Books

Guest chappiepunk

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Simple Art of Murder by Raymond Chandler.

He invented Pulp Fiction and reinvigorated the detective / crime genre with that essay. It's the seminal text that begun the exploration into 'cool' - a crassly overlooked and reduced concept. It will make sense of Tarrantino and the likes.

I have never really got into Alexandre Dumas, but as I read a staple diet of what I fear you guys would term pulp fiction it is probably not a surprise. Have just finished reading The Skin Gods by Richard Montanari which was pretty good, almost all the books I read are murder/crime/thriller types. I only have a James Patterson book to finish and then I have nothing left to read!! Any suggestions?? I will read almost anything.

No Sifi, that's not what I'm suggesting.

You can tell how good a car is by looking at it, yes? Comparing it to other cars etc, yes? However, you don't know where it's come from, what it's meaning is, why it is different until you study it's origins, yes?

That's what I was suggesting. Resevoir Dogs is taken from A Simple Art of Murder.

I've just read those two.

Celestine Prophecy is terrible. The guy has no idea how to write. The expert on the plane who suggests that history has never been looked at from a cultural perspective - REALLY! What a great leap into fantasy that was.

Good call.

I am a humungous fan of Terry Pratchett & have read all of the disc word books. I lost a good whack of them over the years what with lending them to mates & moving house etc, i shall need to rebuild my collection.

Good Omens is also a damn good read a rather amusing take on the end of the world which includesd a new horseman of the appocalypse

I am a humungous fan of Terry Pratchett & have read all of the disc word books. I lost a good whack of them over the years what with lending them to mates & moving house etc, i shall need to rebuild my collection.

Good Omens is also a damn good read a rather amusing take on the end of the world which includesd a new horseman of the appocalypse

got soacked going to the library only yo find it was shut could have sworn it was Wednesdays they shut, oh well will have to try again next week. Looks like I will be rereading something rather than a new book - I will keep the book you recommeded on the list cultseeker. Anyone else got any recommendations :P

Me too I love the discworld, my husband and I are both massive fans of pratchett and have a lot of doubles of the paperbacks. If you fancy swapping some books, instead of re purchasing them all I am interested - I can PM you a list of all our doubles Wullie :P

Edited by minute5072

Oh my god your right how could I have forgotton the Librarian :P yes love him, and don't forget cutmeownthroat Dibbler (Hmm not sure now thats his name) I tell ya what if your going to glasto or Leeds tell me one that you don't have and I will bring it for you :lol:

Yeah good omens is great, there been talk of them making a film of it, but I haven't found anything for ages now :) I like interesting times, I really enjoyed The Hogfather when it was on telly over christmas too.

Is there anyone out there whos read the Deptford Mice??