Books

Guest chappiepunk

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im reading P.S I Love You by Cecelia Ahern.

its a very sad book...makes me cry nearly everytime i read it. its about a women who's husband dies but he writes her a little note which she has to open one by one every month...

im reading P.S I Love You by Cecelia Ahern.

its a very sad book...makes me cry nearly everytime i read it. its about a women who's husband dies but he writes her a little note which she has to open one by one every month...

On my hols I got a chance to read loads, must make more of an effort to keep it up cos I do love getting involved in a good book:)

The best one was Labryrinth by Kate Mosse which is really good, it's about the holy grail & flicks between the past & present, liked that one.

Also read Snowflower & the Secret Fan about girls growing up in China when they used to bind their feet - quite shocking to be honest, I didn't realise exactly what was involved & bits of it were very graphic, and sad. In the Fold by Rachel Cusk, was ok, but nothing special. And I'm just finishing Friendly Fire by Patrick Gale (got a bit confused and thought it was Mike Gale who wrote My Legendary Girlfriend but it's not at all, very different!)

have finished reading Billy by Pamela Stephenson, funny! then read Bravemouth straight after, i kept randomly laughing in the tea room at work while reading it. It would be one of those moments of deadly silence then i would be in stitches! :blink:;) (books where about Billy Connolly by the way!!) Have now started reading a book about Che Guevara (dont think i spelt that right!!)

Its my brothers birthday soon and i was going to get a book for him, any blokey type books folk can recommend? :P

I liked that Billy Connolly book too :blink:

A good 'blokie' book I read quite a while ago is Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer, it's about the true story about a lad in America who decided to go off on his own hitchhiking in Alaska, but it's quite sad. What about an autobiography?

Have recently finished felidae by Akif Pirincci. I really enjoyed it - it is about a cat detective that has to find out who is murdering the local cats. And it's written from a cat's point of view. I know it probably sounds horribly twee but it isn't and it is a great story that has been translated (from German) very well.

At the moment I'm reading a travel guide to south africa cos I need to make up my mind what I fancy doing when I'm there (apart from eating veggie food and seeing penguins).

Currently reading Nick Hornby's 'How To Be Good' and as usual its a great read - all about how someone would be regarded if they were to try to be completely selfless.

Recently read:

Ben Mezrich's 'Ugly Americans' - Good book, but not as good as 'Bringing Down The House.

Dean Koontz's 'Frankenstein' - Excellent trashy horror.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera

What can be said. The is a work of post-modern genius. The man fills in the gap that Nietzsche left open.

Culture and Imperialism - Edward Said

Inspired by so many Isreal type threads. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Nation and Narration - Homi Bhabha

As above. Exposes the true reasons for conflict and ill-tolerance which are governed by the language of nationalism and its myth of the nation state.

The Good Person of Szechwan - Bertolt Brecht

Brings a much needed humility to the proceedings and a sprinkle of genuine goodness back to the table.

Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll

I like to read this and its prequel at least once every year. I named my daughter after 'Alice' so I always picture her talking to the chess pieces. And why not.

Edited by Cultseeker

Im actively not reading the Da Vinci Code. Im not just not reading it but picking up copeies scowling for a bit and then putting it down. If i see someone reading it, i ask them what they are reading. They expect me to engage in conversation and I just turn away or look at my finger nails.

Just finished Walden by Henry David Thoreau at the the third attempt. Tis really is a great book and truly thought provoking and life changing. Defnitely a lt could be learnt from it in this day and age of Big Brother and Heat magazine.

I really want to pick up a copy of Philip Roths everyman. Like desperately as he is probably my favourite writer ever but I think it might be impossible in China. Im moving to korea next week so i have my fingers crossed

Being on holiday meant tonnes of time for reading over this past week:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - I adooooored his first book (Everything is Illuminated) and this one is just as quirky but didn't have the same effect on me. It's very unusual and a bit confusing and in places extremely funny and extremely sad but there's something a bit not-quite-right with it - a bit too knowing or clever. And the little kid annoyed me by the end.

The Time Traveller's Wife - Expected to hate it (it was described as a romance novel, bleurgh) and spent far too much time thinking logically about the time-travel plot, particularly towards the end with the parking lot chapters (stupid idea by me!) but absolutely adored it. Loved Henry's character; witty, charming, fabulous. Cried and cried at the end.

The Kite Runner - Can't remember the name of the author for this one either and I'm sure a lot of people have read it but it's a wonderful book, terribly sad but heartwarming at the same time and I loved the main character, despite his faults. Can't recommend this one highly enough :blink:

And currently reading (an airport buy, gotta love those 2 hour delays...) Ian McEwan's Saturday - so far so good, bit wordy, typical McEwan opening and attention to detail - I think I'll love it as much as I did Atonement, if I can find the patience to persevere!

• 7 months later...

What book(s) are you currently reading? The Antichrist by Nietzche. Cultseeker recommended it to me. I've literally read the introduction. The History of God - Karen Armstrong, which I've read previously, but am re-reading again. J G Ballards new one awaits too ;)

Last book read? James Herbert - The Secret of Crickley Hall. Terrifying-ish.

Favourite author? DNA

Favourite book? HHGTTG

At the moment I'm reading:

'Mao' by Jung Chang, and also 'Foreign Babes in Beijing' by Rachel DeWoskin

The former is a detailed biography of Mao's life, which is quite heavy-going so am complimenting it with 'lighter' books. The latter is a true story about a foreign lass who goes to work in Beijing in PR and ends up acting in one of their prime-time soap operas called 'Foreign Babes in Beijing'...she goes on about the culture shock, the differences, how the West is portrayed, and so far, I can relate 100%.

Yesterday and the day before I read 'Street Kid' by Judy Westwater. Really easy-going, and sad, but just another one of those 'poor, abandoned kid' books that all blend into one.

The Time Traveller's Wife - Expected to hate it (it was described as a romance novel, bleurgh) and spent far too much time thinking logically about the time-travel plot, particularly towards the end with the parking lot chapters (stupid idea by me!) but absolutely adored it. Loved Henry's character; witty, charming, fabulous. Cried and cried at the end.

The Kite Runner - Can't remember the name of the author for this one either and I'm sure a lot of people have read it but it's a wonderful book, terribly sad but heartwarming at the same time and I loved the main character, despite his faults. Can't recommend this one highly enough :)

Edited by Atlanteanlost