Latitude 2012

Gingerbond

considering that last year Elbow were 2nd headliners (to coldplay) at glastonbury, and 2nd headliners (to Muse) at reading, they have a MASSIVE appeal at the moment. i havent ventured into the glasto forums for a while but i know there was a considerable clamour for them to headline, and considering the the big g is about x6 the size of latitude its a real coup for Latitude to be giving them their 1st Headline performance

Edited by Tugger2k

However, I feel that there's a little bit too much predominance of artists high up on the bill that would probably be popular at a retirement home (again Weller, Hawley, Elbow, Marling).

But then of course there might not have been too many other exciting big artists available.

:lol: She's 22 ....and is part of this new wave of "indie folky" type acts (Mumford and Sons, Noah and the Whale etc...) so how came to that conclusion I don't know...

I admit that I haven't listened that much to Elbow. The songs and live videos I'v checked out gives me the feeling of a really cheesy and tired old britpop band that have seen it's best days.

But given your support of them I will definitely give them another try. Any suggestions of an album to start with if you wanna experience a more lively side of them?

:lol: She's 22 ....and is part of this new wave of "indie folky" type acts (Mumford and Sons, Noah and the Whale etc...) so how came to that conclusion I don't know...

she was fantastic last year at green man

the saturday at latitude is perfect for me. for some its a real snore fest, but for me its chance to rest these old bones, enjoy a few ales and let hawley, marling and elbow work their magic.

with the added bonus that its an absolute shoo-in that hawley will be joing garvey and the boys for a definitive live version of The Fix

I admit that I haven't listened that much to Elbow. The songs and live videos I'v checked out gives me the feeling of a really cheesy and tired old britpop band that have seen it's best days.

But given your support of them I will definitely give them another try. Any suggestions of an album to start with if you wanna experience a more lively side of them?

I found them incredibly boring for years. Seldom Seen Kid is a bit more lively on some songs, although IMO still dull in places. They're extremely good live though, much more engaging and entertaining than I'd expected.

LondonTom: Seeing Noah & the Whale last festival summer actually made me think the crowd as well as the band were about to fall asleep.

As for Mumford & Sons I remember the very striking Mark E Smith quote:

"We were playing a festival in Dublin the other week. There was this other group, like, warming up in the next sort of chalet, and they were terrible. I said, 'Shut them c**ts up!' And they were still warming up, so I threw a bottle at them. The bands said, 'That's the Sons of Mumford' or something. 'They're number five in charts!' I just thought they were a load of retarded Irish folk singers."

they only occasionally visit the realm of the lively, but can definately mix it up live

spotify this lot

Great Expectations Grounds for Divorce Leaders of the Free World Lippy Kids Mirrorball Neat Little Rows Newborn One Day Like This Open Arms Puncture Repair Scattered Black and Whites Some Riot Starlings Station Approach The Birds The Bones of You The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver The Night Will Always Win The Stops Weather to Fly

and throw in Forget Myself, which crimminally they dont play often enough and give em a go.

kaosmark2: Thanks for the tip-off! I will try "Seldom Seen Kids".

No worries. It might be worth checking out the custom playlists suggested by others, I'd written them off after how dull I'd found Cast of Thousands and Leaders of the Free World, so I'm not the most knowledgable about them. I didn't regret giving The Seldom Seen Kid a go though, good album with several of their best tracks.

More general question, does anyone know when we'll get day splits? There's a lot of bands I want to see on the lineup, but I'm a bit worried about clashes. Still working out whether I can afford to go and whether I can find someone to drag along.

No worries. It might be worth checking out the custom playlists suggested by others, I'd written them off after how dull I'd found Cast of Thousands and Leaders of the Free World, so I'm not the most knowledgable about them. I didn't regret giving The Seldom Seen Kid a go though, good album with several of their best tracks.

More general question, does anyone know when we'll get day splits? There's a lot of bands I want to see on the lineup, but I'm a bit worried about clashes. Still working out whether I can afford to go and whether I can find someone to drag along.

i though it was may, but upon further investigation dont think well get full breakdowns and stage times till june at the earliest

i'll be putting together my playlist tonight and visiting all the acts announced so far myspaces and websites to try and get as much together as i can, will post up anything i find tommorow.

Tugger2k: Thanks a lot, that'll be of great value!

kaosmark2: I read on the official latitude forum that they usually announce the day splits in May. So might be a while..

sounds about right, the june breakdown will probably be when the post up the definitive stage times

but you can get a good guide to the times from last years clashfinder

http:///s/lat2011/?user=00ctg4.aq

Still not true, looking at them acts no not lively but it hardly means it appeals only to those in retirement homes. They are very popular with the yoof of today if you look at there fans...

I think you're taking what was probably a jokey comment too seriously :P

In my opinion Elbow have been the best band this century. Yeah, there music is not exactly lively, its not that type of music, but they put everything into their sets, especially Guy Garvey who is probably the best front men there is around, puts 100% into every gig and providing emotion and a bit of comedy to every set. Always seem humble and honoured every time they play. He makes every gig intimate, even a crowd of 60.000ish ion the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury. Listening to them live gives my goose bumps. I remember watching them at the Queens Head in 2008 (the best gig I gig I have ever been to) and there were genuinely people welling up with emotion - that's how good they can be. Many a debate has been had about their best album, for me its Seldom Seen Kid, (try the live recording they did at Abbey Road) but the earlier stuff is also brilliant - Great Expectations, Powder Blue, Newborn, Scattered Black and Whites, The Stops, there are too many to name!

In my opinion Elbow have been the best band this century. Yeah, there music is not exactly lively, its not that type of music, but they put everything into their sets, especially Guy Garvey who is probably the best front men there is around, puts 100% into every gig and providing emotion and a bit of comedy to every set. Always seem humble and honoured every time they play. He makes every gig intimate, even a crowd of 60.000ish ion the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury. Listening to them live gives my goose bumps. I remember watching them at the Queens Head in 2008 (the best gig I gig I have ever been to) and there were genuinely people welling up with emotion - that's how good they can be. Many a debate has been had about their best album, for me its Seldom Seen Kid, (try the live recording they did at Abbey Road) but the earlier stuff is also brilliant - Great Expectations, Powder Blue, Newborn, Scattered Black and Whites, The Stops, there are too many to name!

I'm amazed there's a debate. I find their prior albums really really dull. They are excellent live, but they probably wouldn't make my top 10 performances. I think there's been a fair number of better bands this century as well, just not many that have had a major level of success.

Seldom Seen Kid, (try the live recording they did at Abbey Road)

this

i fully expect strings, horns, full accompaniment seeing as its maybe not their biggest gig ever, but 1st headliner, i would expect not a stop unpulled

I'm amazed there's a debate. I find their prior albums really really dull. They are excellent live, but they probably wouldn't make my top 10 performances. I think there's been a fair number of better bands this century as well, just not many that have had a major level of success.

But that's what makes music great, different people, different tastes! I meant every word of my post but accept they are not everyone's cup of tea. For me they have been the best band around for the last 10 years, and I am proud to say it! Fair play to anyone with different views, it's why I like festivals and music generally, everyone has different likes and dislikes no one is the same, and I can find music at festivals which I have never heard of before which I end up loving.

this

i fully expect strings, horns, full accompaniment seeing as its maybe not their biggest gig ever, but 1st headliner, i would expect not a stop unpulled

They always have strings these day, and I always like how happy the violinists are when they play, they seem to be having a right good laugh!

Elbow have headlined before, Bestival a couple of years back or so

They always have strings these day, and I always like how happy the violinists are when they play, they seem to be having a right good laugh!

Elbow have headlined before, Bestival a couple of years back or so

i stand corrected

they will be awesome, and they better bloody play forget myself

last tim i heard that was at the roundhouse in 08, its my fave track of theirs, and it was a birthday gig, made my night

But that's what makes music great, different people, different tastes! I meant every word of my post but accept they are not everyone's cup of tea. For me they have been the best band around for the last 10 years, and I am proud to say it! Fair play to anyone with different views, it's why I like festivals and music generally, everyone has different likes and dislikes no one is the same, and I can find music at festivals which I have never heard of before which I end up loving.

Oh, I appreciate that. There are many bands for whom I have a favourite album but can see the strengths of others, my comment was more that I can't even see there being a reason to like the other albums more. I genuinely can't see why anyone would prefer another, at all.

But yeah, I love discovering music, I think the process of discovering music is as much a joy for me as actually listening to it. Amazing really.

i stand corrected

they will be awesome, and they better bloody play forget myself

last tim i heard that was at the roundhouse in 08, its my fave track of theirs, and it was a birthday gig, made my night

They rarely playing anything from albums pre SSK these days. station Approach and if your lucky Great Expectations but thats about it. Saying that they did play Scattered Black and Whites at their Manchester Cathedral gig at Manchester Cathedral gig last year, which was absolutely immense. I recommend a watch of them performing that song on YouTube - it sums up why I like them so much in one song!