Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

10 hours ago, On The Blend said:

This sounds bizarre. So, the whole show stopped and there’s no music and she’s just down the front signing stuff? Or was there like a weird little interval that was announced? Was it silent? 

9 hours ago, sandorbeni said:

There was music playing in the background. If I remember correctly they played the Burnt Norton interlude while she was down there taking selfies with the fans.

As @sandorbenisays, the music continued but she was signing album covers etc for very excited 'fans'.

I say 'fans' because a friend of ours was near the front and they insist that around 20 or 30 people were ushered to the front of the stage just before she came on. All of them were holding vinyls. She's adamant that they were actors and the whole thing was set up,

Anyone booked to fly to Budapest with Easyjet from the UK might want to check their booking. Ours flights have just been cancelled as they no longer fly in and out of Budapest on a Tuesday or Wednesday 😞

Edited by billybigballs

7 hours ago, billybigballs said:

As @sandorbenisays, the music continued but she was signing album covers etc for very excited 'fans'.

I say 'fans' because a friend of ours was near the front and they insist that around 20 or 30 people were ushered to the front of the stage just before she came on. All of them were holding vinyls. She's adamant that they were actors and the whole thing was set up,

I really doubt that, a friend of mine was at that gig and they were like 5 people with vinyls and they were not actors, just super hardcore fans queueing since like 4am 😂 There were more people with stuff to sign but I really dont think anyone was an actress/actor

1 hour ago, nitschd said:

I really doubt that, a friend of mine was at that gig and they were like 5 people with vinyls and they were not actors, just super hardcore fans queueing since like 4am 😂 There were more people with stuff to sign but I really dont think anyone was an actress/actor

Are we talking about the same gig? Latitude Festival in 2019?

If we are, then you're friend is wrong, there was absolutely at least 20 people there with vinyls etc.

Edited by billybigballs

18 hours ago, QuintenH said:

Maybe some artist flying over to Europe? Post Malone

Screenshot_2024-01-09-20-58-16-59_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg

I dream about RHCP headlining Sziget but I don't have any big hopes for that to happen. 😁 I'm pretty sure that if they will be booked, there will be many people at the concert, maybe as many as there were at Billie Eilish and Imagine Dragons. As far as I remember, when RHCP were last time in Budapest, they sold out the Budapest Arena in 2 consecutive days.

Oh, I just saw that they also played in 2022 at Puskas Ferenc stadium which was also sold out.

Furthermore, their Californication album will turn 25 years old. It would be amazing from PR & marketing point of view if everyone could celebrate both the album and the 30th edition Sziget, on the Island of Freedom.

Edited by #1SzigetFan

3 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

I dream about RHCP headlining Sziget but I don't have any big hopes for that to happen. 😁 I'm pretty sure that if they will be booked, there will be many people at the concert, maybe as many as there were at Billie Eilish and Imagine Dragons. As far as I remember, when RHCP were last time in Budapest, they sold out the Budapest Arena in 2 consecutive days.

Oh, I just saw that they also played in 2022 at Puskas Ferenc stadium which was also sold out.

Furthermore, their Californication album will turn 25 years old. It would be amazing from PR & marketing point of view if everyone could celebrate both the album and the 30th edition Sziget, on the Island of Freedom.

I think the organisers need to pull something a little special out of the bag for their next announcement.

In 2019 their big names were Foo Fighters and Ed Sheeran.

In 2022 they had Dua Lipa and Arctic Monkeys.

In 2023 it was Imagine Dragons and Billie Eilish.

In 2024 I guess it's Fred Again.. but he is headlining everywhere this summer, so they definitely need a Killers, RHCP or similar. This is a festival who almost got Eminem in 2020, so getting Sam Smith just doesn't cut it for 2024......no matter how many streams he has!

• Upvote 3

On 1/5/2024 at 3:51 PM, Newjem said:

Yungblud is not in Slovakia or something. If you mean Grape, that was last year so he’s out.

Frequency! He's doing Frequency in Austria 3 days after Sziget. That's about 3 hours from Budapest. I knew he was up to something I just didn't remember where.

3 minutes ago, kristofm said:

We've seen 1-2 bands do a double, that's why it made me think, but it's very rare indeed.

I'm really hoping we see NBT in the next announcement. They are in Europe, doing festivals all around the time of Sziget.

They went down a storm last year, and declared their love of the festival on stage

So, if an act loves the festival like that, just because they played one year shouldn't necessarily be a barrier to playing again the following year. Unless, you know, it's Macklemore.

• Upvote 1

So here's my short summary:

Touring in August (outside the UK):

Two Door Cinema Club: Playing at Grape Festival, Slovakia, at the time of Sziget

Idles: playing in Oyafestivalen that shares many names with Sziget (already played at Sziget a few years ago)

Kenya Grace: playing in Austria 3 days after Sziget, in Finland at some point between 9-11 Aug (3-5th Sziget day). Likely for the last day(s).

The Offspring: playing in Austria 3 days after Sziget

Placebo: Playing in Germany both on the 10th and the 16th of August, could be an unlikely but possible addition for the first days of Sziget.

The Kooks: Playing in Germany on the 16-18th, been to Sziget 3 times

Mando Diao: Playing in Germany on the 16-18th, been to Sziget 4 times

Flogging Molly: Playing in Germany in Aug 16-18th, been to Sziget 4 times

Denzel Curry: a bit more unlikely as he was before, does Flow Festival on the 9th but flies back to London for the 11th, maybe a potential name to make up for 2020.

The Smile: Only likely because of Flow Festival in Scandinavia, don't know much more

Leaks mentioned they are being looked at (/negotiations ongoing):

Lana Del Rey

Catfish and the Bottlemen

Charli XCX

Keane

The Strokes / Queens of the Stone Age

Played last year but are around and available:

Nothing But Thieves: Grapes

Yungblud: Frequency

• Thanks 2

Okay I understand I'm the last person you all want to hear from due to my previous pranks. Understand that I only did that to try and get Leaks to spill the beans. Not sure it worked.

I am a Sziget fan. Been every year since 2017 and I've got to say that however you look at this first announcement it is awful. I'm sure we've all been listening to the many acts we've never heard of before and thinking we would go to see them. But ask yourself how many acts are you truly excited to see?

I wonder if the under 21 offer has been too successful and left organisers with nowhere near as much income as previously. Or if the Hungarian hyper-inflation has impacted or are the bookers just really bad at striking deals? Where are the subs? Where are the headliners that can play stadiums? Where are the up and coming acts that will be massive by the time the festival arrives? 

There are some bloody fantastic acts around in August, how have they not been snapped up? How have smaller festivals snagged them and not Sziget? Feedback on the line up on socials has been and the customer is always right!  Anyway, I'll disappear again and quit the pranks. Sorry for that.

8 hours ago, kristofm said:

The Smile: Only likely because of Flow Festival in Scandinavia, don't know much more

Also appearing at Oya (9/8) and Way Out West (8-10/8), then they have a show in Latvia (13/8). So only available for the the first day of Sziget but considering they're not really a type of band Sziget would book, I would say unlikely.

On 1/11/2024 at 11:41 AM, kristofm said:

Leaks mentioned they are being looked at (/negotiations ongoing):

Lana Del Rey

Catfish and the Bottlemen

Charli XCX

Keane

The Strokes / Queens of the Stone Age

also in negotiations with Jorja Smith and 2 of these:

IMG_0156.jpeg.15afb032bb0910fa4b0766c24ef29add.jpeg

(which I feel like are RAYE and Jungle)

hey, I'm thinking about skipping sziget and going to either primavera or madcool instead. i read some comments here saying that the vibes don't match that of sziget's but honestly, with how the lineup is looking, I'm starting to feel that the vibes alone will just simply not be enough for me, but I've never been to either, so I can't really compare

question to those of you who have attended either (or both) primavera or madcool, which would you rather recommend? what are the impressions and pros/cons of each?

On 1/11/2024 at 1:46 PM, So Sad Simon said:

Okay I understand I'm the last person you all want to hear from due to my previous pranks. Understand that I only did that to try and get Leaks to spill the beans. Not sure it worked.

I am a Sziget fan. Been every year since 2017 and I've got to say that however you look at this first announcement it is awful. I'm sure we've all been listening to the many acts we've never heard of before and thinking we would go to see them. But ask yourself how many acts are you truly excited to see?

I wonder if the under 21 offer has been too successful and left organisers with nowhere near as much income as previously. Or if the Hungarian hyper-inflation has impacted or are the bookers just really bad at striking deals? Where are the subs? Where are the headliners that can play stadiums? Where are the up and coming acts that will be massive by the time the festival arrives? 

There are some bloody fantastic acts around in August, how have they not been snapped up? How have smaller festivals snagged them and not Sziget? Feedback on the line up on socials has been and the customer is always right!  Anyway, I'll disappear again and quit the pranks. Sorry for that.

You are not forgiven for your pranks but I will address a couple of the points you raise. 

Only the Sziget organisers know what their aims are. If it's to maintain the integrity and legacy of the festival then the announcement was a fail.

If it's to make money then who knows, they may have sold hundreds of thousands of tickets prior to announcement. 

One thing is certain, they're unlikely to have sold many since the announcement. It's an incredibly fractured line-up at the moment, BUT an exceptional second announcement can resolve this. 

3 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

It's an incredibly fractured line-up at the moment, BUT an exceptional second announcement can resolve this. 

For the sake of passing the time till announcement, which acts do you think could solidify the current line-up whilst maintaining Sziget's commercial appeal?

• Upvote 1