House Music

bamber

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I used to go to back by dope demand a few years ago at the music box. Stu Allan was often on. 

Decent night, but often kicked off.

I do like a rave stuff from that era, but more prefer the acid side of it.

lol My mates Butty and Grimmy used to do all the organising of them nights and play at them. They still do them. I got booked to play at that when it was at North but did not do it. It must not have gone down too well as I never got asked again (It was my own fault like).

Stu Allan is playing at a pub in Failsworth tonight. It is light years from what Carl Cox does now. Funny thing is Stu Allan was ahead of the game and was the top dog for a long time. He was the 1st person to play house music on the radio anywhere in the UK. Hes a top man. I think he is good mates with Carl Cox. Carl used to play and remix a lot of Stu's tunes as you can see with the visa one.

Stu went more mainstream (Clock, Bowlers, Maximes, Happy Hardcore) where as Carl Cox went into what you could call Techno and it paid off. It helped he was a three deck wizard though and also produced some absolute stonkers.

My mate was dj'ing with grimmy a few weeks ago. Andy Daniels. (Known as big danny). He dj'd at the Hacienda and was Hed Kandi resident for years and is a great DJ. Top guy too. You might know him.

I like the fact Coxy has never forgotten his roots too.

I cant wait for his set in the glade. He is doing an acid house set in Bezs too. I doubt Ill get to that as it would mean leaving new order early to guarantee getting in.

24 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My mate was dj'ing with grimmy a few weeks ago. Andy Daniels. (Known as big danny). He dj'd at the Hacienda and was Hed Kandi resident for years and is a great DJ. Top guy too. You might know him.

I like the fact Coxy has never forgotten his roots too.

I cant wait for his set in the glade. He is doing an acid house set in Bezs too. I doubt Ill get to that as it would mean leaving new order early to guarantee getting in.

I have never met big Danny, we kind of mixed in the same circles but have not actually ever met. Grimmy is one of my best mates, hes also playing at the pub in Failsworth today. I gave him his first proper gig many many years ago and he designed all my flyers for me, we have been good mates ever since. He comes to watch Hot Chip with me as hes my only mate who likes them.

Can't say I was ever a top dj as I was far too inconsistent. One night I would be absolutely fantastic and the next gig I could be woeful. I was my own biggest critic and far too much of a perfectionist. I would beat myself if I missed a beat and in the end I stopped doing it. I walked out on a set at one of my best mates bar this time last year as it was really not fun. My mate has not spoke to me since and I have not touched a set of decks since either. Shit happens in life I suppose.

Is the plan not to go see Joey Beltram after New Order? I thought thats what all the kool kidz were doing.

31 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I have never met big Danny, we kind of mixed in the same circles but have not actually ever met. Grimmy is one of my best mates, hes also playing at the pub in Failsworth today. I gave him his first proper gig many many years ago and he designed all my flyers for me, we have been good mates ever since. He comes to watch Hot Chip with me as hes my only mate who likes them.

Can't say I was ever a top dj as I was far too inconsistent. One night I would be absolutely fantastic and the next gig I could be woeful. I was my own biggest critic and far too much of a perfectionist. I would beat myself if I missed a beat and in the end I stopped doing it. I walked out on a set at one of my best mates bar this time last year as it was really not fun. My mate has not spoke to me since and I have not touched a set of decks since either. Shit happens in life I suppose.

Is the plan not to go see Joey Beltram after New Order? I thought thats what all the kool kidz were doing.

I have been dj'ing for a while. Im actually on at Soundcontrol playing classic trance in August.

Everyone is their own biggest critic. You are probably a lot better than you think.

Joey Beltram is my plan after New Order as I dont want to miss NO.

12 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have been dj'ing for a while. Im actually on at Soundcontrol playing classic trance in August.

Everyone is their own biggest critic. You are probably a lot better than you think.

whats that trance night at soundcontrol?

also hoping to get toJoey Beltram after NO

22 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Haha I am actually bloody fantastic when I can be arsed, just far too inconsistent. I am the Eyal Bercovic of the old skool world.

37 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

There's some flyers for the night we used to promote and play at. We had a right good doo, it was a proper diy punk ethic. Try and get the best possible dj's we could into some proper dives and only charge a fiver. We had pretty much everyone from the old skool scene apart from Ratpack who just wanted ridiculous money and every time I tried to book them their fee just went up and up. I am sure you will dig the name of the night :rofl:

I will dust the decks off one day. Was contemplating buying some new ones recently. Just not yet as I am quite enjoying getting fat and lazy.

20160514_135328_resized.jpg

Edited by eastynh
  • Upvote 1

Bloody hell , would've been at quite a few of those mate in my younger days. Thought North was a decent little venue too , all our gang used to pile in there for a good night. 

Used to go to Hippo's years ago too, Moggy was fucking unreal with some of the stuff he used to play. Clash was one of the best things i ever went to anywhere. 

34 minutes ago, northernbro said:

whats that trance night at soundcontrol?

also hoping to get toJoey Beltram after NO

Majefa. I will PM you a link if you want? Im not intro trance as much these days, but Ive played for them for years and always enjoy it.

NO then Joey Beltram will be a great night.

10 minutes ago, eastynh said:

There's some flyers for the night we used to promote and play at. We had a right good doo, it was a proper diy punk ethic. Try and get the best possible dj's we could into some proper dives and only charge a fiver. We had pretty much everyone from the old skool scene apart from Ratpack who just wanted ridiculous money and every time I tried to book them their fee just went up and up. I am sure you will dig the name of the night :rofl:

I will dust the decks off one day. Was contemplating buying some new ones recently. Just not yet as I am quite enjoying getting fat and lazy.

20160514_135328_resized.jpg

I will know people who went to your night, definitely. Manchester clubbing scene had a few familiar faces. Especially if you went to a variety of stuff, like I have. Yeah - good name!

1 hour ago, davidd said:

Bloody hell , would've been at quite a few of those mate in my younger days. Thought North was a decent little venue too , all our gang used to pile in there for a good night. 

Used to go to Hippo's years ago too, Moggy was fucking unreal with some of the stuff he used to play. Clash was one of the best things i ever went to anywhere. 

Moggy is a good lad and a mate of mine. Never has anyone made playing vinyl look as easy as Moggy. He is a super talented bloke and can mix pretty much every style.

You must be a few years older than me as I only ever went to Hippos under 16's nights on a Wednesday. I was more into Maximes, Bowlers and Step Back.

Do you remember when North was the Isobar?

Where about's you from mate? i bet you know some of our lot from NH if you went Hippos.

Edited by eastynh

Just now, eastynh said:

Moggy is a good lad and a mate of mine. Never has anyone made playing vinyl look as easy as Moggy. He is a super talented bloke and can mix pretty much every style.

You must be a few years older than me as I only ever went to Hippos under 16's nights on a Wednesday. I was more into Maximes, Bowlers and Step Back.

Haha, almost certainly mate, i'm 47. It was miles easier to get into clubs in the middle '80's - '90's . It wasn't unusual to bump into school mates at the Hacienda , even madder at places like the Thunderdome, pretty much everyone tripping and speeding their fucking tits off.

Never took to Maximes or Bowlers; Maximes usually involved aggro and Bowlers the security were usually a pain in the arse.

He really was that good, along with Jay Wearden . I've quite a few good mates who know or are friends with both of them. 

4 minutes ago, davidd said:

Haha, almost certainly mate, i'm 47. It was miles easier to get into clubs in the middle '80's - '90's . It wasn't unusual to bump into school mates at the Hacienda , even madder at places like the Thunderdome, pretty much everyone tripping and speeding their fucking tits off.

Never took to Maximes or Bowlers; Maximes usually involved aggro and Bowlers the security were usually a pain in the arse.

He really was that good, along with Jay Wearden . I've quite a few good mates who know or are friends with both of them. 

Haha I loved Maximes. Went on the last Saturday of every month for years. I only caught the arse end of the Hac and it was shit when I went.  Yellow at the Boardwalk was a better night. In fact I think there is actually a final ever Yellow on tonight somewhere in town.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Haha I loved Maximes. Went on the last Saturday of every month for years. I only caught the arse end of the Hac and it was shit when I went.  Yellow at the Boardwalk was a better night. In fact I think there is actually a final ever Yellow on tonight somewhere in town.

Yeah i'd knocked it on the head really by the end, too many wannabe gangster twats mixed with real gangster twats.

Yellow was fucking immense and the Boardwalk had a totally different vibe and bunch of people. It's the final night tonight at Sound Control , Elliot Eastwick and Jason Boardman doing duties along with Dave Haslam , can't believe i'm not making an effort really, lazy old bastard.

2 minutes ago, davidd said:

Yeah i'd knocked it on the head really by the end, too many wannabe gangster twats mixed with real gangster twats.

Yellow was fucking immense and the Boardwalk had a totally different vibe and bunch of people. It's the final night tonight at Sound Control , Elliot Eastwick and Jason Boardman doing duties along with Dave Haslam , can't believe i'm not making an effort really, lazy old bastard.

What have we become? I am going in work tonight to do 12 hours of overtime.

Indeed. I pretty much save my old extravagances for Glastonbury now, with maybe 2-3 other times a year. It's difficult to sync times with my old mates as much as anything , careers, locations and family stuff gets in the way.

Bravo on sticking a 12 hour one in on saturday too mate, not something for the faint hearted.

Edited by davidd

1 hour ago, davidd said:

Indeed. I pretty much save my old extravagances for Glastonbury now, with maybe 2-3 other times a year. It's difficult to sync times with my old mates as much as anything , careers, locations and family stuff gets in the way.

Bravo on sticking a 12 hour one in on saturday too mate, not something for the faint hearted.

I would much rather be lay in bed watching deadpool mate. It will pay for Glastonbury though.

• Upvote 1

Hi.  I'm hoping to pick your brains as you all sound really knowledgable about house music!  I'd really like to spend more time in some of the dance areas this year, but am struggling cos I'm a bit out of touch :lol: and most of the acts that have been announced so far for Silver Hayes, Block 9 etc I haven't heard of :scratchhead:.  But I'm sure some will play the sort of music I like!  Back in the day (93-96 ish) I used to go to loads of clubs - Love to Be at The Music Factory and Rise at The Leadmill in Sheffield, The Manor in Ringwood, but primarily Club UK in London, and Full Monty at Mirage in Windsor (anyone remember these?).  I like happy uplifting house with lots of vocals, something I can have a good old dance too.  I ventured to Arcadia for a bit last year but it was really heavy, but 90's style dance seems to be having a bit of a resurgence so any suggestions?  I've waded through the Spotify playlist and so far Oliver Heldens, Blonde and Stanton Warriors stand out.  Any others I should check out?  Thanks!

29 minutes ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

Hi.  I'm hoping to pick your brains as you all sound really knowledgable about house music!  I'd really like to spend more time in some of the dance areas this year, but am struggling cos I'm a bit out of touch :lol: and most of the acts that have been announced so far for Silver Hayes, Block 9 etc I haven't heard of :scratchhead:.  But I'm sure some will play the sort of music I like!  Back in the day (93-96 ish) I used to go to loads of clubs - Love to Be at The Music Factory and Rise at The Leadmill in Sheffield, The Manor in Ringwood, but primarily Club UK in London, and Full Monty at Mirage in Windsor (anyone remember these?).  I like happy uplifting house with lots of vocals, something I can have a good old dance too.  I ventured to Arcadia for a bit last year but it was really heavy, but 90's style dance seems to be having a bit of a resurgence so any suggestions?  I've waded through the Spotify playlist and so far Oliver Heldens, Blonde and Stanton Warriors stand out.  Any others I should check out?  Thanks!

If your feeling adventurous Roger Sanchez is doing a two hour set in the NYC Downlow one one night.

1 hour ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

To be honest for the line up so far there is not too much handbag house type stuff that has been announced so far. It was a similar scenario last year and then when the final line up came, there was loads of old skool and early 90's house stuff on. Hopefully when the full line up comes then there will be a bit more stuff that tickles your fancy.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

To be honest for the line up so far there is not too much handbag house type stuff that has been announced so far. It was a similar scenario last year and then when the final line up came, there was loads of old skool and early 90's house stuff on. Hopefully when the full line up comes then there will be a bit more stuff that tickles your fancy.

Ha ha, Handbag!  Haven't heard that phrase for ages!  I did used to go to a few happy hardcore nights (United Dance?) with Slipmatt, Grooverider etc but never had the stamina to go at it all night, too fast!

2 hours ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

Ha ha, Handbag!  Haven't heard that phrase for ages!  I did used to go to a few happy hardcore nights (United Dance?) with Slipmatt, Grooverider etc but never had the stamina to go at it all night, too fast!

No idea of your age and it is ungentlemanly to ask a woman to divulge it so I shall refrain from doing so. From the type of music and clubs you are referring to, I would hazard a guess you are in a similar ball park to me (37). I will say this, I set off last year with every intention of sampling the dj's and nightlife. Yet after hitting it hard every day, I was pretty much done for 2am. We tried extra hard on the Saturday night but were wandering round like zombies at 3am. It was not fun in the end. Best night was just chilling at Arcadia and taking it all in. the music was a bit crap but it did not really matter.

Anyway here is my fave ever handbag house tune

10 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

I'm looking for some new dance/house albums or compilations for the summer. Tourist's album is doing it for me at the moment. I'm also looking forward to the Dusky compilation and album (whenever that's coming).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Leon vynehall album is good if you haven't already checked it out.  Also Justin Martin album hello clouds is a nice one for the summer. 

Edited by rubenz
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, eastynh said:

Do you remember when North was the Isobar?

Where about's you from mate? i bet you know some of our lot from NH if you went Hippos.

Yeah i remember Isobar, preferred it's reincarnation as North really though. 

I'm a Gorton lad mate though i've moved now to the sunnier climes of Denton, ( like a lot of other Gortonians).  

Undoubtedly would have bumped into a lot of your crew in Hippos. We used to have some fantastic times in there. We used to have the corner near the speakers on the left of the dj as he's facing out, there were quite a few of us and we usef to arrive in dribs and drabs and congregate there.