Highlights

WS_Jack_III

Music-wise Skindred were probably the only band my missus, 7 year old and me agreed on. Fantastic set. Johnny Marr, Jess Silk and Samantics were also brilliant. Didn't see anybody I didn't enjoy...but lots of just 'OK' stuff. 

Saw 'The Big Lie' in the Rebel Tent, great watch. 

Fair play to the organisers for showing the England game. 

29 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Music-wise Skindred were probably the only band my missus, 7 year old and me agreed on. Fantastic set. Johnny Marr, Jess Silk and Samantics were also brilliant. Didn't see anybody I didn't enjoy...but lots of just 'OK' stuff. 

Saw 'The Big Lie' in the Rebel Tent, great watch. 

Fair play to the organisers for showing the England game. 

Similar here, didn't see anyone I haven't seen before, and they were all average sets. Skindred was great

The levs were a little smashed / ropey but that's not unusual 

35 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Samantics was the highlight by far.................................. and I don't just mean the set but chatting to him and Hanna on Thursday night at the Magic Teapot and then chatting more to him after his set and getting my hat signed.

Nice. I had a brief chat with him while he was getting a coffee en route to the bimble.  He seemed genuinely humbled by all the love he got for his big top set. He deserves the success he’s having

4 hours ago, GNR said:

Similar here, didn't see anyone I haven't seen before, and they were all average sets. Skindred was great

The levs were a little smashed / ropey but that's not unusual 

It feels a bit samey...particularly this year which I guess in a way is part of the appeal. Think next year unless they get likes of Flaming Lips, Pixies etc will probably give it a swerve. For me Bearded has more strength in depth in terms of newer bands, 'unexpected' headliners and old faves so will be the one we buy tickets for before the line up is announced, BD will be a wait and see. 

• Like 1

agree that it wasn't a vintage year for music (a good one for vibes though)

Skindred were fantastic - saw them at Bearded as well, and this is the second festival running where they've been the best act by miles. Started dreading the worst when Brother Paul from the Waterboys did that horrendous keytar solo, but once they got him on a leash the rest of the set was really good. Suede were very good, and I enjoyed Justin & Dean a lot (but I was always going to).

Suppose the big disappointment is that there was nobody new to me that I was blown away by - the closest would be Nogood Boyo, who were loads of fun.

4 hours ago, riverwise said:

agree that it wasn't a vintage year for music (a good one for vibes though)

Skindred were fantastic - saw them at Bearded as well, and this is the second festival running where they've been the best act by miles. Started dreading the worst when Brother Paul from the Waterboys did that horrendous keytar solo, but once they got him on a leash the rest of the set was really good. Suede were very good, and I enjoyed Justin & Dean a lot (but I was always going to).

Suppose the big disappointment is that there was nobody new to me that I was blown away by - the closest would be Nogood Boyo, who were loads of fun.

Yeah, Suede did well considering the dwindling crowd and howling gale! 

Had a lovely conversation with a slightly older couple stood next to us for Skindred. They were waiting for Proclaimers (they hadn't heard about the cancellation and seemed very confused when they started covering '500 Miles'). They had never heard of Skindred (I had to repeat 'Skindred' about 5 times when they asked their name). By about halfway through the set the woman in particular was going absolutely batsh*t! Her hubby wanted to get a coffee near the end and was refusing to leave...thats when you know you're watching something a bit special.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:08 PM, Flaminglippy said:

It feels a bit samey...

Sadly that's the point with BD

It's what the majority of the demographic want, old hippies/indies/punks/folkies who haven't moved on

The Little Big Top is just an after thought to keep the kids of the oldies happy.

The problem with BD is that there's a "missing generation" between the youngsters and the oldies.

42 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's what the majority of the demographic want, old hippies/indies/punks/folkies who haven't moved on

The Little Big Top is just an after thought to keep the kids of the oldies happy.

The problem with BD is that there's a "missing generation" between the youngsters and the oldies.

When I went in 2021 a lot of the people I encountered were people who went to the bigger festivals (Glastonbury, Reading, Monsters of Rock etc)  in the 80s/90s/early 00s but had got too old for those, but still wanted to go to something each year and this seems to fit the bill.

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

When I went in 2021 a lot of the people I encountered were people who went to the bigger festivals (Glastonbury, Reading, Monsters of Rock etc)  in the 80s/90s/early 00s but had got too old for those, but still wanted to go to something each year and this seems to fit the bill.

Bet you the majority are no older than me

It's a state of mind

On 8/29/2023 at 11:50 AM, Skip997 said:

I think you're right. That being the case as time goes on the core demographic will be less and less inclined to go due to their age (I am 50 myself) and it will inevitably die off. Maybe thats what they intend, will they just call it day when The Levs hang up their boots? Not suggesting for a second they should turn it into Reading or Wireless but a few more up and coming artists might drag a few more youngsters in to make it look less like a Saga holiday camp. 

Still had a great weekend mind! And the people were in very large part the main reason for that so ignore me! 

Edited by Flaminglippy

1 minute ago, Flaminglippy said:

Not suggesting for a second they should turn it into Reading or Wireless but a few more up and coming artists might drag a few more youngsters in to make it look less like a Saga holiday camp. 

Spot on.

Problem is most of the acts booked for the Main Stage and The Big Top have some connection with or are mates with the Levellers (this is why several acts play every other year). Not sure they have many connections with "up and coming" artists.

I know this because I'm involved in the program design and layout.

22 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Spot on.

Problem is most of the acts booked for the Main Stage and The Big Top have some connection with or are mates with the Levellers (this is why several acts play every other year). Not sure they have many connections with "up and coming" artists.

I know this because I'm involved in the program design and layout.

To be fair, if anybody was organising a festival why wouldn't you put on bands that you are mates with, are obviously good people and you sell out year after year when other festivals are folding weekly?? 

We booked through Seetickets 2021, they literally got delivered a day or two before the festival so I was in a mad panic (they are awful unless its etickets). Had a great weekend at the festival but the booking experience put me off booking for 2022 so went elsewhere. Was absolutely fuming when BD announced DEADLETTER and Bib Vylan who I absolutely love live. 

Basically I am pissed off DEADLETTER and Bob Vylan weren't on this year! 

Edited by Flaminglippy

• 2 months later...