Books

Guest chappiepunk

I'd better do this properly, rather than the slapdash answer I gave yesterday.

What book are you currently reading? Fortysomthing by Nigel Williams

Last book read? Probably The Da Vinci Code

Favourite author? Bill Bryson/Pete McCarthy, also Terry Pratchett

Favourite book? Notes From A Small Island

Cant read? Harry Potter. It's a kids book with, lets be honest, some fairly limited plot behind it.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah no, it's sublime. The Prisoner of Azkaban is brilliant. I can't read Harry Potter to my son without getting all dramatic and acting out the dialogue, and crying over the sad bits. Mind, it's getting a bit too grown up and miserable now, I preferred it when it was more Terry Pratchetty. :lol:

What book are you currently reading?

A Staggering Work of Heart Breaking Genius by Dave Eggers.

It's a marmite book - you'll either love his style or loathe it but I utterly love it.

Last book read?

Do you know, I actually can't remember!! I think it was Amsterdam by Ian McEwan but I have been dipping in and out and not settling to anything for the last sixth months. It's been a while. Damn my English degree, after I finished that I never went back to books with the same zest I used to have for reading.

Favourite author?

Margeret Atwood. Or maybe Ian McEwan. Depends when you ask me.

Favourite book?

The Blind Assassin by Margeret Atwood or Atonement by Ian McEwan. I really wish I was back at uni so I could write an essay about both of them together (English students, take note - I can help)!!!!

Can't read?

The Da Vinci Code or anything else by Dan Brown. I just plain refuse.

Edited by lynz_star

recently read the Harry Potter saga. Wasn't too bad I thought, may read 3-6 again before christmas.

Just finished A Short History of Nearly Everything, which was pretty cool. some interesting facts, I'll probably re read this at some point too.

To start tonight/tomorrow Thud by T Pratchett.

Favourite author~ Clive Barker when he wrote horror, Phil Rickman, Pratchet and old style ghost stories by the likes of Dickens, James etc.

Favourite book~ Im currently re-reading Imajica by Clive Barker and it rocks . Next up Everville and The Great and secret Show Im in a Clive Barker frame of mind.

I buy books and put them on a pile to be read and Im just running out. Im down to Dylans Biograph. Any suggestions for a lover of horror and fantasy (can cope with a little sci/fi thrown in.)

?

What book are you currently reading?

A Staggering Work of Heart Breaking Genius by Dave Eggers.

It's a marmite book - you'll either love his style or loathe it but I utterly love it.

Last book read?

Do you know, I actually can't remember!! I think it was Amsterdam by Ian McEwan but I have been dipping in and out and not settling to anything for the last sixth months. It's been a while. Damn my English degree, after I finished that I never went back to books with the same zest I used to have for reading.

Favourite author?

Margeret Atwood. Or maybe Ian McEwan. Depends when you ask me.

Favourite book?

The Blind Assassin by Margeret Atwood or Atonement by Ian McEwan. I really wish I was back at uni so I could write an essay about both of them together (English students, take note - I can help)!!!!

Can't read?

The Da Vinci Code or anything else by Dan Brown. I just plain refuse.

Edited by bunique

How can you say that?! Atonement and Enduring Love are brilliantly written. There's another short story about a couple abroad that I love too, can't remember exactly what it was. Pfft, gobshite to you mister!

How can you say that?! Atonement and Enduring Love are brilliantly written. There's another short story about a couple abroad that I love too, can't remember exactly what it was. Pfft, gobshite to you mister!

Edited by shellyann

Favourite author~ Clive Barker when he wrote horror, Phil Rickman, Pratchet and old style ghost stories by the likes of Dickens, James etc.

Favourite book~ Im currently re-reading Imajica by Clive Barker and it rocks . Next up Everville and The Great and secret Show Im in a Clive Barker frame of mind.

I buy books and put them on a pile to be read and Im just running out. Im down to Dylans Biograph. Any suggestions for a lover of horror and fantasy (can cope with a little sci/fi thrown in.)

?

Ijust feel that his storylines are the really strenuous to get through. When i was reading Enduring Love, i simply couldn't belive what was happening. Everything just seemed to be far fetched. As if a mentally ill, highly religous bloke, with no social skills have the contacts to hire a hitman. Admittedly, this is the only book i have read of his, but ive discussed this with other people and they have said the same about his other books.

Im not having a go at his style of writing, which is good, i just think his stories are a bit implausible.

?

Me too - I've read a couple but just can't seem to get into it.

He's got a new book out - Anansi Boys - following on from American Gods

Thanks for recomending some bykergrl. Good to find not one but two authers works to have a go at.

• 1 month later...

Just read the fantastic Thomas Covenant new book - 25 years since i read the first one - still superb, still impossible to put down. The Runes of Earth by Stephen Donaldson is him back at his best writing - and there's 2 more books to come!!!! Yay! If you liked the Unbeliever sixology (yeah i know there were at least two others) you'll love this.

Edited by 5co77ie

Currently reading: A Beautiful Mind - Sylvia Nasar, The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle and Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil (but only in small doses - it give me brain ache!)

I think the last book I read was Cry Hard and Swim - Jacqueline Spring. I read it before, years ago - think it helped back then. This time round, I spent half my time picking holes in it and getting cross!!

Edited by achoo

I'm feeling very rightous as I have donated a huge bag of books to the swap-a-book scheme that we have at work. I've got 2 more huge bags in the car but I couldn't carry them all down to work in one go!

Currently reading - designing useability by Jakob Nielsen (geeky web book)

Just read the fantastic Thomas Covenant new book - 25 years since i read the first one - still superb, still impossible to put down. The Runes of Earth by Stephen Donaldson is him back at his best writing - and there's 2 more books to come!!!! Yay! If you liked the Unbeliever sixology (yeah i know there were at least two others) you'll love this.

I finished Perdido street station by china mieville a couple of weeks ago - it was very good, fantasy with a sort of sci-fi feel. I've got Iron council to read (found it in a 2nd hand book shop) but I'm not sure if they're the sort of books that need to be read in order, or if they're just set in the same city.

I'm hoping I'll get the new thomas covenant for christmas - the sooner i read it the longer I'll have to wait for the next one!

Just finished Dreams of Flesh and sand by WT Quick (another 2nd hand book shop buy, published about 1979 I think) That was much better than I expected, with certain similarities to a certain wachowski brothers film series. I've got the sequel to read now.

just finished Where rainbow ends by cecelia Ahern..shes got to be one of my favourite writers...her other book p.s i love you was amazing!