Bloc Party - Other Stage 2024

glimmers_of_hope

39 minutes ago, hughes21 said:

Just announced they are playing Silent alarm and greatest hits in Birmingham on the friday

It would be weird for them to be playing SA + Hits at their dates this year except Glasto. purely from a practical level it will be what they are rehearsing.  SA is just shy of 1 hour I think so maybe you drop a couple of tracks from it for a couple of other singles.  I've been listening to a lot of SA recently and it still holds up as a really good album all the way through.  You would probably want to change the order for it live though rather than a straight start to end run through. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2024 at 3:19 PM, glimmers_of_hope said:

That is exactly how I feel.  On that last tour I found it so hard to care about the new stuff...but loved hearing the old stuff.  They are one of the only bands where I feel like this, I usually have very high acceptance of bands playing new and less popular stuff.

The problem with Bloc Party is that the drop off in quality following Silent Alarm is imo severe.  Am sure I was shocked by how bland the second album stuff was.  Then things like "Flux" seemed irritating at the time, but actually I quite like it now - it may have been a much better direction to go in.  I think "Flux" was actually rushed out because the 2nd album had flopped.. they did a silent alarm set at a Glasgow summer gig a few years ago.  As other shave said I would expect a Glastonbury set to be fairly Silent Alarm heavy in any event.

Edited by Johndenis

2 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

It would be weird for them to be playing SA + Hits at their dates this year except Glasto. purely from a practical level it will be what they are rehearsing.  SA is just shy of 1 hour I think so maybe you drop a couple of tracks from it for a couple of other singles.  I've been listening to a lot of SA recently and it still holds up as a really good album all the way through.  You would probably want to change the order for it live though rather than a straight start to end run through. 

keep everything else + SA hits, then drop the worse stuff / less well known to make it fit an hour and you've got the perfect festival set

30 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

The problem with Bloc Party is that the drop off in quality following Silent Alarm is imo severe.  Am sure I was shocked by how bland the second album stuff was.  Then things like "Flux" seemed irritating at the time, but actually I quite like it now - it may have been a much better direction to go in.  I think "Flux" was actually rushed out because the 2nd album had flopped.. they did a silent alarm set at a Glasgow summer gig a few years ago.  As other shave said I would expect a Glastonbury set to be fairly Silent Alarm heavy in any event.

I love A weekend in the city too but after that it's very meh

28 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I love A weekend in the city too but after that it's very meh

Yeah weekend is pretty good, and when I listened to it last week for the first time in ages I enjoyed it because I hadn't heard it for so long.  So yeah, if the singles from that were in the set I would be happy.  I remember enjoying Intimacy when it was released but listening to it now it does feel rushed and I don't like the sound to be honest.

On 4/23/2024 at 3:22 PM, glimmers_of_hope said:

Yeah weekend is pretty good, and when I listened to it last week for the first time in ages I enjoyed it because I hadn't heard it for so long.  So yeah, if the singles from that were in the set I would be happy.  I remember enjoying Intimacy when it was released but listening to it now it does feel rushed and I don't like the sound to be honest.

I love Intimacy and prefer it to Weekend. Good bonus tracks too. Their Other stage headline set during that era looked great. For me Weekend starts strong but fizzles out a bit. 7.18 is my favourite Bloc Party song though. 

Got tickets to Crystal Palace so would prob prefer a mixed set at Glasto, but not too fussed either way. 

• Upvote 1

I loved weekend in the city and still do now. Think the first and second album are both classics. I enjoyed intimacy at the time but not something I’ve ever gone back to like I would with the other 2.