Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

GIGS

Reviews announcements planning to go to?

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#41 rossprimary

rossprimary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

Now THIS is exciting:

AA Bondy
13th Dec 2011
The Lexington

Tickets:
www.artistticket.com/link/?w=aa+bondy

#42 acstalker

acstalker

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Saw Michael FrantI and Spearhead at Koko, Oct 23. Sound was fine, despite the fact that a wired-up Michael spent a lot of time in the audience/up in the balcony, etc.

#43 killyourtv

killyourtv

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

Any good gigs anywhere this weekend ? The standard on-line gig guides are very hit and miss.

#44 zahidf

zahidf

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Allo Darling and Darren Hayman were both very good last night. Nice to see quite a few End of Roaders around as well:-)

#45 shoebox

shoebox

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Any good gigs anywhere this weekend ? The standard on-line gig guides are very hit and miss.

MF Doom and Ghostface Killah at the Roundhouse. Sadly, I'm not going.

#46 perfectpassion

perfectpassion

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

Agree Zahidf, it was a good reunion night, and esp nice to see AM as well!!!

Firstly it was difficult to actually get past the bar area, which had turned into Santas grotto for vinyl fetishists....I managed to get hold of Howard Hughes & David Tattersall's The Lobster Boat, a Darren Hayman ep and 2 Hangover lounge eps all for a bargain deal. I had intended to go back, I'm sure that there must be something of Allo Darling I don't yet have?

My main complaint about the Scala is that it is usually full of "chatty twats", but last night was not too bad, the main problem was trying to have a conversation between bands over the music, which was a shame, as it was brilliant seeing some other EoTR faithful.

The purpose of the evening was the final 3rd of a celebration of 15 years of Fortuna Pop. First band on were The Ladybug Transistor, classic comfortable indie pop, whose latest album Clutching Stems was released in June. They were followed by The Tender Trap (Elizabeth is an ex-member) who I really wanted to like, but found annoying.

Next was Mr "who couldn't love him" Hayman, with a full band.....he was on great form.

And finally the jewel in Fortuna's crown Allo Darlin. It was another brilliant performance, with lots of singing and dancing from the crowd. A couple of new songs, which I am not sure if they played in the big top, highlighting the forthcoming new album.

#47 wackojackohighcliffe

wackojackohighcliffe

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

Emily Barker at Forest Arts tonight.

#48 RedRockRick

RedRockRick

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

Agree Zahidf, it was a good reunion night, and esp nice to see AM as well!!!

Firstly it was difficult to actually get past the bar area, which had turned into Santas grotto for vinyl fetishists....I managed to get hold of Howard Hughes & David Tattersall's The Lobster Boat, a Darren Hayman ep and 2 Hangover lounge eps all for a bargain deal. I had intended to go back, I'm sure that there must be something of Allo Darling I don't yet have?

My main complaint about the Scala is that it is usually full of "chatty twats", but last night was not too bad, the main problem was trying to have a conversation between bands over the music, which was a shame, as it was brilliant seeing some other EoTR faithful.

The purpose of the evening was the final 3rd of a celebration of 15 years of Fortuna Pop. First band on were The Ladybug Transistor, classic comfortable indie pop, whose latest album Clutching Stems was released in June. They were followed by The Tender Trap (Elizabeth is an ex-member) who I really wanted to like, but found annoying.

Next was Mr "who couldn't love him" Hayman, with a full band.....he was on great form.

And finally the jewel in Fortuna's crown Allo Darlin. It was another brilliant performance, with lots of singing and dancing from the crowd. A couple of new songs, which I am not sure if they played in the big top, highlighting the forthcoming new album.

Just about right. I missed a chunk of TLT, unfortunately, having last seen them in 2004(?). I couldn't understand why The Tender Trap were not up first: they're both annoying and crap (characteristics equally evident from their album). Luckily, I ended up queuing at the bar for all but the first and last of their "songs". That 15 minute happy birthday film also overstayed its welcome by a little over 14 minutes, but otherwise, yes, pretty fun evening.

#49 wackojackohighcliffe

wackojackohighcliffe

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

Emily Barker at Forest Arts tonight.

Which was really good. Amazing voice, songwriting and instrumentation. Would reccommend it to anyone.

#50 RedRockRick

RedRockRick

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Which was really good. Amazing voice, songwriting and instrumentation. Would reccommend it to anyone.

Hmmm. Clearly a strict curfew at Forest Arts.

#51 RedRockRick

RedRockRick

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

Rod Picott @ Farncombe Music Club 28/10
Rod Picott @ Twickfolk, Twickenham 30/10
Excellent as ever. The Cabbage Patch at Twickenham had a better room and generated a better atmosphere, also two decent sets as opposed to one shortish long one: back home on Friday in time for the later re-run of The Walking Dead. Rod's latest album, Welding Burns, is consistently good, but you can only go right with any of his stuff.

#52 wackojackohighcliffe

wackojackohighcliffe

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

Hmmm. Clearly a strict curfew at Forest Arts.

It's an arts centre in the New Forest - what would you expect?

#53 perfectpassion

perfectpassion

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Try Agnes Obel @ Union Chapel on monday night.... Her album Philharmonics was probably in my top three last year. She has been criminally overlooked so far in the UK. A danish pianist described as indie-folk, it would be a mistake to miss her in this beautiful venue.

#54 MattL80

MattL80

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

I'd had my eye on that for a while, but forgot about it. I've seen her both solo and with the RCH, really good both times.
The only gig I've been to at the Forest Arts was very good too, I'd like to go back. Very local to you too (Or so I would assume by your username).

#55 wackojackohighcliffe

wackojackohighcliffe

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

Even closer than my username would suggest. It's a good one for pretty relaxed bands and it has an amazing line-up of comedians, all doing their warm-up tours. Al Murray's been there, Dara O'Briain and I'm see Chris Addison with a few friends next saturday. Always good value.

#56 killyourtv

killyourtv

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

Agnes Obel wonderful at Hare and Hounds in Brum last night - great tip PP. Piano/cello/harp with occasional guitar produced a beguiling sound, and the odd classic. The "new song" (Fuel to fire ?) was a particular highlight, but I would have paid just to hear the cellist.

Hare & Hounds is a typical room above a pub (very good one), with decent enough sound. Crowd of about 100 was almost reverential - up to EOTR standard. A definite Scandinavian contingent was evident.

Would defintely see her again if I get the chance. Picked up the vinyl of Philharmonics which I'm looking forward to exploring.

#57 talulah

talulah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Roy Harper/Jonathan Wilson on Saturday night at the Royal Festival Hall. An incredibly emotional evening celebrating Roy's 70th birthday. Roy began by paying tribute to Bert Jansch and David Bedford and set the tone for the evening. Jonathan's acoustic performance was excellent and the acoustics in the Hall certainly suited him. A great mix of music and chat from Roy - laughter and tears along the way. Special guests were Nick Harper (Roy's son), Joanna Newsom (I'm not a great fan but her duet with Roy on 'another day' was absolutely beautiful - check it out on YouTube) and Jimmy Page who was, of course, simply fantastic.

Only got my ticket on Friday at 5.20pm! Glad I kept going back to the Southbank website to check for returns ..

#58 MrSimonW

MrSimonW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

Antlers on Sunday at the Borderline. Tremendous set, mostly drawn from this year's Burst Apart album. They've expanded their sound since their 2010 EOTR appearance, and were pretty epic for much of the evening. Could easily see them headlining the Garden Stage or Big Top next year if they're in the country. So glad I got to go to this as well as it meant I could miss Koko...

#59 Dibford and Son

Dibford and Son

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Even closer than my username would suggest. It's a good one for pretty relaxed bands and it has an amazing line-up of comedians, all doing their warm-up tours. Al Murray's been there, Dara O'Briain and I'm see Chris Addison with a few friends next saturday. Always good value.

Gutted I missed this being as it is very close to me as well( about a mile! ). If you see any other good ones, send me a message, I don't always remember to read the local paper.

Edited by Dibford and Son, 07 November 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#60 wackojackohighcliffe

wackojackohighcliffe

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

I will do my best to. Although I think you can get them to start sending you their catalogue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users