whatever help's offered.  Also wondering if that feeling changes somewhere like Glastonbury where there's such a big community feel to the whole thing :)

Hi Quark, again, sorry it's taken a while to reply. I guess it's all in the wording and assessing the situation. If you see someone struggling, a simple "do you need any help?" is all you need to say. If they need it, they'll accept. Then make sure you ask them how, as they'll of course know the best way you can assist. If they look like they're struggling but say no, just say "no worries, I'm just over there if that changes" (or something similar).

I personally don't think it's cool to just wander up to them and say "let me help you" - as I feel it could come across as patronising if they don't feel they need it. It also sounds like you're assuming they need assistance when often they don't. Does that help? 

35 minutes ago, alibear said:

Hi Quark, again, sorry it's taken a while to reply. I guess it's all in the wording and assessing the situation. If you see someone struggling, a simple "do you need any help?" is all you need to say. If they need it, they'll accept. Then make sure you ask them how, as they'll of course know the best way you can assist. If they look like they're struggling but say no, just say "no worries, I'm just over there if that changes" (or something similar).

I personally don't think it's cool to just wander up to them and say "let me help you" - as I feel it could come across as patronising if they don't feel they need it. It also sounds like you're assuming they need assistance when often they don't. Does that help? 

It does indeed!  That's pretty much how I approach it anyway, which is good to know.  I guess it's just about getting that other perspective :)

59 minutes ago, alibear said:

Hi guys, here's the final installment - enjoy! http://andybarrow.co.uk/glastonbury-10-top-tips-part-two/ 

As usual, any questions, ask away... (I'm going to FINALLY answer the couple of questions above now)

Another great and educational read alibear. Please thank your husband for enabling us all to see his perspective. I'm going to make a note of his blog site (is that what it's called?) because I'd be really interested to read about your travels in Thailand.

On 9/30/2016 at 11:08 PM, guypjfreak said:

im having my reassement at mo so have to buy two tix and throw one back ....ah well i hope to any way lol ..im not worried about the reassement its thegetting tix that worrys me lol

We've had nothing through about Andy's reassessment at all - I thought it was all meant to be done by the end of the year! Hope it all goes ok.

On 02/10/2016 at 8:25 PM, alibear said:

We've had nothing through about Andy's reassessment at all - I thought it was all meant to be done by the end of the year! Hope it all goes ok.

yea i hope so ..its a 40 page bloody form and some of the questions are mad like can you walk 20 meters well no offence but i know people that only have one flipping leg and can walk 1000 meters lol but apporently you lose  points if you can walk lol

any way im not too worried its just them trying to get rid of us lol ..good luck tix day

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2016 at 1:02 PM, alibear said:

Hi, so sorry it's taken so long to get back to you; the last couple of months have been insanely busy for both of us!

There were a few people in power chairs and there are plenty of electricity points in the disabled campsite. I think the best thing to do would be to take both, if you can. One can be left in the car or in the porch of your tent and you can always go and collect it if you want to give it a try.

I'd say in dry weather it'd be power chair all the way, but as you say, a manual chair would be easier (mainly for people helping her) if it's muddy. I saw a few people being assisted out of muddy patches in power chairs so it can definitely be done - the manpower is always there! I guess it really is down to personal choice and monitoring the weather forecast before the festival (which we all do like hawks anyway!) Hope that helps, message me if you need to know anything else.

Thanks for your reply, really helpful  and great to read the final blog installments. .

Sadly, the thrills & spills of life took over recently, so we didn't go for tickets in the sale but never say never. Hope you got tickets and have a wonderful time, party till you're ready to drop then party a bit more.