• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, mattyc1965 said:

Where did you hear this excellent news?

from the bt forum.

the admin keeps everyone up to date with how bookings are going and gives us a heads up with annoucement dates.

they give a great insight into how hard it must be to lock down artists/acts for a festival of this size.

• 2 weeks later...

2015 was my first time at Bearded after pondering for years about it. Not an easy time of year to convince others to take the plunge. In the end bought a ticket the day before it started on a whim, went on my tod, and had a brilliant time grazing the bands and wandering about. After Glastonbury, everything seems so laid back, with no hassle or stress and just down right easy. Has made me re think my festival priorities and I certainly intend to be back. As I didn't really have a clue what I was up to, I did a little video diary to remind me what I saw and then pieced it all together when I got home using the programme. Saw some great stuff, most of which I hadn't heard of before - what a brilliant job of curating the Bearded folk do.

Its just my experience, pretty much as it happened, but then I thought other folk might enjoy it so I've just stuck it on youtube. Its here if you'd like to take a look - you might be on it, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsQUQKcS2So

1 hour ago, sparkythetortoise said:

2015 was my first time at Bearded after pondering for years about it. Not an easy time of year to convince others to take the plunge. In the end bought a ticket the day before it started on a whim, went on my tod, and had a brilliant time grazing the bands and wandering about. After Glastonbury, everything seems so laid back, with no hassle or stress and just down right easy. Has made me re think my festival priorities and I certainly intend to be back. As I didn't really have a clue what I was up to, I did a little video diary to remind me what I saw and then pieced it all together when I got home using the programme. Saw some great stuff, most of which I hadn't heard of before - what a brilliant job of curating the Bearded folk do.

Its just my experience, pretty much as it happened, but then I thought other folk might enjoy it so I've just stuck it on youtube. Its here if you'd like to take a look - you might be on it, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsQUQKcS2So

Superb - thank you.

2015 was my first year and my hat is in your video.

2016 will be my 2nd year.

4 hours ago, mattyc1965 said:

Superb - thank you.

Good stuff, and similar to my journey. I was persuaded away from the usual festival circuit by Beautiful Days. Found Bearded Theory in 2013 and have been back each years since. Now I can't fathom a May without BT!

4 hours ago, mattyc1965 said:

Superb - thank you.

My very bald head has a habit of bobbing up and down in other people's videos. Its very alarming when I realise that the bloke down the front with no sense of rhythm is me. Which hat is yours - there are some fine examples to choose from? 

18 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

My very bald head has a habit of bobbing up and down in other people's videos. Its very alarming when I realise that the bloke down the front with no sense of rhythm is me. Which hat is yours - there are some fine examples to choose from? 

Mine is a dull one - a pork pie hat, beige with black trim

On 11/30/2015, 12:21:01, Gnomicide said:

Saw loads of the same bands though. 

This was the real eye opener for me. At Glastonbury, and even Latitude, which are my hardy perennials, you do have to sort of commit to what you intend to see, however much you would like to think yourself a free spirit. The distances, and the crowds, make that sadly inevitable. At Bearded, it was so great to just wander around, sampling as took your fancy, and, most importantly, nipping back to the tent to stock up on beers between sets. Did a full "shift" on Saturday, in which time I think I saw bits of something like eighteen acts, which is  mad really, but it felt easy at the time. All that convenience had a cost, though, as I learned on Friday night. For the first time ever in all my years of festival attendance, I "nipped back" to the tent around midnight for a beer top up, rested my eyes, and next thing I knew it was 2am and I'd missed RDF. Had to pace myself a little better for the rest of the weekend. 

Edited by sparkythetortoise

It's a great festival for watching bands,  I've done it solo and saw masses of stuff then. Also a cracking place for getting hammered :) This year I had a few of those,  "hang on, I need to slow down" moments, particularly after Gun when I realised I was shit faced and there was a loooonnnnngggg way to go :D

Edited cos I almost missed a chance to post my video :)

Edited by Gnomicide

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's great that you enjoy bearded, but you do know that the things you've highlighted exist at almost all other smaller fests too, don't you?

Well that was part of my point really. It was the first genuinely small festival I've been to since the sadly defunct and fairly chaotic Eastern Haze back in 2007, and the inherent benefits of everything being so close and relaxed really hit home - obvious really, you're quite right, but it was a real eye opener - or perhaps a wake up call -  none the less, because you get so used to the rigours of bigger events, you stop noticing them after a while. I haven't fallen out of love with Glastonbury, or anything silly like that, but being reminded that sometimes small is beautiful did make me think about priorities.

That said, Bearded does seem to punch above its weight, don't you think, with at least a few pretty high profile names? To that extent, I think it is a bit unusual,  creating a nice wandering around aimlessly atmosphere during the day, but with a proper headline act feel in the evening to give the day some focus. The no arena, bring your own drink, policy is also quite unusual, isn't it?

Perhaps I was just seduced by the unusually good weather and got sun stroke, but I just thought they got such a lot right, and it had such a good feel, it was worthy of comment.

50 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

That said, Bearded does seem to punch above its weight, don't you think, with at least a few pretty high profile names?

Nah. I'm not knocking who it gets - they're plenty suitable for its size - but they're in much the same ball-park as other festivals of around the same size. Like all such festivals, some years are better than others (and that's of course subjective too), dependent on who is available to book for that year.

What it does have with its acts is slightly-more genre-targeted bookings, of bands of a certain type - a little like how Beautiful Days books slightly different acts for a particular audience to other festivals of around its size. A horses-for-courses sort-of thing.